|The Bucks Standard, February 18, 1899
FIRE.- Two Cottagers Burnt Out.- About 11.15 on Thursday night last, February 16, a fire of an alarming nature broke out in this village when two cottages the property of Lord Carrington, and occupied by Messrs. Bird and Powell respectively, were completely burnt out. The fire was discovered in a barn adjoining one of the cottages by some of Mr. Bird’s family, and the barn being full of straw, efforts were made, and it was thought successful, to put out the flames, but afterwards in shifting the straw some underneath again burnt into flame and at once a furious conflagration was raging. The cottages were thatched and afforded ready fuel to the flames. Efforts were made to check the fire, and the Stony Stratford Brigade were sent. When they arrived, the fire had got good hold, but a plentiful supply of water being at hand the flames were at once …stored, but not before the cottages were a mass of ruins. Mr. Bird’s furniture was completely burnt up, but some of Mr. Powel’s was saved. The Buildings were it is believed, insured, but the poor occupiers have lost their all. Mr. Bird, who is a signalman on the railway, was in the unfortunate position of seeing his home burnt up before his eyes, but could not get away from his box until relieved.
Mercury & Herald, Thursday, July 15, 1971
When Mr. Gobbey was a boy a big blaze started in the large store where Farmer Amos kept tackle and several cottages were involved. One of them was the home of Billy Bird, a railway signalman, who was on duty at the time and from the signal-box watched the destruction of his cottage.