|Buildings in Hanslope|
2, 4 High Street
|Back||Family History Intro||Building Intro||Select from Map||Another Street||This Street|
This building was part of the Watts estate at least from 1779, and probably until the estate was broken up by the Heskeths in the 1950s and 60s. The building was the Black Lion public house from 1787 or earlier, until at least 1827. Later the southern part of the building was used as a workshop. It was the post office from sometime in the 1920s or 1930s up to 1960s or 1970s.
Miss Whitbread who lived here as the Post Mistress for many years, and was a notable historian of the village told people she understood the building was originally a tithe barn. At present we do not know her authority for this and cannot corroborate it.
The building was gutted and reconstructed in the late 20th century.
For much of the 19th century the building was divided to provide homes for two families.
The following photographs are available. Click on a thumbnail to view full image or click see larger images here.
2, 4 High Street 1920s
Aerieal view 2, 4 High Street 1930s/1940s
2,4 High Street before demolition
The back of the Post Office
Removing the thatch from 2 - 4 High Street
New houses in the High Street
The following people are associated with 2, 4 High Street:
|Name||Year of Birth||Year of Interest||Source||Occupation/Notes||Probability|
|4 High Street|
|Charles Groocock||1841||1871||Census||Smith and Inplement Maker||50%|
|Charles Groocock||1841||1881||Census||Machinist; emp. 6 men & 4 boys||60%|
|George F. Whitbread||1859||1891||Census||C. Joiner & Smith||90%|
|George Whitbread||1910||Revenue Survey||Tenant||100%|
|George Frederick Whitbread||1859||1911||Census||Carpenter||95%|
|2 High Street|
|Thomas Herbert||1818||1881||Census||Ag. Lab.||40%|
|Edwin I Kilpin||1831||1881||Census||Ag. Lab.||40%|
|John Hawkes||1838||1891||Census||Bricklayers Lab.||90%|
|John Hawkes||1837||1901||Census||Agricultural Labourer||95%|
|John Hawkes||1910||Revenue Survey||Tenant||100%|
|John Hawkes||1875||1911||Census||Wood Sawyer||95%|
|John Gough||1772||Pub Licensee||Black Lyon, to 1787||80%|
|George Gough||1777||Pub Licensee||Black Lyon, and 1778||80%|
|John Gough||1779||Survey 1779||Tenant||100%|
|Catherine Gough||1788||Pub Licensee||Black Lyon, to 1790||80%|
|William Thompkins||1791||Pub Licensee||Black Lyon, to 1827 or later||80%|
|Edward Watts||1818||Survey 1818||Owner||40%|
|William Tomkins||1818||Survey 1818||Tenant||40%|
|E H Watts||1910||Revenue Survey||Owner||100%|
|23 records displayed.|
In the above list of people, to find all references to a person, click on the Name of the person.
|Building to left||Building to right|
|Back||Home Page||Building Intro||Select from Map||Another Street||This Street|