White Wings Vol 1
The Carnatic a fine clipper ship of 871 tons built at Sunderland by Pile in 1867 and chartered by the NZ Steamship Company, was never fortunate enough to make any sensational passages outwards, but, on one occasion when in command of Captain Moon she ran home in 69.5 days from Port Chalmers. This was in 1874 on her return voyage from the Dominion
Her outward passage on this occasion under Captain Moon was made in 84 days from Plymouth to Port Chalmers.
She sailed with 250 passengers on 8 Dec 1873, crossed the equator on 8 January and sigted the Snares on 25 Feb 1874, 81 days out.
The following year the Carnatic brought another batch of immigrants to Picton and Wellington. She sailed from Plymouth on 28 Sept 1874 and after landing passengers and some cargo at Picton, arrived in Wellington on January 16, 1875.
On the third and last voyage she was dispatched from Gravesend on 24 Sept 1875 under Captain Chapman and after a tedious passage of 119 days, arrived in Auckland on 21 Jan 1876. In those days very little cargo was offering in the Dominion and the Carnatic remained at anchor in the harbour for 6 months, when she then sailed for London with General cargo.
On her return to London the Carnatic made a voyage to San Fransisco and had a narrow escape of being totally wrecked before reaching her destination.