|Buildings in Hanslope|
28 Park Road
|Back||Family History Intro||Building Intro||Select from Map||Another Street||This Street|
This listed building is thought to have been built in the early 19th century, possibly reusing materials from an earlier building which is shown on a map of 1779.
Deeds provide evidence of the owners and some tenants of the property since the late 17th century when the property was owned by the Coldwell family whose descendants, through the female line, retained ownership after leaving the village until William Smart sold in 1802. The property was then held by two generations of Elkins and three of the Bishop family before being purchased in 1878 by John Branson. The Branson family still own and occupy the house. Several members of the family have been builders and over the years they have extensively modified and extended the house from its original 2-room per floor, 3-floor layout. Throughout the period, only a few acres of land was transferred with the house.
There is an unresolved inconsistency between the deeds and the architectural evidence. Deeds of 1833 and 1862 clearly indicate that the property was divided into two cottages, whereas the architectural evidence is that the existing house dates from the early 19th century as a single dwelling. Census returns are consistent with there being two families living in this area. It is not clear whether the house could have been divided, or whether there may have been a second dwelling on the site, since demolished.
Branson family hand-down is that in 1870s John Samson, a veterinary surgeon, was working from this house, probably as a tenant.
The building was listed in 1984 with listing particulars as follows.
Farmhouse. Early C19. 3 storeys, 3 bays with, to right 2 storey, 2 bay brick wing. Rubblestone, flush, dressed quoins, slate roof, flanking chimneys. 4 pane sash-windows and 4 panel central door, rectangular fanlight, in architrave surround under flat hood on brackets.
The following photographs are available. Click on a thumbnail to view full image or click see larger images here.
28 Rark Road c1900
28 Rark Road c2006
28 Park Road from the air, 1940
Park Road Farm in 2010
The following people are associated with 28 Park Road:
|Name||Year of Birth||Year of Interest||Source||Occupation/Notes||Probability|
|Thomas Smart||1779||Survey 1779||Owner||90%|
|John Sansom||1823||1871||Census||Veterinary Surgeon||50%|
|John Branson||1830||1881||Census||Bricklayer (Master)||30%|
|John Branson||1829||1891||Census||Builder Master||90%|
|Ann Branson||1910||Revenue Survey||Owner/occupier||100%|
|7 records displayed.|
In the above list of people, to find all references to a person, click on the Name of the person.
|Building to right|
|Back||Home Page||Building Intro||Select from Map||Another Street||This Street|