The Church of St. James the Great is a potent symbol of the presence of a Christian community in the village of Hanslope that is visible from as far away as Dunstable Downs.
It is by far oldest building in the village, and its age is a reminder that Christians have played an important part in the village for over 800 years.
The church was established on the present site in 1160 , with permission being granted in that year to move from a site outside the village, somewhere to the east of Park Road..
The tour around the outside of the church will take you in a clockwise direction starting here fron the N.E.
On the right is the entrance porch to the church. The two large windows are in the north aisle which was originally built in the 13th. century.
This view shows the Chancel which was originally built in 1160. Some of the chancel is still of that date. On the right is a chapel that is attached to the chancel. This was built at the end of the 13th. Century, and was used until very recently as a vestry.