Northampton Mercury 16 June 1922
CASTLETHORPE WEDDING. MISS OLIVE MIDDLETON AND MR. K. A. BLAIR.
A pretty wedding was solemnised at the Castlethorpe Parish Church Saturday, when Miss Olive M. Middleton, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. H. Middleton, of Castlethorpe, and Mr. Kenneth A. Blair, of London, were married. The church had been tastefully decorated by lady friends, with flowers kindly given by Mrs. Borrett, of Haddon Hall, West Haddon, and late of Hatton Court, Hanslope. The flowers provided an artistic setting for the charming scene. The service was conducted by the Rev. W. J. Harkness (vicar), and Miss Gregory presided at the organ. The hymns were Lead us, Heavenly Father,” and “ Perfect Love.”
The bride, who was given away by her father, wore a charming dress of ivory crepe-de-chine, with bodice and panel of brocade, and girdle of pearls. Her veil was tulle trimmed with Honiton point lace, with coronet pearls and lace. She carried a beautiful bouquet of pink and white carnations and roses, the gift of Mrs. Borrett.
The two elder bridesmaids were Miss Hilda Pheasant and Miss Dorothy Clarke, cousins of the bride, who wore dresses of pink crepe-de-chine with veils, and carried sprays of carnations. They each received beautiful handbag as a present from the bridegroom The two younger bridesmaids were Miss Marjorie and Miss Phyllis Hewett, nieces of the bridegroom, who wore beautiful dresses of white crepe-de-chine, trimmed with pink. Their gold and enamel bangles were the gift of the bridegroom. Mr. Harry Jones, of London, friend of the bridegroom, was the best man.
The bridegroom’s present to the bride was diamond ring. The bride travelled a navy blue gabardine costume and navy blue hat.
About sixty guests attended the reception at the Council School. After the breakfast several interesting speeches were made. The Rev. W. J. Harkness said that this occasion he was counsel for the bride, he knew her so well, and also referred to the Scottish family connection of the bridegroom. The toast to the bride and bridegroom was ably replied to by the bridegroom. Mr. Harry Jones suitably replied to the toast to the bridesmaids. Mr. A. Masterman proposed the toast to the bride and parents, and Mr. Middleton suitably acknowledged the toast. The good wishes of the bride’s school friends were voiced by Mr. Leonard Nichols in a humorous little speech in which he referred to the bride's school days.
The bride and bridegroom left for Oxford, en route for Torquay, where the honeymoon is being spent. After the happy couple had left, the guests were given musical entertainment many of the company contributing to the programme.
The Bucks Standard 17 July 1922
A PRETTY WEDDING. Much interest was taken on Saturday, June 10, in the wedding at Castlethorpe Parish Church of Miss Olive M. Middleton, daughter of Mr. H. H. Middleton, Headmaster of the Council School, Castlethorpe, and Mrs. Middleton. The bridegroom was Mr. Kenneth A. Blair, of London. The sun shed his benediction upon the happy ceremony, which was attended by a large number of friends from far and near. The church had been beautifully decorated with flowers kindly given by Mrs. Borrett, of Haddon Hall, West Haddon, and late of Hatton Court, Hanslope. The flowers provided as artistic setting for the charming scene. The service was conducted by the Rev. W. J. Harkness (vicar), and Miss Gregory was the organist. The hymns were “Lead us Heavenly Father, lead us,” and “O perfect love.” The bride who was given away by her father wore a charming dress of ivory crepe de chine with bodice and panel of brocade and a girdle of pearls. Her veil was of tulle trimmed with Honiton point lace with coronet of pearls and lace. She carried a beautiful bouquet of pink and white carnations and roses, the gift of Mrs. Borrett. The two elder bridesmaids were Miss Hilda Pheasant and Miss Dorothy Clarke, cousins of the bride, who wore dresses of pink crepe de chine with veils, and carried sprays of carnations. The bridegroom presented them with two beautiful handbags. The two younger bridesmaids were Miss Marjorie and Miss Phyllis Hewitt (nieces of the bridgegroom), who wore dress of white crepe de chine trimmed with pink. Their gold and enamel bangles were gifts of the bridegroom. The bride’s mother wore a pretty dress of grey crepe de chine trimmed with oriental embroidery, and a hat to match. The bridegroom’s mother was tastefully attired in mole crepe de chine, with hat to match. Mr. Harry Jones, of London, a friend of the bridegroom, very able carried out the duties of best man. The bridegroom’s present to the bride was a diamond ring. After the reception at the Council School, attended by about 60 guests, the happy couple left for Oxford en route for Torquay, where the honeymoon is being spent. The bride travelled in a navy blue gabardine costume and hat to match. Many very valuable and handsome presents were received.
The Bucks Standard 11 December 1926
Presentation to Popular Schoolmistress
An interesting event occurred on Friday, December 3, in the Council Schools, Castlethorpe, when in the presence of many friends and old scholars a presentation was made to Mrs. H. H. Middleton [Frances] on her retirement from the post of head mistress of the Council Schools, a position she has held for 30 years.
Before the presentation, the chairman of the Managers (Mr. J. E. Whiting) called upon Mr. E. Richardson, as the oldest Manager to make a few remarks. Mr. Richardson who spoke at length of the splendid service rendered by Mrs. Middleton during her long period in the school, said that although such a gathering as the present one might occasion regret he felt sure that the influence and help of Mrs. Middleton upon those who had passed through her care would not soon be forgotten, and the presence of so many old scholars there was a testimony to the fact.
Mr. J. E. Whiting then called upon Mrs. Markham as the only lady member among the Managers, to make the presentation. Mrs. Markham in a pleasing speech, said the training of the child was a most important matter and she believed that in Mrs. Middleton they had had one of the best of teachers, and asked her acceptance of a handsome mahogany bureau with a plate suitably inscribed, which had been subscribed for most willingly by all. Mrs. Middleton upon rising to receive the gift, was greeted with rousing cheers and seemed much touched by her reception. In a few well chosen words Mrs. Middleton expressed her thanks, first, to those who had given so generously towards such a handsome present, secondly to the infants and their mistress, Miss Lack, who on the last day at school presented her with a fruit service, and thirdly to the older girls, who on their own initiative collected among themselves and presented her with a silver dorcas thimble. Mrs. Middleton, continuing, said she had always tried to be a help to those under her care and although retiring from the school still wished to be of service to any old scholars who might consult her. Mr. Middleton, in a few words, expressed pleasure at the presence of so many parents and old scholars at such a gathering. Mr. J. Marsh also spoke of his indebtedness as a parent, and the chairman (Mr. J. E. Whiting) in a short, racy speech, concluded with the benefit and help he received as one of the oldest scholars present. The following ladies and gentlemen kindly helped at the concert during the evening. Misses G. Olney and E. Richardson, Mesdames Cowley and Evans and Messrs. J. Nichols, J. Cowley, A. Clarke, E. Bates, A. Richardson and H. H. Middleton, and a most enjoyable evening terminated with the singing of the National Anthem.
Northampton Mercury 28 February 1930
Mr. H. H. Middleton, who has been Headmaster at Castlethorpe Council Schools for many years, is retiring at Easter. A movement is on foot to transfer the elder children to the Wolverton Schools, leaving only children under 11 years of age at Castlethorpe, under the charge of a lady teacher.
Northampton Mercury 22 June 1945
Mr. H. H. Middleton, who for nearly the whole of his scholastic career was headmaster at Castlethorpe School, died at Teddington, where he was staying with his daughter and son-in-law. He retired soon after the 1914-18 war, and had been living Twickenham.