Fri/Sat/Sun June 26th/27th/28th 1987

Dover Area
Annual Weekend Trip for the Cub Scouts

Cub Scouts looking in the rock pools at Folkestone
Cub Scouts looking in the rock pools at Folkestone

We met at 3.45 p.m. on Friday at the Headquarters. After the Cub Scouts gave their pocket money to Kaa for safe keeping we said our farewells to the parents and set off southwards. The transport was provided by a hired minibus driven by Baloo, Mr. Monk’s minibus and Mr. Goldsmith’s car.

Having made good progress we stopped at South Mimms service station for tea. Julia’s Pantry seemed overwhelmed by an order of 29 take away meals but Baloo soon got behind the counter to organise things. Suitably fed we then continued our journey but slow progress to the Dartford Tunnel delayed our arrival at the Dover Youth Hostel until 9.15 p.m.

Story time for the Cub Scouts

The Cub Scouts were then organised into 3 dormitories and after a good wash they were ordered to bed and hopefully some sleep would result.

We all arose early for our breakfast and prepared ourselves for the day’s activities. Having virtually eaten all put before us and washed up we travelled to the Dover front. Despite the fact that Dover Harbour is used for Ferry traffic, Dwight decided that one of his shoes should make the crossing to France. After salvaging the shoe we travelled to Dover Castle in thick fog, our scouting knowledge came in useful as we actually found it. We split into sixes and proceeded to explain the very interesting castle and after souvenirs had been purchased we headed for Folkestone.

Mr. Lockhurst talking to the Cub Scouts

Arriving at Folkestone Harbour we were met by Mr. Martin Lockhurst a Berthing Master for Sea Link Ferries. He gave us a fact filled guided tour of the Ferry Terminal.

Whilst we were engaged in a very interesting explanation of the berthing procedures the Horsa Ferry appeared out of the fog and we watched the actual berthing.

Mr. Lockhurst arranged for the party to have a quick look around the Horsa before it was loaded for its return trip to France. We were privileged to be allowed on the bridge to see all the instruments required to sail such a vessel. Kaa being observant spotted a Cub cap left on the navigation desk which was very fortunate as it could have caused problems for the captain finding Graham’s cap on his navigation chart during his return journey.

We thanked Mr. Lockhurst for a most interesting tour and then walked to the beach. Having eaten our packed lunch the Cub Scouts changed into swim wear to brave the elements. After a football match on the beach the lads struggled back into uniforms.

The whole party led by Akela then embarked on a cliff ramble to another beach. Although the going was quite strenuous, ask Kaa, it was an enjoyable interlude before we made our way back to the Youth Hostel at Dover. After a good wash and change into leisure wear we feasted on the excellent dinner. Having washed up we organised a Quiz between the sixes which was watched with interest by a Dutch lad who was working at the Hostel and wanted to improve his English, some chance. The cub scouts retired to their bed tired but happy after an action packed day.

The Cub Scouts on the steps of the Youth Hostel at Dover.

Sunday morning once again saw us up early to pack our things ready for departure. The breakfast was consumed with enthusiasm and as Mr. Monk had been addicted to his boiled eggs any surplus was collected for him to eat later. We said our farewells to the lady Warden who had looked after us very well during our stay, spotting our Dutch friend enjoying an English fried breakfast whilst we had had continental, Kaa was not amused.

Cub Scouts standing by the miniture train at New Romney Station
Cub Scouts standing by the miniture train at New Romney Station

Arriving at Hythe we took the miniature train to New Romney which was very exciting, unfortunately Baloo, Mr. Monk and Mr. Goldsmith couldn’t travel with us as they had to take our transport to New Romney, our destination.

We then journeyed a short way to the beach at Littlestone-on-Sea in glorious weather.

The Cub Scouts and some adults were soon into swimwear to enjoy the sun and the sea. During our fun the tranquility of the beach was disturbed by Baloo asking a party of sunbathers why their dog had picked out Graham to try out its teeth. Having eaten our lunch and Mr. Monk about a dozen eggs we prepared to start our return journey.

Bagheera had arranged a refreshment stop at his parents’ house at Ashford where refreshing drink was provided in their garden. The Dartford Tunnel presented no trouble this time and we made good progress to South Mimms service station. After a drink or ice-cream were purchased we had an eventful game of cricket between the sixes on the play area. During the game a policeman in a patrol car through his loudspeaker said he did not think much of Akela’s bowling. Akela was not upset as he thought the policeman had spotted our borrowing of a litter bin for a wicket.

We arrived back at the Headquarters at about 7.30p.m. to be greeted by the parents. Once again another weekend trip had been a great success, full of fun and interesting sights. Many thanks to Mr. Monk and Mr. Goldsmith for their very helpful assistance and also to the Group Council whose financial support and encouragement made such a trip possible.

The Party
White Six T. Coles, G. Bannon, P. Collyer, S. Barfoot, E. Parker, W. Giffin
Green Six J. Porter, L. McDonald, G. Hill, D. Mortimore, B. Fricker, A. Cross
Yellow Six M. Goldsmith, S. Hart, E. Ashcroft, G. Homer, L. Ashton, I. Eaglestone
Blue Six E. Cox, B. Langridge, W. Monk, D. Williamson, A. Wilson
23 Cubs
£17 Fee

Leaders: Akela, Ballo, Bagheera, Kaa and Mr. Monk with Mr. Goldsmith

Akela C.S.L.

Written by Akela - (Robin Coles) - Cub Scout Leader