Volunteering at the Museum
We are currently loooking for volunteers to fill the roles listed below. If you are interested in any of them, or would like more details, please contact the Museum.
- Volunteer Co-ordinator
Help is required with co-ordinating the volunteers of the museum. This mainly admin based role is very neglected and therefore needs to be bought up to date, organised and continued. Some duties include keeping records up to date, organising rotas, organising people and events for volunteers as well as representing the Museum at other volunteer events.
- Visitor Reception/Shop
An important role is our Visitor reception & shop. We need friendly sociable volunteers to welcome our visitors and set them on their visit around the museum. This position is very varied and no two days can be the same from very quite to very busy. The museum is growing fast and visitors are on the increase, this is a very exciting time to become involved with us.
- Marketing and PR Assistant
We are urgently looking for a volunteer who can take the lead on the promotion of the museum through leaflet distribution, articles in relevant publications with regard to marketing and event promotion, website updates, local press updates and relationship building. Poster updates and distribution. Develop, explore and promote opportunities for photo shoots, filming and small public receptions. A chance for an enthusiastic volunteer to start these opportunities from afresh.
- Assistant Librarian
The museum holds an extensive collection of historic books, documents and manuscripts all of which are recorded using a card index system, museum library database and printed back up. We need a volunteer library assistant to update our records, re-organise the library system, ensure our collection is fully documented and put into place a robust system of control and organisation. This is an exciting opportunity for anyone who is interested in libraries and working in a historic library environment.
- Events Organiser/Assistant
The Museum is developing an exciting events programme and need volunteers who could either:
- Take the lead in organising events, thinking of good events to hold at the museum for children, adults & families. Bring everything together from ensuring we have enough volunteers to cover, bring in local business to support the event, find funding or sponsorship for the event;
- Help the event organiser and assist them with the progression and organisation of an event and be available to assist on the day.
- Conservation Assistants
Conservation Assistants are needed for:
- Specialist cleaning of our objects on a rotational basis. Full training will be given and no previous knowledge is needed. This is an opportunity to get us close and handle some really interesting and beautiful historical objects.
- Maintaining the conservation database: computer skills are essential for helping us to keep up to date with our artefact catalogue library system. For this you also need to be organised and interested in data input.
- Administration Assistant
This role will be very varied; the museum has many admin systems which need updating, organising and progressing. The role will include using a computer, word and excel particularly. You will need to be organised and enjoy creating paperwork systems. Ideally be good at responding to e-mails and correspondence and answer the phone from time to time, dealing with requests and taking messages. This position is very varied and no 2 days can be the same, the small office can be either very quiet or very busy.
CLICK HERE for a volunteer appliction form
(.pdf, Adobe Reader document).
Please print this, complete it and send it to:
The Cowper and Newton Museum