1599 Terrier Index
|Back||Family History Intro||Buildings Intro||Other Surveys||Survey Report|
This page provides an index of persons mentioned in the 1599 survey of the Hanslope parsonage lands, as well as some background on the survey.
This is an alphabetical list of persons.
|Name||Summary||Building link||View Survey Page|
|Ashbye||renting land as a widow||none|
|Harry Ashbye||Mention of his widow||none|
|Thomas Birchmore||Mentioned as responsible for land||none|
|Anthony Coles||Lessor of land||none|
|Christofer Cotes||Lessor of land||none|
|Richard Dorman||Lessor of land||none|
|William Earle||Mentioned as responsible for land||none|
|Thomas Ellys||Mentioned as responsible for land||none|
|William Ellys||Mentioned as freehold of land||none|
|William Emerson||Lessor of land||none|
|John Fartopp||Lessor of land||none|
|Guy Foster||Mentioned as responsible for land||none|
|John Foster||Lessor of land||none|
|Gyfford||Mentioned as responsible for land||none|
|Alexander Hampden||Mentioned as responsible for land||none|
|Rowland Hill||Made terrier of land of Parsonage||none|
|Mathews||Mentioned as responsible for land||none|
|John Newman||Lessor of land||none|
|Thomas Nicolles||Mentioned as responsible for land||none|
|Stafford North||Mentioned as freehold of land||2, 3 The Green|
|John Parratt||Mentioned as landholder||none|
|Richard Parratt||Lessor of land||none|
|Thomas Penne||Lessor of land||none|
|Gryffyn Rawlins||Mentioned as responsible for land||none|
|Harry Rigby||Lessor of land||none|
|John Rushe||Mentioned as responsible for land||none|
|John Scryvens||Mentioned as responsible for land||none|
|Harrye Thomson||Lessor of land||none|
|Harrye Tomson||Mentioned as responsible for land||none|
|John Tomson||Mentioned as responsible for land||none|
|Marke Travell||Lessor of land||none|
|Robert Travell||Mentioned as responsible for land||none|
|Alexander Troughton||Mentioned as responsible for land||none|
|Richard Troughton||Lessor of land||none|
|Christofer Trowghton||Mentioned as responsible for land||none|
|John Walker||Lessor of land||none|
|Richard Winckles||Mentioned as responsible for land||none|
|Nicholas Wynne||Assisted preparation of Terrier||none|
The Lande arable pasture and Meadowe grounde
A note on the cover, apparently written much later than the rest of the document indicates the income from this land had been "impropriated", which had been confirmed in a statute of the 35th year of Queen Elizabeth I. Impropriation means that income from this land and from tithes no longer went to a Rector, but to the owners of the land, who may then have been responsible for paying a Vicar.
The owners of the land in 1599 were the "Mayor Sheriffs and Citizens of the City of Lincoln" who seem to have commissioned this terrier. Lincoln had purchased from Henry VIII in 1546 shortly after he had converted the rectory to a vicarage. For background to this purchase and the history of Lincoln's ownership of the land click on Lincoln estate.
The Terrier is written in an old form of English and difficult to read, so a transcription is also available. The Terrier attempts to describe each piece of land, and its location, mainly by reference to adjoining lands and highways. As is typical with Glebe land, the parcels of land appear to be distributed throughout both parishes. There is no map. A few parcels of land can be recognised, mainly by reference to the much later map prepared in 1779, but at the moment most of the items described cannot be identified to specific locations.
For most parcels of land described, the tenant is named, and often the persons responsible for neighbouring land are identified.
Measures of area on the map are in acres, roods and perch: 1 acre = 4 rood = 160 perch (1 rood = 40 perch). One acre is approximately 4,047 square meters.
Images of the terrier are displayed by kind permission of the City of Lincoln Council. The original of the terrier is held by the Lincolnshire Archives which administers copyright (reference: Lincoln City Charters Box 22). Anyone wishing to publish the terrier, in whole or in part, or to reproduce it on their web site should contact the Lincolnshire Archives, St. Rumbolds Street, Lincon LN2 5AB.
|Back||Home Page||Family History Intro||Buildings Intro||Other Surveys||Survey Report|