|Buildings in Hanslope|
|Back||Family History Intro||Building Intro||Select from Map||Another Street||This Street|
The architectural evidence for the date of construction is consistent with the 1624 on a date stone on the front of the house. The house has some particularly high quality architectural detail for a small house with a two-room ground floor plan.
The house was owned by the Bishop family in the late 18th and early 19th century, from before 1779 until at least 1861. Both Christopher and his son James were maltsters.
At some time after that date the property was acquired by EH Watts, and the house was tennanted by builder John Rose who appears in censuses from 1871 until his death in 1916.
By 1918 the house was occupied by Charles and Ruth Adams. In 1934 Frederick Joseph Brown moved into the house and he farmed Gridiron Close and some other fields.
Hesketh estates acquired the property from the Watts about 1939. The adjoining malthouse was demolished sometime in the 1950s. In the 1960s Frederick Brown's son Dennis bought the freehold of the house and the land was sold separately.
The building was listed in 1984 with listing particulars as follows.
SP 84 NW HANSLOPE NEWPORT ROAD 4/87 Malting Farmhouse - - II House. Dated 1624, altered. 2 storeys, 2 bays. Coursed rubblestone with ironstone dressings. Coped gable ends with kneelers. Flanking stacks. Concrete plain roof tiles. Modern 3-light casements replace stone mullioned windows, the ironstone drip moulds of which remain. Date panel between upper windows 'H.H.A. 1624'. 2 storey rear range. RCHM II 137 MON. 6
The following photographs are available. Click on a thumbnail to view full image or click see larger images here.
Maltings Farm House c1910.
Maltings Farm House 2006
Maltings Farm House 2006 from The Green
The following people are associated with Maltings Farm:
|Name||Year of Birth||Year of Interest||Source||Occupation/Notes||Probability|
|John Rose||1910||Revenue Survey||Tenant||90%|
|Cottage by Maltings|
|Ebenezer Keeves||1872||1901||Census||Genl. Laborer Ry. Works||70%|
|Ebenezer Keeves||1910||Revenue Survey||Tenant||60%|
|William Keaves||1887||1911||Census||Farm labourer||60%|
|Christopher Bishop||1779||Survey 1779||Owner||100%|
|James Bishop||1818||Survey 1818||Owner||80%|
|John Rose||1835||1881||Census||Plumber & Glazier (Master): 2 apprentices||30%|
|E H Watts||1910||Revenue Survey||Owner||90%|
|16 records displayed.|
In the above list of people, to find all references to a person, click on the Name of the person.
|Building to left||Building to right|
|Back||Home Page||Building Intro||Select from Map||Another Street||This Street|