Places of Worship

The village of Hanslope is fortunate to host three places of worship all situated at the centre of the village.
Map of Hanslope Village
St James the Great

Situated just off Market Square, and accessed through an avenue of trees the church provides a rich source of information for anyone wishing to trace the history of either the village or their forebears.

This page gives general information about the church. For the full tour of the Parish Church, click here.

St James the Great
Entrance to ChurchThe oldest part of the church is the Chancel dating from about 1160. Before that date a church existed outside the village, towards the present Ivy Farm, Park Road. William Mauduit, to whom Hanslope Manor belonged, applied to have it dismantled and rebuilt on its present site. Further construction work took place over the next 300 years as evidenced by the 13th Century entrance and 15th Century nave.
Read about the Bells
The Grave of Squire WattsA memorial plaque to Edward Hanslope Watts murdered by his gamekeeper when returning home after Sunday Service in July 1912 is placed on the face of the family vault. St James the Great has the highest spire in Buckinghamshire visible from over 10 miles.The spire originally 206 feet high was struck by lightning in 1804 and had to be rebuilt. It was rebuilt in 1805 but reduced in height by 20 feet. It is topped by a weather vane in the shape of an Indian dog with an arrow in its foot relating to an incident that took place whilst the late Squire was serving in the Far East on Government duties.
 Mr A Keeves and Mr S R Garrett beside the weather vaneThe weather vane was last removed for repair in 1963 when it took 2.5 books of gold leaf, generously donated by Mr Robert Courtman, to cover it. The photograph shows late members of the Society Mr A Keeves and Mr S R Garrett beside the vane, which measures 50.5 inches in length, 39.75 inches in height with the arrow measuring 16.25 inches.

Inside the churchThe inside of the church has recently seen changes with the repositioning of the alter into the main body of the church, kitchen and toilet facilities available and a balcony upon which could eventually be mounted the organ.
Campanologists will be interested by the ring of eight bells, the oldest being cast in the 17th Century.
The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

The chapel, situated in the High Street, was built in the 1828 and later enlarged; the join can be seen on the sidewall .

The schoolroom was then added, and the pulpit had a back that could be pulled down, so that the congregation could overflow into the schoolroom. The kitchen and water toilets were added in the 1950's.

Prior to 1828 Methodists met in a room in the building which was later the old, thatched Cock Inn, owned by Mr Panter.

In the chapel we have a piece of the panelling from the room where John Wesley preached on his visits to Hanslope on 7th November 1775, 20th October 1778 and 11th October 1779 (details taken from Wesley's Journal).

Records show that in 1851 two services were held with 100 attending in the afternoon and 105 in the evening.

At the beginning of the 20th Century plans were made for a new larger chapel to be built on the site of Hanslope Treasures Shop (building next to chapel). John Rose, who owned the property, sold it to the chapel at low cost for this purpose. However, it was not needed because people moved north to Derbyshire for employment.

In 1978, after celebrating the 150th anniversary, a restoration scheme was undertaken. A solid floor was put in, pews sold and chairs bought instead. Some of those were bought with a legacy from Mrs Winifred McTavish. A legacy from Miss Lottie Hawkes enabled the floor to be carpeted later on. These alterations made it possible for us to use the chapel to greater advantage.

The weekly meetings are as follows:

1st Sunday of the month 9.00am Holy Communion

6.30pm Prayer & Praise Service

(Free and easy service led by Revd. Margaret Goodall)

Other Sundays 10.30am Morning Service

All Sundays 10.30am Sunday School

Tuesday Coffee Shop 10.00am -12.00 noon (children welcome)

2nd & 4th Thursdays 2.30pm Women's Pleasant Hour

Bible studies take place in various homes - see notice board for details.

Albums of photos showing various aspects of church life were shown in the chapel on the day of Hanslope Street Fayre.

Gold Street Chapel

The building now known as the Gospel Hall was originally built in the early part of the 19th century as a Baptist Chapel and continued to be used as such into the 20th century.

Plaques inside the chapel provide a poignant record of the dedication of the founders, along with the realities of Victorian life:

"Sacred to the memory of Emma Hindes, daughter of Richard and Mary Latimer, who died September 29th, 1841, aged 11 years and six months. James, Foseph and mary - died in infancy. Lost to sight, to memory dear."
"In Memory of Mr Thomas Hindes who, in the hand of providence, was the founder of the cause of God in this place, and who gave the site of ground upon which this chapel stands. He departed this life July 10th, 1644, aged 71 years. Also of Hannah, his beloved wife, who departed this life March 8th, 1859, aged 71 years. In life their faith in God was one; in death their hope the same. Christ all in all.".

The Gospel Hall in the middle years of the 20th century.

Return to the Hanslope Home Page