The Lincoln estate in Hanslope
Navigation through these pages
Use the Next () and previous () buttons on each page to review in order the 13 main pages on the Lincoln estate.
From 1546 to 1918, the Corporation of Lincoln owned a large estate in Hanslope and Castlethorpe These pages provide the background to this strange arrangement and a summary of how the Mayor and people of the City of Lincoln managed their property.
By 1451 the Manor of Hanslope was in the ownership of Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick, known as "Warwick the kingmaker". When he was killed in the battle of Barnet in 1471, all his lands were confiscated, and only restored to his widow on the accession of Henry VII in 1485. In 1488 the Lordship of Hanslope was surrendered to the crown (for further information, see Lords of the Manor).
The Lordship passed on to Henry VIII on his accession to the throne.
It is not clear why the Corporation should want to buy this land. However, it may be significant that a revolt took place in Lincoln a few years earlier, and this sale may be part of the settlement between Henry and the people of Lincoln.
As a Corporation, Lincoln kept extensive records of its transactions. Most of the information on the following pages is derived from the Corporations archives. Images of documents are displayed by kind permission of the City of Lincoln Council.
|Hanslope Home Page|