THE TOWNLAND FEOFFEES

DETAILS OF GIFTS OF PROPERTY AND LAND TO THE TOWN
FOR CHARITABLE AND OTHER PURPOSES
ARRANGED AS BELOW
QUIT RENTS SORTED BY STREETS

The Quit Rent Records at the County Record Office were photocopied by Don Hurst and then typed up by Dennis.

These transcriptions and interpretation are the Copyright of Dennis Mynard and Don Hurst and may be reproduced with full  acknowledgement.

© Dennis C Mynard 2004-11



1    DETAILS OF TOWN LANDS EXTRACTED FROM BULL'S HISTORY
2    DOCUMENTS RELATING TO TOWNLANDS
3    EXTRACTS FROM THE TOWN LAND FEOFFEES ACCOUNT BOOK
4    ALMSHOUSES

ABBREVIATIONS:
BAS  Bucks Arch Soc
BB   Barclay's Bank
DB   Bull Deeds
LT   Land Tax
MKBC Milton Keynes Borough Council
PR   Parish Records


1    DETAILS OF TOWN LANDS EXTRACTED FROM BULL'S HISTORY

FEOFFMENT OF TOWN LANDS 2nd Oct 1597

" All that Burgage called the Sarizons Head in Newport Pagnell situate between the Burgage of Thomas Shortred called the SWANN on the east side and the Burgage of George Annesley, gent. heretofore of William Marlowe called the GEORGE on the west side and extending from the King's highway back to Church Lane, together with the three Scmamellis anblice (Shambles) likewise situated and being in the middle of the place there called the High Street the end of the lower of the Butchers Shambles and adjoining a certain shop formerly of Thomas White of Woburn and now of Edward Nurse, gent.

By an Inquisition of 31st July 1598 it was found 

That William Kylchet of Newport Pagnell by Will of 23rd Aug 1858 gave a yearly rent of 13/4d to be distributed among the poor of the Marsh End in Newport Pagnell.

That William Tyler by deed 3rd June 1595 in furtherance of the gift had granted a rent-charge of 13/4d out of a house in Marsh End and a Close in the Weeke late of William Kylchett's and that the rent had been duly employed

That Thomas Child by Will 29th Nov 1559 gave a tenement in Tickford towards the maintenance of Tyckford Bridge and that one Richard Smith was then tenant to the same house and that the rent had been employed about the same bridge till now of late the tenant had been molested and impleaded about the title of the tenement by George Annesley and the rent had been spent in defence of the Title.

That Beatrice Halliday widow being seized of a Burgage in Newport Pagnell called the Bell and then the Red Lion and of two closes, one in Fisher's Weeke and the other adjoining Bury Field gave the same towards the maintenance of the Bridge of Newport Pagnell, mending of the highways, mending of the Parish Church and the relief of the Poor. The premises descended to her daughter Beatrice who gave them for the same purposes by two deeds one of 12th Feb.1524 and the other of the Feast of the Innocents 1499.

That Richard Read and Ralph Hobbes by deeds of 3rd Feb 1483 gave a Burgage called the Sarisons Head in Newport Pagnell, three shambles and 6a of land to the maintenance of the Bridges, mending of the highways, mending of the Parish Church and the relief of the Poor. 

That Alice Cropthorne by deed 4th Nov 1530 gave half an acre of meadow in the West Meadow near the ford there to the last named purposes.

That John Sybley by deed dated 6th Feb. 1504 gave a Close in Fyshers Week in Newport Pagnell next to a Close late Broughton's to the same uses

That there were 4 almshouses in Newport Pagnell where poor people lived

That William Stokes of Tickford, yeoman by Will 4th May 1548 bequeathed £20 of his goods to be bestowed about the furnishing of the steeple of Newport Pagnell and upon the Highways in the parish to be paid at such times and in such amounts as Anthony Cave and Robert Annesley and 6 other honest men of the parish should consider convenient. He also gave 20 marks to 40 poor maids to each of them 6/8d to be paid one the day of their marriage, whereof 20 to be in the parish of Newport Pagnell and 10 in the parish of Hillesden and the other 10 within 5 miles of Newport Pagnell. His wife Elizabeth and his son Robert were co-execs. At the time of the enquiry Elizabeth had married George Annesley but whether the monies had been duly employed was not known.

THE FRATERNITY OF ST MARY

In connection with several of the above described properties and also with the descriptions of premises in the 1597 deed hereafter referred to, it is curious to note that on the 12th April 1585 the Queen subject to certain rents in respect of the various premises granted to John Walton and John Cressett
The Sarisens Head in which the brotherhood feast was held; The 2 shops called Bochers stalls (butchers stalls);
And 7 and a half acres of arable land in the Port Field; The said Sarisens Head in the occupation of George Pawley, to the fraternity of the Blessed Mary in Newport Pagnell not long since belonging and then lately parcel of its lands and possessions.

And also the messuage called the Lion and 2 Closes of pasture in Fishers Weekes; cottages in the ten of Robert Richardson; Robert Harvey and Thomas White of Woburn; also a mess, dovecote buildings and one "Ort" to the same belonging situate in the Marshe.

Some of these properties were those that were afterwards found at the Inquiry to be Town Lands and it is without doubt that the Fraternity was one of the Guilds responsible for the maintenance of the Town Bridges, and the highways and the relief of the poor and was the predecessor of the present Feoffees.      

1598
Following above Inquiry an order made on 28th August that Thomas Wythers, gent and Robert Harvey, yeoman the survivors of the Feoffees should enfeoff certain other named people.

2    DOCUMENTS RELATING TO TOWNLANDS

THOMAS GODSTOWES HOUSE
PR153 25/3 24th October 14 Eliz, 1571
Quitclaim by Thomas Godstowe of Newport Pagnell, gent that he has granted to the Feoffees
All that his little house standing in the Borough of Newport Pagnell at the W end of the barne belonging to the Common Inn called the Sarrisons Head and adjoining to the lane called Church Lane on the S and also that his piece of ground to the said house adjoining now added and adjoined to the yardine which belongeth to the Sarrisons Head (for the enlargement of the said yardine) Note the words in brackets were crossed out on original deed, DM, which piece of ground reacheth from the Burgage called the Swan to the said Lane and is now divided from the yardine place or over yard now occupied by the said Swan with a stone wall and fence and containeth in breadth from the said Inn called the Sarrisons Head to the said wall tenn foote and from the end of the said ------

SARACENS HEAD

FEOFFMENT OF TOWN LANDS 2nd Oct 1597
" All that Burgage called the Sarizons Head in Newport Pagnell situate between the Burgage of Thomas Shortred called the SWANN on the east side and the Burgage of George Annesley, gent. heretofore of William Marlowe called the GEORGE on the west side and extending from the King's highway back to Church Lane, together with the three Scmamellis anblice Shambles likewise situated and being in the middle of the place there called the High Street the end of the lower of the Butchers Shambles and adjoining a certain shop formerly of Thomas White of Woburn and now of Edward Nurse, gent.

BAS  261/43    21st September 1597
1)      Thomas Mathews yeoman and Robert Harvey
2)      Richard Shortred, William Crawley of Tickford, Mathie Conny, William Hull yeoman, Anthony Potter baker, Walter Crawely yeoman, Andrew Knight yeoman, John Hull yeoman, George Hull brother of John, George Shortred butcher, Robert Newman weaver, John Holman shoemaker, John Potter shoemaker, Robert Potter weaver, Lawrence Withers the son of Thomas Wythers, Cornelius Harvey the son of Robert Harvey, Thomas Crawley the son of William Crawley, John Conny the son of Mathie Conny, Richard White the son of John White aforesaid and Thomas Hull the son of John Hull.(These are the Feoffees of the Town Lands of Newport Pagnell)
3)      John White aforesaid, William Baton, Thomas Shortred, and John Stonebridge the Church Wardens of Newport Pagnell.
Thomas Wythers and Robert Harvey have granted to the Feoffees:
2 messuages including the Sarisons Head,
3 shambles,
A messuage near Tickford Bridge in the tenure of Richard Smyth, which was given by the Will of Thomas White towards the repair of the Bridge,
Also lands in Newport Pagnell and Chicheley.

BAS  267/43    27th October 1653
Lease of the Saracens Head for 12 years at £13 5s 8d pa
1)      The Feoffees of the Town Lands
2)      Thomas Hartley, Innholder
Contains an Inventory of the furniture etc

HOUSE IN MARSH END AND CLOSE IN WEEKE
1524      DB244/1   20th August 1524 
1)   John Mordaunt of Turvey Beds, knight
2)   Peter Percival of Newport Pagnell, taylor,
Messuage between the house of Elizabeth Bolber? on the east and the messuage called the Common bakehouse on the west (This is in High St).
Also 1 close called Fishers Wick.

DB244/6 & 7
TWO CLOSES ONE IN LE FISHERS WICK, AND THE OTHER NEAR BURY FIELD, ANOTHER CLOSE IN FISHERS WICK AND LAND IN WEST MEADOW, TICKFORD FIELD AND CHICHELEY, ALSO TWO PIECES OF LAND IN MARESCO (MARSH END), 1596-98

DB244/6     28th September 39 Elizabeth I 1596-7
Quitclaim,
(1)  William Hull, yeoman, brother and heir to Thomas Hull the son and heir of Robert Hull who was the son of William Hull the son of Thomas Hull, sometime of Newport Pagnell.
(2)  Andrew Knight, senior, yeoman, Thomas Withers, yeoman, Thomas Williamson, draper

Those two Closes with Appurtenances lying and being in Newport Pagnell which the said William Hull son of Thomas Hull my grandfather formerly held with other Feoffees by the consent of Beatrice Powell the daughter and sole heir of Beatrice Hallydaye;

Of which one Close lies in le Ffyshers Wicks between le Weekes Lane on the W; and the river Lovat on the E; and the Close of Edward Nurse gent formerly Broughton's on the S;

And the other of the two said Closes lying between land of the late Robert Aprice gent and heir of Guy Salisbury gent called Olyvers on the E; and the plot pertaining to the lately dissolved Priory of Tykeford on the W; and abutting on the field called Le Bury Field on the N; and on the lower part of the said Olivers on the S;

And ALSO all that Close with Appurtenances which the said William Hull my grandfather formerly held with others by the consent of John Sydley lying in the Le Fishers Wick between the Royal Highway on the W and the river Lovente on the E, the plot of Edmund Nurse formerly Broughton's on the N and the plot of the Lord of Caldecote called Caldecote Leys on the S;

And ALSO all that half acre of meadow lying in the W Meade in the parish near the ford between the meadow of the Queen in the separate tenures of Robert Harvey and Samuel Crystey on both sides and which said half acre the said Robert Hull my father formerly held with others by the consent of Alice Cropthorne;

And ALSO two and a half acres of arable with appurtenances (Common Rights) in the fields of Tykeford in the parish of Newport Pagnell of which a half acre is in Brookefield on a furlong called Longland between the land of the Queen formerly in the tenure of Agnes Childe on the E; and the land of the Queen in the tenure of Richard Harley on the W; half an acre in Middle Field on a furlong called le Downes between land in the tenure of Richard Barton on both sides. and another half acre in the same furlong between the land of John Cowper on the W and land of the Queen in tenure of James Cowley on the E, and a half acre in Myll Field on a furlong called Cannons between land of the Queen in the tenure of James Cowley and the land of the Queen formerly of Agnes Child on the E; and a half acre lying in the furlong called Mareditch between the land in the tenure of George Annesley W; and land of the Queen formerly of Agnes Child E;

And ALSO three and a half acres of arable land in the fields of Chicheley of which one and a half acres with a separate Fishpond and a bank (living hedge and ditch) on the N, lying together on a furlong called the Nether Hays between the Royal Way on the N and the land of Anthony Goodred on the S; and a half acre lying on the same furlong between the land of the said Anthony on both sides; and a half acre on the same furlong between land formerly in the tenure of Henry Pollen on the N and land of Anthony Chester on the S; and one acre lying in the same furlong between land of the said Anthony Chester on both sides;

And ALSO a piece of land in Le Maresco of Newport next to a lane leading from the area called le Marshe Street to a messuage or farm formerly of Lord Mordaunt in the tenure of John Collis on the N and adjacent to the tenement of Robert Mabley on the E, and a plot belonging to the said messuage formerly of Lord Mordaunt on the W and S;

And another piece of land formerly a garden lying on the N of the lane last named now in the tenure of the said Agnes Shortred widow next to the tenement formerly of the Hospital of St John in the tenure of Henry Atterbury on the E.

(Land above in Marsh End is in Bury Street, Marshe Street is Silver St DM)

1598
By an Inquisition of 31st July 1598 it was found  
That William Kylchet of Newport Pagnell by Will of 23rd Aug 1558 gave a yearly rent of 13/4d to be distributed among the poor of the Marsh End in Newport Pagnell.
That William Tyler by deed 3rd June 1595 in furtherance of the gift had granted a rent-charge of 13/4d out of a house in Marsh End and a Close in the Weeke late of William Kylchett's and that the rent had been duly employed

1644 DB219/3       19th August 1644
Lease for 21 years at a rent of 28/- p.a.
(1)  Anthony Potter the elder, Richard Perrott, William Pomfrett and George Hill of Newport Pagnell Feoffees of the Town Lands
(2)  John Payne of Newport Pagnell, carpenter
Property is All that messuage or tenement or cottage in Marsh End adjoining to a lane there called Mabley's Lane and late in the tenure of Thomas Chapman now decd and now of John Payne.

1647      DB219/6       21st Oct. 1647
Lease at a Rent of £3.10s.0d p.a.
(1)  Governors as listed above
(2)  James Marshall, husbandman. 

Messuage or tenement in Marsh end wherein Robert Abraham and John Dorkes now dwell containing three bays, lean to and outhouses etc.
Together with the close or pightle near thereunto adjoining.
Which messuage was late in the tenure of Thomas Potter.

527/44    24th June 1725    
Lease for 12 years at rent of £4
1)      Anthony Chapman, Robert Perrott, John Mathew, jnr, William Atterbury, Roger Chapman, Francis Mead, Richard Perrott, John Mathew snr, Benjamin Waller, John Smith, John Purrott the Feoffees of the Town Lands
2)      Thomas Wilkinson, brickmaker

Two Closes of pasture in Newport Pagnell called the Wickes abutting on the river E; and the highways by St John's Piece W.

ALMSHOUSES IN POOLES LANE

Three Almshouses in Bury Street, between schools and the Coachmakers were demolished by order of the Council in 1945-6 (article in Bucks Standard 15.6.46 says "demolished a few years ago" and the site sold for £100 to the County Council.

(The Chestnut tree that stood in front of the Almshouses was blown down in early 1946, I can remember seeing it lying across the road when I went to school one day,DM).

MKBC DEED 00/6
6th July 1936 Conveyance of Almshouses for £100 (with plan)
1)   John Owen Butler, retired bank manager, Thomas Fincham, grocer, Alfred Bullard, furniture dealer, Thomas Harry Sim, retired schoolmaster, Henry Buttle Baldwin, coach body maker, F.W.Taylor, retired chemist, William James Cowley, parchment manufacturer, Newman Sear Cole, baker, Revd Henry Adeane Byard, Vicar of Newport Pagnell and Revd Kenneth Humphrey Couldrey of Brighton Sussex, Congregational Minister, being all the Trustees of the Charity known as The Town Lands in the parish of Newport Pagnell
2)   Bucks County Council 

All that piece of land containing 377 sq yds near the Town Hall and forming the site of 6 Almshouses known as The Chestnuts and coloured red on attached plan. To hold to the purchasers for the term of Demolition Orders made by the Newport Pagnell UDC.
Purchasers Agree to Demolish Almshouses.

HOUSE IN TICKFORD

1598      By an Inquisition of 31st July 1598 it was found that Thomas Child by Will 29th Nov 1559 gave a tenement in Tickford towards the maintenance of Tyckford Bridge and that one Richard Smith was then tenant to the same house and that the rent had been employed about the same bridge till now. Of late the tenant had been molested and impleaded about the title of the tenement by George Annesley and the rent had been spent in defence of the Title.

THE RED LION

1598      From Inquisition of 1598
Beatrice Halliday widow being seized of a Burgage in Newport Pagnell called the Bell and then the Red Lion and of two closes, one in Fisher's Weeke and the other adjoining Bury Field gave the same towards the maintenance of the Bridge of Newport Pagnell, mending of the highways, mending of the Parish Church and the relief of the Poor. The premises descended to her daughter Beatrice who gave them for the same purposes by two deeds one of 12th Feb.1524 and the other of the Feast of the Innocents 1499.

1810
BAS  444/42    16th April 1810
Mortgage of £500 for a term of 999 years
1)      Thomas Meacher
2)      The Revd Thomas Watson Ward of Sharnbrook, Beds

Assignment of leasehold for 999 years and mortgage of Freehold premises for 1000 years for securing repayment of
(7 Pages not transcribed)
Red Lion formerly of Mary Earle then William Earle, then Robert Saunders and now Cozier. The messuage formerly of Harriet Wilkinson widow now of the Revd Thomas Bull and the garden late of Thomas Forster now of Charles Marius Hardy on the north west; the messuage long since used as a poor house on the south east; and fronting the street on or towards the north east.

Recites indenture of 1770 between Forster and William Earle

RICHARD BLUDD'S  PROPERTY

CHARITY DEEDS PR153 25/1-24

PR153 25/22
Grant by Feoffment 20th April 1599
1)      Richard Bludd of Newport Pagnell yeoman
2)      Thomas Annesley the elder of Emberton, Richard Kylpyn of Grays Inn, Middx, gent, Anthony Potter of Newport Pagnell, baker, James Coales of Tickford, blacksmith, William Barton the elder of Tickford, husbandman, Cornelius Harvey of the Marsh in Newport Pagnell, husbandman, Robert Kylpyn one of the sons of JK the elder of Wolston Magna, husbandman, John Duelles son of William Duelles the elder of Wolston Magna, husbandman, and John Chevall the younger of Wolston Magna, husbandman,

(1) has granted, enfeoffed and confirmed to (2) the messuage in the borough of Newport Pagnell, between the tenement of Edward Kympton now in the tenure of Edward Barnes on the W; and the tenement of Edward Nurse now in the tenure of William Cortyn and of his assignes on the E, extending from the street leading to the church of Newport Pagnell on the N; unto a lane called the Church Lane on the S.

To have and to hold to (2)) during the life of (1) and afterwards to (2)
Witnesses Roger Uvedale, Thomas Withers, and Thomas Kilpin.

NOTE
Party (1) only gives two thirds of the property to party (2), the other one third goes to his wife

PR153 25/4 45 Eliz 1603
Assignment of one third part of house by Joice Bludd widow of Richard Bludd to the Charity Feoffees, two thirds having been given by her husband 

1598
Richard Bludd of Newport Pagnell, yeoman by deed 20th April 1598 gave
A messuage "extending from the Street leading to the church on the N; to the lane called Church Lane on the S; wherein Arthur Humphrey then dwelt for the use of the Poor of Newport Pagnell as the Towne stocke or Town Land (Bull 238-9)

In 1833 this was represented by 2 houses in High Street which were rebuilt in 1819-20 (the site of same having been let for 21 years on a repairing lease at a rental of £10).

The High St premises now (1900) consists of a shop let to Mr William Fleet (No 25) for £20 and the premises (No 27) used as a Fire Brigade Station, and let for £12 (Bull 244).

William Fleet was at 25, High St. 1899 Directory.

This may be above

BAS 523/44         18th Sept 1693 
Lease for 12 years at rent of £3 10s 0d
1)   George Chapman, Roger Chapman, William Hartley, Godfrey Withers, Richard Edmunds, Thomas Pearson, William Odell and John Davis, Feoffees of the Townland of Newport Pagnell heretofore given for Charitable purposes.
2)   John Stonebridge.

Messuage in High St in occupation of John Stonebridge with outhouses yards etc.   

This may be above

BAS 531/44    2nd July 1709
Lease for 12 years at rent of  £3 10s 0d
1)   Anthony Chapman, Thomas Withers, Robert Perrott, Thomas Rider, John Mathew, William Yate, Daniel Hooton, Edward Cripps Thomas Smith, William Atterbury, Feoffees of the Townland of Newport Pagnell heretofore given for Charitable purposes.
2)   John Richardson, shoemaker

Messuage in the High St in occupation John Richardson with outhouses yds etc.

Endorsed “Standards left in the within mentioned cottage to be left as good as end of term.

In the Hall, 1 dresser with 4 drawers and 2 cupboards, 3 shelves, a bacon rack, a rack to lay spoons, a shelf on the chimney, a bench in the chimney, a coffer, a bed, a deal door with a lock and hinge, a window shutt, . . outward doores? Is a glasse window and cases  . . and a door to the street and another to the yard, 3 shelves in the leanto in the yard. In the Chamber a chimney piece and a deale partition”

NOT SURE WHICH

1598      DB244/7       10th June 1598
Demise of messuage, Burgage in Newport Pagnell and lands in the fields of Newport Pagnell, Tickford and Chicheley,
1)   John Styles of Little Missenden, Bucks
2)   William Pawley of Tickford in the parish of Newport Pagnell, Yeoman, Mathew Conny, of Newport Pagnell, William Hull of Newport Pagnell, yeoman, John Hull son of William, Georgio Hull, another son of Willam Hull, Andrew Knight of Newport Pagnell, yeoman, Georgio Shortred of Newport Pagnell, Robert Pressman of Newport Pagnell, Robert Potter of Newport Pagnell, Lawrencio Wyhthers son of Thomas Wythers yeoman, Cornelius Harvey son of Robert Harvey of Newport Pagnell, yeoman 
One messuage, One Burgage etc situate and being and lying in the meadows and fields of Newport Pagnell, Tickford and Chicheley. 
John Styles gives to all of above (list) the Feoffment which he got from Andrew Knight sometime of Newport Pagnell yeoman, Thomas Wythers of Newport Pagnell yeoman, Thomas Williamson of Newport Pagnell

THIS MAY BE SAME PROPERTY AS ABOVE

1603      DB244/8       1st Oct. 1603
Lease for 21 years at 25/8d p.a.
(1)  Thomas Annesley the elder of Emberton, gent., Richard Kylpyn of Great Woolstone, gent, Anthony Potter, baker, James Sealey of Tykeford, blacksmith and Cornelius Harvye of the Marsh in Newport Pagnell, husbandman, Robert Kylpyn one of the sons of John Kylpyn the elder of Great Woolstone, husbandman, John Dudley son of William Dudley the elder of Gt Woolstone, husbandman, and John Chyvall the younger of Gt Woolstone husbandman.
(2)  Thomas Yarrow, Clerke

All that messuage situated in the Burrough and now in the occupation of Thomas Yarrow together with all apps etc. for 21 years at 25/8d pa payable on the feast of St Thomas the Apostle.

BAS 530/44              1st March 1675-6
Endorsed “Old Deeds out of date and useless”
Lease for 12 years at £4 pa commencing 21st March next.
1)      Thomas Kilpin, George Chapman, Roger Chapman, Richard Worrall, William Hartley, Godfrey Withers, John Hinsett, Richard Simonds, Thomas Henson, William Odell, Richard Odell, John Judkins, John Revis and Henry Conningham the Feoffees of the Town Lands
2)      Thomas Ingram, cooper
All that new built messuage in the occupation of Thomas Ingram and adjoining to the house of Godfrey Withers.

THE SITE OF THE LYON

1624      DB244/13
Lease. On dorse " Jan 10 1624 Demise of lease 5000 years heirs of G. Pawley, George Hull and Thomas Barnes to Cowley, Site of Lion"

This indenture made the 10th January 1624, between George Hull of Newport Pagnell, gent and Thomas Barnes of Newport Pagnell, mercer of the one part and William Cowley of Newport Pagnell, butcher of the other part.
WITNESSETH  that whereas the Right Hon Sir William Powlett knight Lord St John son and heir of the Right Hon, John Lord Marquis of Winchester and Lady Agnes his wife one of the co-heirs of John Broughton farmer decd, by their indentures of lease dated 30th December 1572 did demise grant and to farme let unto George Pawley of Newport Pagnell, yeoman now decd, "all that their yard garden and backside with the appurtenances where sometime a house stood but then decayed called the LYON containing by estimation  one rood of land be it more or less, lying and being in the parish of Newport Pagnell then being in the tenure or occupation of the said George Pawley or his assigns for the term of  5000 years from the date of the indenture."  AND WHEREAS after the death of George Pawley the premises were legally conveyed to Ann Cobb of Fensham, Beds widow, late wife of Thomas Cobb, gent decd and the daughter of George Pawley, AND WHEREAS also the said Ann by her indentures of assignment dated 25th September 1615 did sell the property to George Hull, Walter Hull yeoman and Thomas Barnes. As well the said recited Indenture of Lease and the yard, garden and backside with apps in the same indenture of lease mentioned to be demised and all houses, barns, stables edifices and buildings then erected builded and ... in or upon the said premises or any part or parcell thereof as all her estate right title interest terme of years and demand whatsoever of in and to the same and of in and to every part and parcel thereof, To Have and to hold the indenture of lease and the property to George Hull, Walter Hull and Thomas Barnes for the number of remaining years in the lease aforesaid. And Whereas the said Walter is now dead the remainder of the years has now come into the possession of George and Thomas. NOW know ye that the said George and Thomas for and in consideration of the sum of £38 paid to them by the said William Pawley have granted bargained and sold assigned and letten to William Pawley " All that piece of grounde beinge parcel of the premises by the afore recited indenture of lease mentioned to be demised as the same is now fenced forthe wyth pales situate and being in Newport Pagnell aforesaid betwene part of the house and ground now in the tenure of Daniell Hooton on the one side and the ground  now in the possession John Prestman on the other side together with the same fence of pales and all those two bayes of housinge next adjoining to part of the ground by these presents granted beinge part of the long stable now also in the tenure of the said John Prestman and also their estate right up to the interest term of years and demands  whatsoever in and to the piece of grounde and the two bayes of housing of in and to any part and parcel thereof except and always reserved out of this indenture  unto the said George Hull and Thomas Barnes their executors and assigns all that partition wall between the said housing by these presents sold and the stable in the tenure of John Prestman. To have and to hold etc for the remainder of the lease paying 1d per year on the feast of St Michael the Archangel.   

1628      DB244/14

Endorsements on Cover
"Jan 10 1628 Demise of 5000 year lease to Feoffees from G. Hull and T. Barnes, Stable and barn and 8 houses and yard" " An assignment made of the backyard to Feoffees in trust for the ... of the

To all Christian people etc George Hull of Newport Pagnell, gent and Thomas Barnes of the same town, mercer WHEREAS the Right Hon Sir William Powlett knight Lord St John son and heir of the Right Hon, John Lord Marquis of Winchester and Lady Agnes his wife one of the co-heirs of John Broughton farmer decd, by their indentures of lease dated 30th December 1572 did demise grant and to farme let unto George Pawley of Newport Pagnell, yeoman now decd, "all that their yard garden and backside with the appurtenances where sometime a house stood but then decayed called the LYON containing by estimation  one rood of land be it more or less, lying and being in the parish of Newport Pagnell then being in the tenure or occupation of the said George Pawley or his assigns for the term of  5000 years from the date of the indenture."  AND WHEREAS also as well the lease was unexpired at the death of George Pawley the premises were legally conveyed  to Ann Cobb of Fensham, Beds widow, late wife of Thomas Cobb, gent decd and the daughter of George Pawley, AND WHEREAS the said George hull and Thomas Barnes are now lawfully possessed of and in the parcel of the ground demised by the said recited indentures for all such term and years as is therein yet to come, and of and in 8 bayes of housing erected and builded upon part thereof now being in the possession John Prestman which were bought amongst other things of the said Ann Cobb by and with the consent of the most part of the inhabitants of the said town of Newport Pagnell, which could not be obtained and bought without the sale of three acres and a half of land lying in the fields of Chicheley then in the possession of the Feoffees of the Town Lands of Np aforesaid of the yearly value of 25/8d or there about, which said ground and housing bought of the said Ann Cobb then were and now are of a greater yearly value than the said land lying in the fields of Chicheley aforesaid which the Feoffees have sold. NOW know ye that we the said George hull and Thomas Barnes in performance of the trust and confidence in us expressed by the said inhabitants of Newport Pagnell have aliened, granted, bargained, sold, assigned and letten and by these presents do fully  and absolutely (aliened etc) unto Mathius Conny the elder of Newport Pagnell, gent., Robert Newman the elder of Newport Pagnell, weaver,
George Shortred of Newport Pagnell, butcher, Robert Potter of Newport Pagnell, weaver, John Potter of Newport Pagnell, yeoman, Edmund Conny and Mathias Conny sons of the said Mathias Conny the elder, Anthony potter the elder of Newport Pagnell, baker, Robert Newman of Newport Pagnell, glover, Richard Parratt of Np, yeoman, John Draper of Newport Pagnell, yeoman, Samuel Cunningham of Np, chandler, Richard Hull son of George Hull, Anthony Potter the younger son of the said Anthony the elder, and Richard Barnes son of the said Thomas Barnes their executors and assigns " All that stable with the appurtenances conteyning fower (4) bayes of housing situate and being in Newport Pagnell adjoining unto part of the Inn there called the Sarisons Head, and all that barn with the appurtenances in Newport Pagnell aforesaid containing fower bayes of housing adjoining to the Church Lane there southwards and all that yard lying between the said Stable and Barn as the same is now mounded forth extending to the Kings Highway westwards", Which said stable and barn and yard  hereby granted now is in the tenure or occupation of John Prestman together with the said recited indentures and remainder of lease etc. To have and to hold etc.. to the Feoffees as listed above. The rents shall forever be imployed to the uses as the rent of the Town Lands in Newport Pagnell aforesaid are or shall be hereafter from time to time bestowed.

This below is lease of land only

1628      DB107/3       29th June 1628

Endorsement "The Ffeoffees of Newport Release of ..... Land"

1)   Edmund Conney, Thomas Barnes and Arthur Humfrey, gents
2)   Thomas Jarves of Cheshunt, Herts, knight.

Recites Grant of the Honour of Ampthill on 15.6.1624-5 by the King to Henry Hobart and others for 99 years. 
Recites death of Hobart and that on 25.6.1627 the three surviving Trustees granted the Manor of Newport Pagnell to Conney, Barnes and Humfrey. In Trust for Anthony Potter

Now the three surviving Trustees at the request of Anthony Potter sell and to farm lett to Sir Thomas Darwes (Jarwes?) all that Close heretofore called the Pightle and all that 1 yard and a quartern of land to the Close belonging situated in Tickford, late in the ten of William Thomas, then of Anthony Cave, late of John Harley and now of Anthony Potter yeoman at the yearly rent or value according to the particular thereof of 24/- . Also the Close and lands and apps in Tickford sometime of Richard Greenock, then of Arthur Cave, late of John Hartley and now of Anthony Potter, rent 10/- p.a.

And a half yard land in Tickford Field and all that Close to the half yardland belonging lying at the Lane End containing 22a 25p and Common according to the ... late in the tenure of Richard King, late in the tenure or occupation of Anne King and William King his son and now of Anthony Potter, rent 12/- p.a.

And All the parcel of land arable and sweard containing 1 quartern land with apps in the Fields of Tickford containing 12a late in the tenure of Henry Candler now of Anthony Potter, rent 2/- p.a.

And all that quartern land arable, meadow and pasture containing 5a 1r and leaze of 7r of meadow, which said 7r lying in Weikes meadow, and the said 5a 1r and leize dothe lie in the Fields of Tickford late of John Cowley.

And also a Close called Long Close late in the tenure of John Cowley sit in Tickford and parcel of the Manor of Newport Pagnell and now in the possession and occupation of Anthony Potter.

To have and to hold to Thomas Jarwes for the residue of the 31 years formerly granted to Henry Atkins on 25.2.1624-5.

Signed  Edmund Connie (Conney), Thomas Barnes and Arthur Humfrey.

Witnesses, Willia Stapp, Wilhard Weotie, Richard Somers, Ant Harvey, George Cokings and George Hull.

THE BUTCHERS SHAMBLES

1647      DB242         5th February 1647
Lease for 12 years for yearly rent of 46/-
1)   Anthony Potter, the elder, Richard Perrott, John Drapes, Thomas Sybthorp, Anthony Potter the ygr, Robert Gates, Richard Barnes, Samuel Conningham, James Hartley, John Stapp, William Cowper, Hugh Dawborne, Thomas Emberton and Henry Commendell, Feoffees of the Townland of Newport Pagnell heretofore given for Charitable purposes.
2)   John Baudes alias Baure of Newport Pagnell, butcher.

All that Shambles or Butchers Stall now in the occupation of John Bawdes being 1 of 3 shambles belonging to the Town of Newport Pagnell.

Also that Close or Pightle containing 1.5a with apps adjoining the E end thereof on a place called Bury Field and now in the occupation of John Bawdes. 
 Witnesses William Chappell and Marke Slingesbie

1694      B242/2        18th December 1694
Lease for 12 years at rent of £3 yearly
1)   George Chapman, Roger Chapman, William Hartley, Godfrey Withers, Richard Edmunds, Thomas Pearson, William Odell and John Davis, Feoffees of the Townland of Newport Pagnell heretofore given for Charitable purposes.   
2)   Thomas Kent, butcher

All 3 Butchers Shambles commonly called the Town Shambles situated and being in the Markett Place of Newport Pagnell and whereof is now Inclosed together with all Stalls shop profitts commodities and appurtenancess whatsoever to have for 12 years from 25th March next at £3 pa
7
Thomas Kent agrees to pay the rent and shall from time to time and at all times during the term at their own and proper costs and charges will and sufficiently repair, uphold, maintain, and keep the shambles and shop afore demised with the pavement of the street against the Shambles and Shopp to the Chanells on both sides in good and sufficient repair when as often need shall require in and with all needful and necessary reparation and at the end of the expiration or other sooner determination of this present demise shall yield up etc in good repair.
Witness Edward Cripps

1784      DB199/6  1.8.1784
Deed of Partition of Butchers Shambles in High Street.

(1)  Robert Jee of Newport Pagnell, draper, nephew and devisee in the Will of Robert Parrott late of Newport Pagnell, draper, decd.
(2)  George Cripps of Newport Pagnell, victualler, Thomas Cripps of Sherington, cabinet maker and Joseph Cripps of Newport Pagnell, draper. Three of the sons, devisees and residuary legatees named in the will of William Cripps of Newport Pagnell, gent decd.

.....The shambles of Lord Viscount Valentia being on the E; and the shambles of the Feoffees of the Town Lands being on the W. AND ALSO all that stall ground before the fronts of the messuage of RJ in the occupations of himself and James Lindsay extending E-W 41 ft 3 inches from the corner of the messuage of RJ to within 3ft 14 inches of the W. corner of the messuage of James Lindsay part of which stall ground is now in the occupation of Thomas Skevington and the remainder unoccupied.

GC, TC and JC to have the other half of the shambles with part of the loft over in the occupations of David Pike, John Platt and Samuel...., next to the shambles of Lord Viscount Valentia on the E. and the shambles of the Feoffees of the Town Lands on the W. AND ALSO part of the stall ground etc before the front of part of the messuage in the occupation of James Lindsay and the messuage of Geo. Burnham and George .... Osborn extending 41 ft 3 inches from the stall ground of RJ to the middle of the messuage of George Burnham late in the occupation of Richard Revis and which stall ground is now in the occupations of Gilbert Pickering, Edward Pickering, John Harris, John Pickering, and John Stanton.

1795      DB32/12       13th January 1795
Lease (release of the next day missing)
(1)  Mrs Mary Paine widow and devisee in the Will of William Paine gent,
     William Lucas of Newport Pagnell, gent and Letty his wife one of the daughters and devisee also mentioned in will of William Paine,
     Samuel Pinkard of Great Linford, yeoman, William Stopp of Pottsgrove, Beds grazier, John Williams of Newport Pagnell, baker Trustees and devisees of the same Will.
(2)  John Hollingworth gent, George Pitt Hurst gent, Thomas Meacher, brewer, Richard Higgins of Newport Pagnell, Innholder and George Knibb joiner and cabinet maker on behalf of themselves and all others in the Parish of Newport Pagnell.

All that messuage or tenement with apps sit. in the Middle Row of Newport Pagnell, in the occupation of .....Litchfield and now empty.

The house and ground of the Feoffees of the Town Lands on the E. and the Common Street on the N.,S. and W.

CLOSE NEXT TO BURY FIELD

1725      DB32/6        30th December 1725
Lease for 12 years at 40/- p.a. plus £5 P.A. for every acre that is ploughed or dug up.
(1)  Anthony Chapman, Robert Parrott, John Mathew, William Atterbury, Roger Chapman, Francis Mead, Richard Perrott, Benjamin Waller, John Smith and John Purrat the Feoffees of the Town Lands of Newport Pagnell 
(2)  Richard Toombs of Newport Pagnell baker

Close of pasture adjoining to Bury Field on the N; and Mrs Course widow on the S and W. now in the occupation of Richard Toombs. (Note this is what was later called Little Bury Field, DM)

GRAVESEND COTTAGES LATER THE NATIONAL SCHOOL

Newport Pagnell Church Deeds in Buckinghamshire County Record Office

PR153/25 are deeds for the Cottages known as Gravesend which belonged to the Town Lands Feoffees and which were demolished and the Riverside (National) School built on their site

PR153/25/1    28 August 1558
Will of William Kilchet of NP Butcher who gives a yearly rent of 13s 4d to the Poor of Marsh End
Also 1596 William Tyler confirms above and grants a rent charge of 13s 4d out of a house in March End and a Close in the Weeke late William Kilchet and that the rent had been duly paid.

PR153/25/2    20 April 1599
Conveyance by Gift
1                    Richard Bludd of NP yeoman
2                    Thomas Annesley the elder of Emberton, gent, Richard Kilpin of Grays Inn in the county of Middlesex gent, Anthony Potter of NP baker, James Cooley of Tickford husbandman, Cornelius Harvey of the Marsh in the parish of NP, Robert Kilpin one of the sonnes of John Kilpin the elder of Great Woolstone husbandman, and John Andley son of William Andley the elder of Woolstone Magna.
Richard gives to party 2 All that messuage or tenement situated in the Burrough of NP between the tenement of Edward Kympton now in the tenure of Edward Barnes on the west, the tenement of Edward Nurse now In the tenure of William Corbyn on the east, extending from the street leading to the church of NP on the north side and unto the lane commonly called Church Lane on the south. Bull page 238 the house is “wherein Arthur Humphrye then dwelt for the use of the poor of Newport as the Towne Stock or towne land”

PR153/25/5    20 September 1692

Conveyance for consideration of £90

1                    Richard Perrott, gent

2                    John Yates, fellmonger

All that messuage or tenement with appurtenances situate in NP wherein John Odell lately dwelt, a Close of pasture there called Dovehouse Close lying on the north east, the river there on the south, and fronting towards the highway there and the Churchyard of NP on the west.

PR153/25/6    11 November 1712
Mortgage John Yates fellmonger borrows from Richard Revis, butcher the sum of £50 on above property 

PR153/25/7    2 November 1719
Further mortgage of £30 same parties

PR153/25/8    2 February 1731
Further mortgage of £20 same parties

PR153/25/9    16 December 1736
Mortgage of £115 assigned by John Yates to James Bass, tailor.

PR153/25/32/7 7 February 1731-32
Will of John Yates
To my son in law Thomas Haddon carrier and my daughter Mary his wife, all that my messuage now in the occupation of Thomas and Mary, the river on the south, Dovehouse Close on the north east, and the churchyard and lane there on the west

PR153/25/10   14 December 1736
Lease for 1 year for 5s 0d
1        Thomas Haddon, carrier and John Haddon his soon
2        Joseph Bass
All that messuage, cottage or tenement with appurtenances now divided into 6 tenements in the tenure of Joseph Bass, James Pyke, William Yates, Daniell Goodman, Joseph Pilgrim the elder and Joseph Pilgrim the younger, situate in NP wherein John Odell lately dwelt, a Close of pasture there called Dovehouse Close lying on the north east, the river there on the south, and fronting towards the highway there and the Churchyard of NP on the west.

PR153/25/11   15 December 1736
Conveyance for £140
1   Thomas Haddon, carrier and John Haddon his soon
2   Joseph Bass
Property as conveyed by Lease on 14 December 1736

PR153/25/12   25 March 1738
Mortgage of £30 Joseph Bass borrows from Luke Leverrett

PR153/25/13
Will of Joseph Bass 22 March 1740
Trustees are Richard Smith and John Earl, they are to sell his house and effects and give the proceeds to Joseph’s wife and his son Joseph.

PR153/25/14  
Bond for £180
Richard Smith, barber and peruke maker and John Earl of NP victualler are bound to Benjamin Pomfrett in the sum of £180
Note Yates was bankrupt in 1767

PR153/25/32/9 Possibly 18 July 1748
 Release of the Graves End, letten to Charitable Uses
(Bull says purchased by Town Land Feoffees
1        Richard Smith and John Earl
2        Mr Pomfrett and others as Trustees for the Parish of NP.
The 6 cottages in Gravesend

PR153/25/32/3 2 November 1793
Release of Gravesend no Consideration mentioned
1        Mr Stephen Hoddle
2        Mr Patrick Renny and others the Feoffees of the Town Lands
All that messuage or cottage divided into 6 several tenements as in PR153/25/10

PR153/25/ No number
16 and 17 August 1811
Conveyance by Lease and Release
Property as above

From Town Land Feoffees Accounts
1816 20th February Meeting of Feoffees held at Saracens Head
“That the collecting Feoffee do sell the houses in Gravesend standing if profitable to be pulled down or that he do pull the same down and sell the materials thereof by auction on or before the 30th March next”

PR153/25/32/6 1816
1        The Feoffees of the Town Lands of NP
2        The Trustees of The National School
All that plot or piece of ground near the Churchyard called or known by the name of Gravesend.
Also all that School recently erected and built thereon called the Central National School with all rights etc
This Deed is undated and unsigned

PR153/25/32/2 21 April 1834
1        Robert Collison and others
2        The Revd George Morley
Lease for 1 year of the National School recently erected on the site of 6 cottages known by the name of Gravesend

PR153/25/32/4 22 April 1834
Conveyance by Release
1    Robert Collison and others
2    The Revd George Morley
The National School recently erected on the site of 6 cottages known by the name of Gravesend, the river on the south, Dovehouse Close on the north east, and the churchyard and the Common Highway on the north and west

PR153/25/32/5

A second copy of PR153/25/32/4

PR153/25/32/8 24 August 1859

Conveyance of the National School by Robert Collison and others. Enrolled in Chancery 3.September 1859.

APPOINTMENT OF NEW TRUSTEES

1698      DB242/3       3rd February 1698
Appointment of New Feoffees       
1)   Roger Chapman, gent, Thomas Pearson, gent, John Davis, gent, William Odell, gent all of the surviving Feoffees of the Town Lands and Tenements
2)   John Chowne and Daniel Bluck, Churchwardens
3)   Samuel Christie, gent, Thomas Pomfrett, gent, Anthony Chapman, gent, Anthony Bounhiex ?, gent, Richard Parrott, gent and Mathew Cony, draper, (that is Mathias Conny) Thomas Withers, gent, John Revis, apothecary, Thomas Smith, apps?, Robert Possett, Gent, Richard Purratt, Edward Hooton or Lewton, lacemerchant, Daniel Hooton grocer, John Mathew Jnr, William Atterbury, joyner, Thomas Rider, salesman and William Yate, glover.

The surviving Feoffees Have given, granted, enfeoffed, released and confirmed to the new Feoffees (3) all the following property for the term of 1 year.

All that messuage in Tickford End late in occupation John Davis, formerly of Thomas Lillywhite which was given by the Will of Thomas Childs towards the repair of Tickford Bridge.

And Also all that Burgage sometime the Bell and now the Red Lyon    now in the several occupations of Ambrose White and William Buck given by Beatrice Hollyday widow towards the maintenance of the Bridges, amendment of Highways, repair of the parish Church and Relief of the Poor people of Newport Pagnell 

And Also all that messuage called the Saracens Head now in the tenure of Richard Pinkes and all those tenements next adjoining to the Saracens Head backgate and were formerly in the occupation of William Cowley and Philip Cowley.

And Also all those 3 shambles late of Thomas Kent now of Samuel Conningham and commonly called the Town Shambles.

And Also 6a of arable in Port Field now or late in occupation of Elizabeth Smith.

Which Burgage and Tenement with the Shambles and the 6a were given by Richard Read and Ralph Hobbs towards the maintenance of the Bridges, amendment of Highways, repair of the parish Church and Relief of the Poor people of Newport Pagnell 

Also 2 Closes, 1 being in Fishers Wicks now in occupation of Anthony Chapman and the other adjoining on Bury Field now in the occupation of Martha Wosorall widow, which Close were given by Beatrice Halliday the daughter.

Also Close of Pasture in Fishers Wicks late of Mathias Coney now of Anthony Chapman, given by John Sibley.

Also 2 messuage s formerly 4 almshouses lying together betwixt the house and ground of Thomas Withered on the N; the house and ground of Richard Fynamore on the S; which said houses have ever bin for and towards the maintenance of poor people of Newport Pagnell.

Also those 2 and a half acres in Tickford Field now of John Hooton,

Also a Plot in Marsh End on which several houses are now built and used as Almshouse and are adjoining to the E side of the lane called Pools Lane, which 2.5a of arable and garden plots have bin before the memory of man Imployed for the relief of the poor and repairs of the Parish Church and Amendment of Highways and Bridges.

Also that Home lying on the W side of the North Bridge sometime called Sweetmore and now called Ley Holme and now and always has bin lett and used with the Saracens Head which Holme hath always bin Imployed for the relief of the poor and repairs of the Parish Church and Amendment of Highways and Bridges.     

Also the messuage wherein John Davis now dwells formerly given by Richard Blood for the use of the poor.

Also all that little house and strip of ground lying on the backside of the Saracens Head next the Church Lane now in the occupation of Thomas Lawatt which was given by Thomas Godstowe for the relief of the poor and repairs of the Parish Church and Amendment of Highways and Bridges.     

Also the tenement where widow Cooper now dwelleth part and parcel of the Inn called the Red Lyon and given by Beatrice Halliday for the same uses as the Red Lyon.

APPOINTMENT OF NEW TRUSTEES

1834      DB242/4-5     21st and 22nd April 1834
L and Conveyance
1)   Mr Robert Collison surgeon, James Pike, baker, Philip Hoddle Ward now of Bologne sur Mer, Revd Chas Henry Kipling of Stoney Stratford, Edward Cleaver of Islington middx, clothier the surviving Feoffees of the Town Lands
2)   William White, plumber and glazier, and Thomas Brown, farmer the Churchwardens of Newport Pagnell

3)   Revd George Morley, John Coles, maltster, George Lucas, gent, Joseph Pike, farmer, William Pike, farmer, William Price, farmer, Henry Lucas, gent, Luke Price, farmer, William White, plumber, Thomas Brown, farmer, Joseph Clarke, yeoman, Frederick Lucas, gent, John Buckby, miller, Robert Nash, farmer, Joseph Nicholas, gardener, John Fountaine victualler and William Yates, victualler

In pursuance of the Trust the new Feoffees (party 3) pay 10/- to the surviving Feoffees (party 1) for the property of the Feoffees.  

All that messuage in Tickford End sometime in the occupations of John Buck, ..... Marshall, widow and Thomas Miller, late of William Wheatley, William Morgan, and William Battams, now divided into 5 tenements in the occupations of Widow Fields, Philip Tandy, John Tuns, William Burgess and the other unoccupied which was given by the Will of Thomas Child.

Also the Burgage called or known by the name of the Poors Houses now occupation by several Poor People.

Also the messuage with apps formerly of Robert Sanders late of James Rayner now of William Cripps known as the Red Lyon and part of the yard thereunto belonging together with part of the yards or gardens formerly of Thomas Forster late of Chas Marius Hardy and now of William Cripps.

Also the tenement or dwelling house near adjoining to the above late in the occupation of Thomas Odell and now of Hannah Buckby.

Also the Burgage called the Saracens Head sometime of Elizabeth Gillett, William Tripp, Thomas Harvey the elder, Elizabeth Ingram, widow Geary Mills and others, afterwards of William Paine, Joseph Arrowsmith, and John Pawsey, late of William Clarke, Edmund Goodman, Ann Pancoust and Bridget Tatham, now of Thomas Besant, John Rigsby, Elizabeth Wildman, Charles Hoddle Kipling and widow Miller.

Also a parcel of land in Pitwell Field in Port Field containing 8a 2r 8p exclusive of all roads and ways over the same, bounded on the N by Old Inclosures of the Kickles, on the W by land late of Thomas Hooton now of Philip Hoddle Ward, and on the S and E by land of the Master and Governors of Queen Anne's Hospital.

Also a Close of pasture in Fishers Wicks formerly of Thomas Marshall, late of Thomas Leach now of George Simcox.

Also other Close adjoining Bury Field late of Thomas Handson and now of James Pike, and which Close was by Indenture of 10.10.1778 exchanged with George Pitt Hurst for a Close adjoining Bury Field then late in the occupation of Richard Toomes, then Elizabeth Toomes and which 2 Closes were given by Beatrice Holiday.

Also Close of Pasture in Fishers Wicks formerly of Robert Sanders, late of John Coles and now of John Varney, which Close was given by John Sibley.

And Also all those 3 shambles late of Thomas Kent now of Samuel Conningham and commonly called the Town Shambles.

And Also 6a of arable in Portfield now or late in occupation of Elizabeth Smith.

Which Burgage and Tenement with the Shambles and the 6a were given by Richard Read and Ralph Hobbs towards the maintenance of the Bridges, amendment of Highways, repair of the parish Church and Relief of the Poor people of Newport Pagnell 

Also those 4 almshouses in Green End betwixt the ground and houses formerly in the occupation of Richard Fynamore, Thomas Hindes and now .... , which 4 houses have been for ever used and employed for and towards the maintenance of poor people of Newport Pagnell.

Also a Plot or piece of ground in Marsh End on which several houses have been built and are now used as Almshouses.

Also a plot of New Inclosed Land in Mill Field being part of Tickford Field containing 3a 8p, late of James Pike, now of Benjamin Dawkes, bounded on the NE by land of the Trustees of Darcey's Charity, on the S by Moulsoe, on the W by the Turnpike Richard leading to Woburn.

Also several other messuage s sometime since in the occupation of William Truelove, and .... Cusins, widow, late of Thomas Harvey, Henry Chandler, William Dowing, John Green, John Castledine the ygr, and now of Charlotte Nichols, Edward Gawthorn, widow Pails, and .... Harris, formerly given by Richard blood for the relief of the Poor of Newport Pagnell, to be employed as a Town Stock.

Also a little Slip of ground on the backside of Saracens Head next the Church Lane late of James Tripp, after of John Burnham, now of John Rigsby (or Risby) which was given by Thomas Godstowe.  
Witnesses William Powell and David Norris

FEOFFEES LAND TAX

LT 1782
The Feoffees
William Downing
1.10. 0
John Keats
2

LT 1785
The Feoffees
William Downing
John Keats
1.10. 0
2

LT 1795
Feoffees
Feoffees
Widow Moore
The Feoffees
Graves End
Chandler & Harvey
Own & Pain
William Downing
9. 0
1. 6. 6
1.11. 0 2.8
1.10. 0

LT 1805
Feoffees Ricket & Hurst 20 
  2. 4. 0
Ditto Greaves End houses 4
9. 0
Ditto Castledine & Harvey 14
1. 6. 6

FEOFFEES PROPERTY LISTED IN THE ACT
FOR THE ERECTION OF NEW BRIDGES OF 1810

An Act of Parliament "For taking and rebuilding certain parts of the North Bridge and Tickford Bridge.... and for widening and making more commodious the said bridges..." The Act listed the property of the Town Trustees the income from which was for the repair of the bridges, which was;

FOR BOTH BRIDGES   Vested in trustees by deeds of 1792.

Burgage or tenement called the POOR'S HOUSES in occupation of trustees with yards gardens thereto belonging.

Also messuage or tenement known by the name of the RED LION lately occupation by Robert Sanders but now (1810) of Thomas Meacher or his undertenants and part of the yard belonging to it, and part of the yards and gardens late of Thomas Forster and now of Charles Marius Hardy these last premises were given by Beatrice Halliday for maintenance of bridges, highways, the church and the poor of Newport Pagnell.

Also Burgage or tenement called the SARACEN'S HEAD some time since occupied by Elizabeth Gillett, William Tripp, Thomas Harvey the Elder, Elizabeth Ingram, Widow, Geary Mills, and others since of William Payne, Joseph Arrowsmith and John Pawfrey, and now (1810) of William Clarke, Edmund Goodwin and ..... also all those three shambles thereunto belonging called the Town Shambles or the ground whereon the same stood. also a little Holme called the HOG HOLME and also all those 6a of arable land and half acre of meadow in the Portfields and meadows of Newport Pagnell. The shambles and land were occupation by John Cadman and given by Richard Read and Ralph Hobbs ACT LISTS OTHER LAND

THE ACT ALSO LISTS THE FOLLOWING PROPERTIES WHICH MIGHT BE PURCHASED AND DEMOLISHED IN ORDER TO ENABLE THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE BRIDGES, THESE INCLUDED;

3 messuage or Tenements on the south side of Tickford Bridge, the property of the Feoffees of Newport Pagnell Town land, in the occupation of William Battams, William Wheatley and William Morgan.

WHERE ? THESE MUST BE HOUSES IN HIGH STREET, SEE FEOFFEES ACCOUNT BOOK

1826      DB108/2       1826
Will of William Nicholls of Gayhurst, farmer, decd 14.1.1826.
To son James Nicholls for the remainder of the lease, 2 new built leasehold messuage in Newport Pagnell, now held with the messuage hereafter described under lease from the Feoffees charity for a term of which 18 years are yet to come. Now in the occupation of Mrs Eyles and Mr Goodman.

To son Benjamin Nicholls my other new built leasehold messuage in Newport Pagnell in his occupation and make this messuage chargeable to rent of £10 p.a. payable to my execs.

To son William £20.

Other bequests include messuage, bakehouse and a close of land in Hanslope. Daughter Frances is wife of William Meadows.

Execs were Thomas Tarry of Lathbury, farmer and William Nicholls late of Castlethorpe and now of Gayhurst, they recd £5 each.

3    TOWN LAND FEOFFEES ACCOUNT BOOK

The account book of the Town Land Feoffees for the period 1800-1863 was passed to me by Guy Harding of Bull, Astley and Harding on Monday 10th June 1996. It was to be placed on loan with the Newport Pagnell Hist Soc. However I discovered that Feoffees were still in existence and that Mr Gerald Stratton was the Secretary. Gerald agreed that I could keep the book for a few weeks to read through it. On my recommendation the Trustees agreed to deposit the Book at the Bucks County Record Office.
D.C.Mynard.

Extracts from the Book

1803

Particulars  of the Houses and Land belonging to the Town and Rented by the following persons.

SARACENS HEAD and house adj. William Clarke
£25. 5.0
RED LYON Mr Meacher
£ 4. 0.0
Garden Mr Hardy
£ 2. 0.0
House Mr Tutt
£ 2. 0.0
4 tenements John Castledine
£14. 0.0
Land  John Castledine snr
£ 9. 0.0
A close John Coles
£ 6.10.0
A door in Church Lane "   "  " 
2
A Close Mr Leach
£ 8.10.0
A Close Thomas Handson
£ 7.00.0
Land Mr Hooton
£   16.0
2 Houses and land  James Pike
£ 5.15.0
House near Tickford Bridge   Morgan
£ 2  5.0
House near Tickford Bridge Wheatley
£ 3 00.0
House near Tickford Bridge Battams
£ 1 15.0
Cartway near Tickford Bridge Mr Jefferson
5.0
House in Churchyard Widow Joyce
£ 1 .5.0
House in Churchyard Matthew Battams
£ 1 10.0
Goose half acre in Water Leys Mr Williatt 
3.4

For Kelshars Dole paid out of his close next St Johns piece 4 years due the last payment being at St Thomas 1798

Richard Higgins
£  13.4

There are several pencil notes in the LH margin, these are in CAPS below

BUCK ( a later tenant) against House

Mr Tutt 
£ 2. 0.0
4 tenements John Castledine
£14. 0.0
Land John Castledine snr
£ 9. 0.0
PRICE (a later tenant) against A close John Coles
£ 6.10.0

BRIDGES ( these were sold to make way for bridge) against the four below
House near Tickford Bridge Morgan
£ 2  5.0
House near Tickford Bridge Wheatley 
£ 3 00.0
House near Tickford Bridge Battams
£ 1 15.0
Cartway near Tickford Bridge Mr Jefferson
5.0

1817
GERALD I HAVE AS FAR AS POSSIBLE PUT THIS LIST IN THE SAME ORDER AS THE 1803 LIST

A PARTICULAR OF THE FEOFFEE ESTATES MICHAELMASS 1817

William Clarke for Saracen's Head Inn etc  
£25.5.0

Baseley and Co. late Meacher Ground Rent Red Lion 

£ 4.0.0
C.M.Hardy part of same estate
£ 2.0.0
Thomas Odell part of same estate
£ 2.0.0
John Castledine 4 Tenements in High street
£14.0.0

John Coles close in Bury Field
£6.10.0
Henry Marshall a doorway in Church Lane
£     2d
William Jones close in Marsh End
£ 8.0.0
Thomas Handson close nr Bury Field
£ 7.0.0
James Pike land in Port field
£20.0.0
James Pike land in Tickford Field 
£ 8.0.0

The Trustees of the Bridges are now entitled to the Annual rents of several houses at Tickford Bridge vested in them by the Act of Parliament  for rebuilding the Bridge 49th George III.

William Jefferson a Cartway at Tickford Bridge
£   5.0
Widow Preston house in Churchyard 
£ 1.5.0
Matthew Battams "    "    "   
Robert Williatt to Goose half Acre Water Leys
£   3.4
Abram Barratt late R. Higgins for Kelcher's dole
£  13.4

Trustees of the National School formerly Gravesend
£ 5.0.0

Several cottages in Pools Lane (these were The Crescent and were behind the house that Percy Mason built in Bury Street, DM)

Several cottages in Green End (these were Almshouses between Coachmakers and School, DM)

1st January 1843

A SCHEDULE OF THE FEOFFEE ESTATES

GERALD I HAVE AS FAR AS POSSIBLE PUT THIS LIST IN THE SAME ORDER AS THE 1803 LIST

Thomas Abbott Green for Saracen's Head Inn and house adj. 

£25.05.00

Jesse Parson for the estate formerly the Red Lion etc. 

£ 6.00.00
Samuel Buckby part of same estate late Odell
£ 2.00.00

Thomas Allbright house and premises formerly the Workhouse

£10.00.00
Charlotte Nichols 4 houses in High street 
£14.00.00

Thomas Allbright Close of Arable Land in Tickford Field 

£ 9.00.00
John Varney a close in Marsh End
£ 6.10.00
William Marshall a doorway in Church Lane
£      02
Thomas Allbright close near Bury Field
£ 8.00.00
George Durham a close in Marsh End
£ 8.00.00
William Jefferson a Cartway at Tickford Bridge
£    5.00
Thomas Brown house in churchyard
£ 3.10.00
Widow Pales ditto
£ 3 10.00
Luke Price land in Port field
£20.00.00

George Lucas Williatt's heirs for Goose half Acre in Water Leys 

£   13.04
Kelcher's dole out of Red House Close 
£   13.04
Trustees of the National School for site
£
9 tenements in Pool's Lane called The Crescent
£
6 tenements in Pool's Lane
adjoining Burnett's property 
£
A tenement in the Church Yard used as an Engine House
£

1844
At a meeting of the Feoffees held this 11th day of March 1844.
Present The Revd George Morley and Mr William Price
The Following Statement of the Rents of the Feoffee Property and the purposes to which they are applicable having been laid before the Feoffee was ordered to be entered on the Minutes

PROPERTY 
APPLICATION
Poor 
Church
Highways
Bridges
Red House Close
13.04
Parson's and Buckby's 
£2
£2
£2
£2
Houses St John Street  Old Workhouse (T. Allbright) 
£2.10.00
£2.10.00
£2.10.00
£2.10.00

Close in Fishers Wick (Varney) 

£1.15.00
£1.15.00
£1.15.00
£1.15.00

Close adj. Bury field (Allbright)

£2
£2
£2
£2

Saracen's Head and Cottages. (T.A.Green)

£6.05.00
£6.05.00
£6.05.00
£6.05.00

Ashway Hill Close (Luke Price)

£5 
£5 
£5 
£5 

Land in Fishers Wick (Durham)

£2
£2
£2
£2
Land in Mill Field
£2.05.00
£2.05.00
£2.05.00
£2.05.00

House in High Street (Mrs Nichols)

£28

Cottage in Church Lane (widow Pales) 

£3.10.00
Ditto (Thomas Brown)
£3.10.00
Godstowes Gift
2
£59.08.06
£23.15.00
£23.15.00
£23.15.00

DRAFT LIST OF TENANTS 1800-63

(Worked out from rents paid)

SARACENS HEAD and house adjoining.  
1800-02 John Hill pays £12.12.6d ground rent
1803 Robert Pearson pays £12.12.6d ground rent
1803-41  William Clarke and later his son George pays £12.12.6d ground rent
1843-55 Thomas Abbott Green pays £25.5.0d ground
1845 A dispute over payment whether the rent to Mr Taylor should be paid by George Clarke or T.A.Green
1855 The executors of Thomas Abbott Green pay £25.5.0d ground rent 
1859-60 The leaseholders of the SARACENS HEAD pay £25.5.0d ground rent
1860-63 John Odell pays 25.5.0d ground rent

RED LYON
1800 Mr Hewitt pays £4 ground rent to the Feoffees of Town Lands
1801 Mr Meacher  £4
1802 Mr Hewitt    £4
1803-09 Thomas Meacher pays £4 ground rent to the Feoffees of Town Lands
1805 Meacher pays £1 6s 6d Land Tax on RED LION
1813 Assignees of Thomas Meacher's bankruptcy pay four years (£16) outstanding  ground rent.
1813-17 Baseley and Co pay £6
1816 Baseley and Co pay £4
1816 For Sale by order of Assignees of Baseley and Stapleton, House and Brewery near Canal (just opened) tied houses included RED LION.
1819-30 James Houghton
1830 James Houghton (late)
1831 Benjamin Nicholls 
1832 George Lucas
1832 William Cripps pays £3 which includes £1 for garden below.
1839-49 Jesse Parsons (late Cripps)
1849-63 Jesse Parsons executors
The garden below is part of the former RED LYON site Garden
1800-26 Mr Hardy £ 2. 0.0
From 1823 is included with Red Lion above.
1827-38 Mr William Cripps
1839-49 Jesse Parsons late Cripps
1843 "Jesse Parsons for the estate formerly the Red Lion etc £6"
1849-63 Jesse Parsons executors

1843 Entry Samuel Buckby for part of the same estate late Thomas Odell £2.
House
Mr Tutt  £ 2. 0.0

4 tenements
1800-19  John Castledine
Charlotte Nicholls   £14. 0.0

Land
1800-16 John Castledine snr £ 9. 0.0

A Close
1800-30 John Coles        £ 6.10.0
1831-36 George Lucas
1837-47  John Varney
1848-58 John Corbett
1859-61 Mrs Corbett
1862-63 Mrs Corbett's executors

A door in Church Lane
1803 John Coles 2d
1817 Henry Marshall 2d
1843 William Marshall 2d

A Close
1800-12  Thomas Leach  £ 8.10.0
1813-29 William Jones £ 4.14.6 half year. In 1816 he paid £8 19 6, from 1817 he paid £4 half year
1829 Henry Lucas
1830-32 Thomas Bessant
1833-37 George Simcox
1838-50 George Durham

A Close
1800-28 Thomas Handson £ 7.00.0
1829-34 James Pike
1835 Thomas Brown
1836- George Broderick Rent £8 pa from 1842
1843- Thomas Allbright
NOTE: In 1844 details of properties and rents show that Allbright rented land in Mill Field £9 pa and The Old Workhouse £10 pa. 

Land
1800-03 Thomas Hooton  £   16.0
Then ? widow Joyce

2 Houses and land
1800-16 James Pike   £ 5.15.0 .

seems to disappear after this or is included with other? Up to 1835 he pays £3.10.0 for something which becomes George Broderick in 1836

1836-42 George Broderick   £7 pa 
1842- George Broderick    £8 pa see above

House near Tickford Bridge
1800-10 William Morgan    £ 2  5.0
In 1803 his rent was paid in Mr Hurst account

House near Tickford Bridge
1800-11 William Wheatley  £ 3 00.0

House near Tickford Bridge
1800-10 William Battams   £ 1 15.0

Cartway near Tickford Bridge
1800-14 Mr Jefferson 5.0

House in Churchyard
1800-14 Widow Joyce £ 1  5.0
1815-20 Widow Preston
From 1821 Church wardens pay for houses late Preston and Partridge

1800-4 Matthew Battams  £ 1 10.0 . In 1805 entry is Matthew Battams decd.

1831

To 15 years rent due from the Treasurer of the National School


Goose half acre in Water Leys
1800-24 Mr Williatt   3/4
1825 payment is by Mr H. J. Lucas for the late Mr Williatt
1826 paid by his administrators
1826-46 Paid by his heirs
1847-63 Charles Eve

For Kelshers Dole paid out of his close next St Johns piece 4 years due the last payment being at St Thomas 1798 

1800-  Richard Higgins 13/4
In 1803 he paid the 4 years arrears.
In 1807 he paid for 5 years
In 1808 he paid for 7.5 years
1814 Richard Higgins and William Barratt paid £4.13.4d for 7 years
1817 Barratt Abraham (late Higgins paid 1.4d for a year
1820 Mr A Barratt  4 years arrears due at St Thomas- 1818- Red House close at 13/4d pa.
1820 Henry Marshall Red House Close 13/4 due
1822 Henry Marshall 2 years rent due
1823 Henry Marshall 13/4d
1824 Robert Nash paid 10/- for three quarters of a year. Robert Nash paid up to 1832
1833-63 George Lucas paid

Extracts from Disbursements

Most cover the payments to the poor people of the town, several are for the expenses of the Feoffees, some to the Churchwardens for the hire of the church, others for the Bellman (Town Crier's) boots hat and coat, the remainder are for repairs and maintenance of the property owned by the Feoffees.

1801
4 men spreading stones on North Bridge
11.00
Mr Beatty for gravel 
£2. 4.0
Moses Fossey for Thatching
3.0

May 16th for 65 loads Stone and laying on the Bridge at 2/-

£6.10.0

1801

Sept 14th William Rose for stones and laying at TB (the bridge) foot 

2.6
Sept 23rd For cleaning bridge 
5.0

1802
27th Feb Edward Petts 8 days at Bridge
6.0
6th March Edward Petts 6 days at Bridge
9.0

6th March Battams and others for stones Tickford Bridge

£1.00.0

several other accounts for work on bridge
10th Oct Battams and Todd stones for Tickford Bridge
£1.18.00

10th Oct  Joyce, Burger and Petts for stones for North Bridge

24th Dec more stones and spreading
1803
more stones etc and work by mason on North Bridge
1804
More work on the bridges includes 35 load of stone and beer. Thatching in Pools Lane
1805
To Thomas Coles for digging stones in Bury Field these were entered next to payments to Surveyors of the Highway
1808
Thatching in Pools Lane 2 days breaking the ice at the bridges

1809
To Samuel smith for securing West Meadow plank

1810
A year rent to the Commissioners of the Bridges £17.4.3d

1811
Paid the Trustees of the Bridges for rent to Lady Day £27.3.9 and a half penny

1816
20th February Meeting of Feoffees held at Saracens Head "That the sum of £115 to be paid to the Bridge Trustees for the purchase of two houses in North End held by James Pike and lately occupied by Thomas Durham and John Bottles be paid to the said James Pike and John Coles as Trustees according to the directions of the Bridge Act, to be by them applied in the redemption of the Land Tax charged upon the Feoffee estates.
....
That the collecting Feoffee do sell the houses in Gravesend standing if profitable to be pulled down or that he do pull the same down and sell the materials thereof by auction on or before the 30th March next.

1817
7th March Meeting at Saracens Head "That the sum of £115 paid by the Bridge Trustees to messrs Price and Coles for the purchase of houses in North End be forthwith laid out in the redemption of the Land Tax".

"Concern over rent due from John Woodward for land in Port Field"

1817
A Particular of the Feoffee Estates Michaelmass 1817

William Clarke for Saracen's Head Inn etc
£25.5.0
John Castledine 4 Tenements in High street
£14.0.0 
James Pike land in Port field
£20.0.0
James Pike land in Tickford Field
£ 8.0.0
William Jones close in Marsh End
£ 8.0.0
Thomas Handson close nr Bury Field
£ 7.0.0
John Coles close in Bury Field  
£ 6.10.0

Baseley and Co. late Meacher Ground Rent Red Lion 

£ 4.0.0
C.M.Hardy part of same estate  
£ 2.0.0
Thomas Odell part of same estate
£ 2.0.0
Trustees of the National School formerly Gravesend
£ 5.0.0
Robert Williatt to Goose half Acre Water Leys
£   3.4
Abram Barratt late R. Higgins for Kelcher's dole
£  13.4
Widow Preston house in Churchyard
£ 1.5.0
Matthew Battams "    "    "   
William Jefferson a Cartway at Tickford Bridge
£   5.0
Henry Marshall a doorway in Church Lane
£     2d

The Trustees of the Bridges are now entitled to the Annual rents of several houses at Tickford Bridge vested in them by the Act of Parliament for rebuilding the Bridge 49th George III.

Several cottages in Pools Lane

Several cottages in Green End

1819
Paid James Pike for the Pond dug in the Close late Woodward’s £3

24th August Meeting at the Saracens Head

 " that the Land Tax upon the whole estate having been redeemed out of the Purchase money of the houses sold to the Bridge Trustees at the sum of £105.17 and a half penny. Ordered that the remainder of the sum of £150 after deducting the said £105.17 and a half penny and the expenses attending redemption of the Land Tax be invested in the Navy 5% annuities."

25th February 1820 Meeting at the Saracens Head

"That the resolution of the former meeting  respecting the disposition of the surplus of the sum of £150 to be rescinded and that such surplus be expended in the erection of a cottage at the North end of the National School fit for the reception of the Master under the superintendence of Messrs Barringer, H.Marshall and Collinson."

8th September 1823 Meeting at the Saracens Head

" Ordered that £20 to be paid into the hands of the Churchwardens for the purpose of enlarging or improving the Galleries of the Church or Seats in the Nave of the Church. R. Collinson, Chairman".

1st March 1825 Meeting at the Saracens Head

"That the several houses in Pool's Lane called the Crescent being in a decayed and ruinous state, that they shall be forthwith pulled down or repaired if the same are capable of repair"

1824
Allowed William Jones for new Bridge and repairs £6.6.0

to for repairing West Meadow Bridge 1/-

"   "     "      "     "      "     2/6d

for Oak Plank for above               3/6d

1826
Paid to Bridge Trustees for 2 years rent  £27.7.2d

Paid to Bridge Trustees for 16 years rent for Jefferson's gateway £4.0.0.      

26th February 1827 Meeting at the Saracens Head

It was resolved that the claim of the Bridge Trustees to one fourth of the rents of the following premises be agreed to viz;

Red Lion £4
Land in Port Field £20.0.0
Fishers Wick £ 6.10.0
Bury field Close £ 7.0.0
Close in Fishers Wick £ 8.0.0
Tickford Field Land £ 8.0.0

1826
For removing stones in Pools Lane     2/-
By cash to Mr W. Yates on account of his contract for rebuilding cottages in Pools Lane

1827
Mr Yates for Pools Lane houses £78.3.0

1836
Almshouse in Marsh End rebuilt

6th October 1836 Meeting at the Saracens Head

Meeting specially called for this purpose. Present Robert Collison, Henry Lucas, Luke Price, William Yates, Joseph Clarke, Robert Nash, J. Fountain.
Mr Powell? on behalf of himself and other Inhabitants proposed to the Feoffees to grant a Lease of the Premises used as a Workhouse for 99 years for the purpose of building Public Rooms at a moderate Rent.
It was Resolved  That the Feoffees agree to grant such lease for such Purposes at a Rental of £8 pa.

1838
Policeman's dress as per accts £4.16.00 Ditto boots 12/-

27th February 1838 Meeting at the Saracens Head
" Draft lease of the premises in St John St from the Feoffees to Thomas Allbright was read to the Feoffees and approved by them"

1839
Mrs Hanlon ? as per bill for Policeman's dress  £5.16.00

Accounts for the half year ending August 27th 1839
Included "dinner at the Swan Hotel £4.4.00" This is the first time that the Swan was mentioned previously they met at the Saracens Head. But they were back at Saracen in 1840. Also in these accounts was an amount of 4/6d to William Rose for printing.

1840
New dress and boots for Policeman

7th September 1841 Meeting at the Saracens Head
George Broderick admitted as the tenant of the Close adjoining Bury Field.
The close let to Mr Dawkes to be advertised to be let by tender for 7 years.
Bill for £31.3.7 from Mr Yates for repairing the footbridge in the West Meadow. Ordered that a Special meeting of the Feoffees at the office of Lucas and Powell be held  to determine whether they were liable for the repair of this footbridge. At that meeting held on 14th September 1841 it was agreed that the Feoffees were not responsible for the repair of the footbridge.

6th September 1842

At a meeting of the Feoffees of the Town Lands and the Trustees of D'Arcy's Charity held  this day  for the purpose of letting the Feoffee Lands now occupied by Mr Benjamin Dawkes.
Present
Revd George Morley in the Chair 
George Lucas, William Price, William Yates, John Fountain and Joseph Clarke.
Mr Thomas Allbright agreed with the Feoffees to rent the Feoffee land in Tickford Field from Michaelmass next at the yearly rent of £9 and to cultivate the same according to the custom of the County.
Mr Thomas Allbright also agreed with the trustees of D'Arcy's
Charity to rent the land in Tickford Field from Michaelmass next at the yearly rent of £21 and to cultivate the same according to the custom of the County.

1st January 1843
A Schedule of the Feoffee Estates

Thomas Abbott Green. For Saracen's Head Inn and house adj. 
£25.05.00

Jesse Parson for the estate formerly the Red Lion etc.

£ 6.00.00
Samuel Buckby part of same estate late Odell
£ 2.00.00
Charlotte Nichols 4 houses in High street 
£14.00.00
Thomas Brown house in churchyard
£ 3.10.00
Widow Pales ditto 
£ 3 10.00

Thomas Allbright house and premises formerly the Workhouse

£10.00.00
Luke Price land in Port field
£20.00.00
John Varney a close in Marsh End 
£ 6.10.00

Thomas Allbright Close of Arable land in Tickford Field

£ 9.00.00
Thomas Allbright close nr Bury Field 
£ 8.00.00
George Durham a close in Marsh End 
£ 8.00.00
William Jefferson a Cartway at Tickford Bridge
£    5.00

George Lucas Kelcher's dole out of Red House Close

£   13.04

Williatt's heirs for Goose half Acre in Water Leys

£   13.04
William Marshall a doorway in Church Lane
£      02
Trustees of the National School for scite
£
9 tenements in Pool's Lane called The Crescent
£
6 tenements in Pool's Lane adjoining Burnett's property
£

A tenement in the Church Yard used as an Engine House

£

1843
Heaths bill for printing Coal tickets £1.16.00

1844
At a meeting of the Feoffees held this 11th day of March 1844.
Present The Revd George Morley and Mr William Price
The Following Statement of the Rents of the Feoffee Property and the purposes to which they are applicable having been laid  before the Feoffee was ordered to be entered on the Minutes

PROPERTY
APPLICATION
Poor
Church
Highways
Bridges
Red House Close
13.04
Parson's and Buckby's
£2
£2
£2
£2

Houses St John Street  Old Workhouse (T. Allbright)

£2.10.00 
£2.10.00 
£2.10.00 
£2.10.00 

Close in Fishers Wick (Varney)

£1.15.00
£1.15.00
£1.15.00
£1.15.00

Close adj. Bury field (Allbright)

£2  
£2  
£2  
£2  

Saracen's Head and Cottages. (T.A.Green)

£6.05.00
£6.05.00
£6.05.00
£6.05.00

Ashway Hill Close (Luke Price) 

£5 
£5 
£5 
£5 

Land in Fishers Wick (Durham) 

£2
£2
£2
£2
Land in Mill Field 
£2.05.00
£2.05.00
£2.05.00
£2.05.00

House in High Street (Mrs Nichols) 

£28

Cottage in Church Lane (widow Pales)

£3.10.00
Ditto (Thomas Brown)
£3.10.00
Godstowes Gift 
2
£59.08.06
£23.15.00
£23.15.00
£23.15.00

Resolved That it appearing that the proportion applicable to the amendment of the Parish Church had not been paid to the Churchwardens for some years, the collecting Feoffee was authorized to pay the Churchwardens out of the Funds now in his hands the sum of £21.13.00 and also the sum of £20 now in the hands of Mr George Lucas  late collecting Feoffee and for the future to divide the proceeds of the Rents according to the directions of the Donors of the several properties.                                       

1846
First mention of Odells
By Bill to Mr John Odell Ironmonger        6/8d

1850
First mention of E.Croydon
By Cash to E.H.Croydon Printer a Bill      15/6d 

From CWS 6.4.1872
John Odell appointed as Collector for Town Land Feoffees they have £69.4.8 for repair of Highways in parish


EXTRACTS RED LYON

LOCATION OF THE RED LION SITE

The early RED LION was on a large Burgage plot formerly occupied by the BELL. The first description that we have of the site is dated 1597 and tells us that it was in St Johns Street between the Burgage of Thomas Peete formerly called the ANGEL on the south side and the Burgage of William Hawle on the north side and extended from St John Street back to the burgage of the aforesaid Robert Newman." 

We know that the ANGEL occupied the site which is now the BLUE ORCHID THAI restaurant (formerly Glovers) so the RED LION premises was the next property going uphill, and from later descriptions we know that it extended almost to Silver Street. In 1597 it extended uphill as far as the Burgage of William Hawle which must have been on the corner of Silver St and St John St where Pandora's Pet Shop now is.

The 1597 description also tells us that the RED LION premises extended back from St John Street to the Burgage of Robert Newman, which was a property in Silver Street extending southwards behind St John Street.

Later descriptions of the site are also contained in old deeds quoted by F.W.Bull the local Solicitor and Historian in his History of the town.

1713

Bull tells us that in 1713 part of the old RED LION premises were leased to Ambrose Gregory for 999 years at £8 per year. At which time they were described as follows. A messuage where Widow Buck had lately dwelt, two rooms thereunto adjoining under the GATEWAY, and all that part of it built adjoining to the said two rooms; and also all that cottage then in the occupation of Edward Blunt; and also all that part of the garden as then staked out being straight from the doorway to the building of John Marsh, a free passage or watercourse through the yard of the premises was reserved to the Trustees who were responsible for keeping it in repair". This description covers at least three properties and this was only on `part' of the old RED LION site.

1761

Lease for 7 years of `Red Lion' Thomas Forster of Newport Pagnell, surgeon to William Earl of Newport Pagnell, victualler. "Messuage in St John Street commonly called the RED LYON late in the tenure of Mary Earl widow decd and now of William Earl. Bounded on the north by the messuage late of Thomas Odell and in the occupation of Mary Crichton widow and the garden of Thomas Foster, on the south by the messuage called the LYON and now used as a Poore House, and on the east by St John Street. Rent £14.5.00.  DB25

1800 Mr Hewitt pays £4 ground rent to the Feoffees of Town Lands
1801 Mr Meacher  £4
1802 Mr Hewitt   £4
1803 RED LYON Mr Meacher  £4
1803-09 Thomas Meacher pays £4 ground rent to the Feoffees of Town Lands
1805 Meacher pays £1 6s 6d Land Tax on RED LION
1813 Assignees of Thomas Meacher's bankruptcy pay four years (£16) outstanding  ground rent.
1813-17 Baseley and Co pay £6
1816  Baseley and Co pay £4
1816 For Sale by order of Assignees of Baseley and Stapleton, House and Brewery near Canal (just opened) tied houses included RED LION.
1817

Baseley and Co. late Meacher Ground Rent Red Lion  £ 4.0.0

1819-30 James Houghton
1830 James Houghton (late)
1831 Benjamin Nicholls 
1832 George Lucas
1827-38 Mr William Cripps
1832 William Cripps pays £3 which includes £1 for garden below.
1833  a house in St John Street with a yard in the occupation of Edward Daniel AND a small part of a garden in the occupation of William Cripps £6
1839-49  Jesse Parsons (late Cripps)
1843

Jesse Parson for the estate formerly the Red Lion etc. £6

1849-63 Jesse Parsons executors
1839-49 Jesse Parsons late Cripps

1833 A house yard and garden used as a Workhouse from which no rent is derived
1843 

Thomas Allbright house and premises formerly the Workhouse. £10

This Workhouse had to be closed under the 1834 Act and would have closed by the time Renny Lodge was built in 1836).  Bull confirmed that the workhouse premises were in 1900 "represented by the shop and premises occupied by Mr Alfred Bullard at a rental of £14".

The garden below is part of the former RED LYON site

1800-26 Mr Hardy      £2
1803 Garden    Mr Hardy  £2
1817 Thomas Odell part of same estate  £2
1833 a house yard and garden in Silver Street in the occupation of Samuel Buckby £2
1843 Samuel Buckby part of same estate late Odell    £2
1803 House  Mr Tutt  £2

From 1823 is included with Red Lion above.
House
Mr Tutt £ 2. 0.0

CWS 2.2.1867
Advt Sale of Ash and Elm trees property of the Feoffees of the Town Lands 

4    REVIS ALMSHOUSES

REVIS

John Revis, apothecary was buried on 11.1.1703. His son John Revis of Charing Cross, in the parish of St Martin's in the Fields, linnen draper, purchased a 2000 year lease on three cottages near the church. He demolished them and built in 1756 the seven almshouses which still remain. In order to maintain the Almshouses he gave on 3.5.1757 two properties in the town and another property and land in Marston Mortain. The properties in Newport Pagnell were "all those two messuage s with the yard, garden and appurtenances, opposite the SWAN HOTEL". Bull (page 267) states that in 1832 one of the High Street houses was in the occupation of William Peck Coales at an annual rent of £20 and the other house adjoining was occupied as a Banking House by Bassett and Grant on a lease with an annual rent of £10.
Bull further states that in 1866 (1867 on Deeds) the two properties were sold and at that time one was lived in by Thomas Bettle and the other was occupied as a Bank by Messrs Bassett.

DEEDS TO PROPERTY IN HIGH ST AND THE REVIS PROPERTY ON THE EAST OF IT  BB19-21,

BB19 and 20        17&18.10.1821
Conveyance by L and Appointment and RL for £800
1)   William Oliver, Esq of Stony Stratford and Richard Harrison of Stony Stratford his Trustee
2)   John Dolling Bassett of Leighton Buzzard, banker
3)   William Exton of Leighton Buzzard, banker as Trustee for Bassett
William Oliver sells to Bassett
All that newly erected messuage (Rebuilt 1817 Information from Charity Commissioners) situated on the North side of the High St, which hath lately been built by William Oliver on the site of the messuage formerly in the occupation of Leonard Seeley, afterwards of Ann Chapman, since of Elizabeth and Mary Kilpin and afterwards of Jethro Inwood. The messuage now or late of Mary Keep on the W; a certain other newly erected messuage or tenement also built by William Oliver upon the site of a messuage the property of the Trustees of the Charity of John Revis and which was lately demised by them to William Oliver being on the E; the High St on the S. and which two messuage s are now laid together and were lately occupation by the said William Oliver as one messuage and are now in the occupation of John Dollin Bassett and are more particularly delineated measured and described in the plan. Plan accompanies deed
Witnesses E.A.Warley and John Congreve
Recites that William Oliver had purchased the property by a Conveyance by L and RL of 9&10.11.1812 as below.
1)   Mathew Dawkins Mansell of Lathbury House, Esq., George Osborne, woolstapler, Thomas Wilkinson of Barbican, Middx, merchant, William Burnham of High Holborn, druggist
2)   Jethro Inwood, stationer and Joseph Hindes of Hanslope, lace merchant.
3)   Thomas Hindes of Hanslope aforesaid
4)   William Oliver and William Harrison
5)   Thomas Kitelee of Castlethorpe since decd.

BB21      18th October 1821
This deed records the repayment of the four mortgages on the property and the Conveyance to J.D.Bassett.
Description on Cover "Assignment of four several terms in Trust for Mr John Dollin Bassett and to attend the inheritance. Mr S.S.Congreve and Mr Richard Kitelee the execs of Mr Thomas Kitelee; and Laurence Sammer ? the legal Personal Representative of Mr Richard Purratt; and Mr Graveley Hurst by the direction of Mr William Oliver, Esq to Mr Joseph Sharples."
1)   John Freer Congreve of Stony Stratford, gent
2)   Richard Kitelee one of the execs of Thomas Kitelee
3)   Lancelot Saunders of Doctor's Commons London administrator of Richard Purratt late of Newport Pagnell, Clockmaker and also administrator of Gravely Hurst late of the City of London, grocer
4)   William Oliver of Stony Stratford
5)   John Dollin Bassett
6)   Joseph Sharples, banker of Leighton Buzzard

Recites Demise or Mortgage of £60 on 21.12.1713 between
1)   Thomas Davis, cordwainer
2)   John Palmer, salesman
Of All the messuage on the North side of the High St wherein Thomas Davis then dwelt. The messuage of Stephen Pomfrett, clerk, theretofore of Thomas Warr and then Dnl Hooton on the W; the messuage theretofore of Henry Revis and then mistress Revis on the E.
Also Recites other deeds of mortgage dated 6.4.1800 and for a term of 1000 years between
1)   Jethro Inwood, stationer
2)   Joseph Hindes of Hanslope, lace merchant
3)   Thos Hindes of Hanslope, lace merchant

And also Recites "Diverse Conveyances" of 9&10.10.1812 the above premises was conveyed to William Oliver Basically this confirms William Oliver's Title to the property sold to Basset.
This document confirms All mortgages are repaid and property sold to Bassett

DEEDS TO REVIS PROPERTY ONLY  BB22-23, BB27-28

BB22      1857
Draft Lease of the premises from the Trustees of the Revis Charity to Messrs Bassett Sons and Harris.

BB23      2nd December 1858
Lease of messuage and Premises in High St., Trustees of the Revis Charity to Messrs Bassett Son and Harris.
"Messuage opposite the Swan, late of Isaac Hurst, since of William Oliver and now of the said lessees. The messuage of the Lessees on the E; messuage of John Dollin Bassett and premises late of Keep on the W; which premises were formerly two but now and for many years have been laid to and occupied as one with the messuage of John Dollin Bassett

BB27      1867
Abstract of Title of the Trustees of the Revis Charity Estate to "Two messuage s or dwelling houses and premises situate in the High Street" Newport Pagnell.
Recites
Conveyance between Trustees by L and RL of 14th and 15th July 1834
 "All those two messuage s or tenements with the yard, gardens lands etc, thereto belonging situate opposite the Swan Inn there, which late in the occupations of Isaac Hurst and John Adkins, and then of John Dollin Bassett, John Grant and William Peck Coales".

The following is from the Abstract

1735 John Revis was possessed of 3 Cottages in Newport Pagnell fronting the churchyard there on the S., for a term of 2000 years from Lady Day then last past under the yearly rent of a peppercorn which were demised to him by an indenture of demise or lease by Sir Richard Atkins Bart dated 15th May 1735. Revis had caused the said cottages to be pulled down and had erected upon the ground whereon the same cottages stood seven almshouses (see Almshouses in Gen History File for more information).

1786 further Indenture of .. .. 1786  whereby Revis gave to his Trustees "All those two messuage s or tenements with the yard, gardens lands etc, thereto belonging situate opposite the Swan Inn there, which two mess's are in the occupation of Elizabeth Hamilton and  ..... Flude.

BB28      21st January 1867

Conveyance of Mess's (in the Abstract above) from The Official Trustee of Charity Lands and the Trustees of the John Revis Charity to Messrs Francis Bassett and Mr Richard Littleboy.
Bassett and Littleboy give to Trustees £1000 consolidation 3% annuities

DEEDS TO BARCLAYS BANK

BB36      21.10.1896
Conveyance of Bank, No 30 High St for £4000
Bassett and Harris to Barclay and Co.
Tenement adjoining described as 28, High St in occupation Lucy Emily Lord, with yard, garden and loft

THIS LAST DEED MAY HAVE BEEN TO DO WITH REDEMPTION OF QUIT RENT PAYABLE TO LORD OF MANOR, DM

BB39      1935

Abstract of Title of Robert Bruce Knapp to the Manor or Reputed Manor or Lordship of Newport Pagnell.
Commences with Vesting Deed of 2nd May 1828

DB244/6 & 7
TWO CLOSES ONE IN IN LE FISHERS WICK, AND THE OTHER NEAR
BURY FIELD, ANOTHER CLOSE IN FISHERS WICK AND LAND IN
WEST MEADOW, TICKFORD FIELD AND CHICHELEY, ALSO TWO
PIECES OF LAND IN MARESCO (MARSH END),
1596-98

(The following is based on a translation by David Hall)

DB244/6 28th September 39 Eliz I, 1596-7
Quitclaim,
(1)  William Hull, yeoman, brother and heir of Thomas Hull the son and heir of Robert Hull who was the son of William Hull the son of Thomas Hull, sometime of Newport Pagnell.
(2)  Andrew Knight, senior, yeoman, Thomas Withers, of Wik?   yeoman, Thomas Williamson, senior of Wik in the same county 

Those two Closes with Appurtenances lying and being in Newport Pagnell which the said William Hull son of Thomas Hull my grandfather formerly held (habuit) with co-Feoffees by the consent of Beatrice Powell the daughter and sole heir of Beatrice Hallydaye;

Of which one Close lies in le Ffyshersweekes between le Weekes Lane on the W; and the river Lovent on the E; and the Close of Edward Nurse gent formerly Broughton's on the S;

And the other of the two said Closes lies between the close of Robert Aprice knight and the heirs of Guy Salisbury gent called Olyvers on the E; and the close pertaining to the lately dissolved Priory of Tykeford on the W; and abuts on the field called the Bury Field at the N part; and upon the lower part of the close called Olivers at the S;

And also all that plot with appurtenances which the said William Hull my grandfather formerly held with others by the consent of John Sydley lying in the Le Fishersweekes between the Royal Highway (Regina via) on the W and the river Lovent on the E, the close of Edmund Nurse formerly Broughton's on the N and the close of the Lord of Caldecote called Caldecote Leys on the S;

And also all that half acre of meadow lying in the West Meade in the parish of Newport Pagnell near the ford between the meadow of the Queen now in the tenures of Robert Harvey and Samuel Crysley, which said half acre Robert Hull my father formerly held with others by the consent of Alice Cropthorne;

And also two and a half acres of arable with appurtenances (Common Rights) in the fields of Tykeford in the parish of Newport Pagnell of which a half acre is in Brookefield on a furlong called Longland between the land of the Queen formerly in the tenure of Agnes Childe on the E; and the land of the Queen in the tenure of Richard Harley on the W; half an acre in Middle Field on a furlong called le Downes between land in the tenure of Richard Barton on both sides. and another half acre in the same furlong between the land of John Cowper on the W and land of the Queen in tenure of James Cowley on the E, and a half acre in Myll Field on a furlong called Cannons between land of the Queen in the tenure of James Cowley and the land of the Queen formerly of Agnes Child on the E; and a half acre lying in the furlong called Mareditch between the land in the tenure of George Annesley W; and land of the Queen formerly of Agnes Child E;

And ALSO three and a half acres of arable land in the fields of Chicheley of which one and a half acres with a separate Fishpond and a bank (living hedge and ditch) on the N, lying together on a furlong called the Nether Hays between the Royal Way on the N and the land of Anthony Goodred on the S; and a half acre lying on the same furlong between the land of the said Anthony on both sides; and a half acre on the same furlong between land formerly in the tenure of Henry Pollen on the N and land of Anthony Chester on the S; and one acre lying in the same furlong between land of the said Anthony Chester on both sides;

And ALSO a piece of land formerly a garden in Le Maresco of Newport next to a lane leading from the area called le Marshe Street to a messuage now or once of Lord Mordaunt in the tenure of John Collis on the N and adjacent to the tenement of Robert Mabley on the E, and a plot looking to the said messuage formerly of Lord Mordaunt on the W and S;

And another piece of land formerly a garden lying on the north of the lane last named now in the tenure of the said Agnes Shortred widow next to the tenement formerly of the Hospital of St John in the tenure of Henry Atterbury on the E.

(Land above in Marsh End is in Bury St)

Having and holding etc
28 Sept 39 Eliz I.

DB244/7       10th June 1598
Quit Claim of Rights in a Messuage and Burgage in Newport Pagnell and lands in the town and parish, TICKFORD and Chicheley
(1)  John Styles of Little Missenden, Bucks Gent
(2)  William Crawley of TICKFORD in the parish, Yeoman, Mathew Conny, William Hull, yeoman, John Hull son of William, Georgio Hull, another son of Willam Hull, Andrew Knight, yeoman, Georgio Shortred, butcher, Robert Newman, weaver, Robert Potter, weaver, Lawrencio Wyhthers son of Thomas Wythers yeoman, Cornelius Harvey son of Robert Harvey, yeoman.

(Party 2 must be Feoffees of Town Lands)
These lands etc he got from Andrew Knight Senior formerly yeoman, Thomas Wythers, yeoman and Thomas Williamson, draper.

DB244/8
LEASE OF MESSUAGE BY TOWN LAND FEOFFEES,
1603

DB244/8       1st Oct. 1603
Lease for 21 years at 25/8d p.a.
(1) Thomas Annesley the elder of Emberton, gent. Richard Kylpyn of Great Woolstone, gent, Anthony Potter, baker, James Sealey of Tykeford, blacksmith and Cornelius Harvye of the Marsh in Newport Pagnell, husbandman, Robert Kylpyn one of the sons of John Kylpyn the elder of Great Woolstone, husbandman, John Dudley son of William Dudley the elder of Great Woolstone, husbandman, and John Chyvall the younger of Great Woolstone husbandman
(2)    Thomas Yarrow, Clerke

All that messuage situated in the Burrough and now in the occupation of Thomas Yarrow together with all Appurtenances etc. for 21 years at 25/8d pa payable on the feast of St Thomas the Apostle.