Link to Tram home page

THE COCK AND BULL INNS

The Cock Hotel at 72/74 High Street, Stony Stratford was built in the 18th century, and in its heyday was one of the important coaching inns along the the old Roman Road, Watling Street. It received up to 20 coaches a day through the carriage arch, and provided stabling and facilities for change of horses as well as sustenance for the travellers. It was at the Cock Hotel in 1792 that a meeting was held to discuss the building of the Grand Junction Canal.

The rival establishment to the Cock Hotel was the nearby Bull Hotel, however the present building dates from only the early nineteenth century. This replaced an earlier inn of the eighteenth century. Both inns were resplendent with their large signs supported by masses of blacksmith made ornamental scrolled ironwork reaching out over the High Street, ensuring that they attracted potential customers to their particular hostelry.

It was in the eighteenth century that the landlords of the two inns achieved notoriety with their more and more outlandish stories, and gave rise to the 'Cock and Bull Story' epithet.

To read more about the Cock and Bull Hotels, visit our feature on Stony Stratford, read the History and do the Tour