The Northampton Mercury July 18th 1890
A NEW CHURCH. A meeting was held at Trinity House, Old Stratford on Monday afternoon, to consider the advisability of building a church at Old Stratford for the united parishes. There was a good number present including the Rev. Dr. Payne, rector of Furthoe; Rev. G. M. Capell, rector of Passenham; Rev. P. G. McDouall, rector of Cosgrove; and the Rev. R. E. Crawley, vicar of Potterspury; all of whom the charge would affect. Dr. PAYNE stated he had called a meeting of his neighbours to convey to them the wishes of the Bishop of the Diocese, which were that Old Stratford, now comprising the outlying portions of the parishes of Passenham, Potterspury, Furthoe, and Cosgrove should be placed under the spiritual care of one clergyman, and for that a church should be erected on the most convenient site available. The Chairman stated that so far as he could ascertain the feelings of the inhabitants were in favour of having a united parish and a church of their own in their midst.
After some discussion the proposal was unanimously agreed to, and a committee was formed of those present and a few residents at Old Stratford, to carry out the project. The consent of the patrons of the livings concerned in the movement will have to be obtained before anything definite can be proceeded with.
The Northampton Mercury March 23rd 1889
EVANGELISTICAL SERVICE. A series of evangelical services was commenced last Sunday afternoon in the Tramway Waiting-room at Old Stratford. The service was conducted by the Rev. H. J. Bayley, and was fairly well attended.
The Northampton Mercury October 14th 1892
FURTHOE. A THANKSGIVING SERVICE was held at the Church of St. Bartholomew on Sunday afternoon, the sermon being preached by the Rev. J. H. Travers, curate of St. Giles's Stony Stratford. Special harvest hymns were sung. The offertory was towards augmenting a fund for the building of a church at Old Stratford.
The Wolverton Express September 22nd 1961
Interest and Generosity at Old Stratford
Our photograph shows, not as one might imagine, the interior of a local parish church, but the interior of the Memorial Hall, Old Stratford, as it is transformed each week for Sunday services.
Such services have been held here for nearly four years, and sprang out of a desire on the part of people in Old Stratford to have a place of worship at the centre of the community. This was before the work of restoration of the ancient parish church of Passenham had begun, and services in the Memorial Hall are now being held in co-ordination with those in the parish church, where the work of restoration is well under way.
Members of the Old Stratford Memorial Hall are now represented on the Parochial Church Council of Passenham-cum-Deanshanger, and the Bishop of Peterborough (now Bishop-designate of London) has given permission for the Holy Communion to be celebrated in the hall. Early this year the Archdeacon of Northampton, when visiting Deanshanger paid a special visit to the hall at the close of the evening service and was much interested in the work that was being done.
Four places of worship
The Rector of Cosgrove and Passenham-cum-Deanshanger, the Rev A.E. Bransby, R.D., is able to take services in turn in each of the four places of worship with help of two Lay Readers, in what must be one of the largest parochial units in the Preston Deanery.
During the last four years Old Stratford people have shown their interest and generosity in supplying frontals for the holy table and curtains behind it. An oak cross and candlestick set, together with brass vases and service bookrest, hymn board and numbers and harmonium have all been donated, together with a chalice and paten and glass cruets, also linen cloth for use at the Holy Communion.
Communion rails have been made by a craftsman in the village and also wooden kneelers by another craftsman whilst hassocks have been embroidered in traditional church design by a team of needle women.
A neighbouring church has shown interest in loaning a reading desk and lectern as well as a donation for purchasing Sunday School equipment for which much gratitude is due.
Collections taken at services held in the hall are devoted largely to the missionary work of the Church at home and overseas and partly to the church extension fund. Diocesan interest has been such that it encourages the hope for a permanent building being acquired to serve Old Stratford in conjunction with Passenham as Deanshanger church was built in years past for a similar reason.
The Wolverton Express September 30th 1966
A PRESENTATION was made to Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Elliott at the Memorial Hall, Old Stratford, on Thursday evening at the conclusion of their nine years' work for the Church in Old Stratford. The couple were presented with a dinner and tea service by Mrs. Chance.
The Rector, the Rev. A. C. Barker, presided at the meeting and Mr. F. Hall thanked Mr. and Mrs. Elliott for all they had done, explaining how much the people had valued the services commenced in the hall nine years ago. He hoped that the warm fellowship would be able to continue.
Mr. and Mrs. Elliott were also, presented with book tokens by Mr. Batley, who had acted a, Church treasurer.
Mr Elliott, who is a lay reader In the Peterborough and Oxford Dioceses, thanked everyone present, including Mr. Barker the Rector's wife, and friends from St. George's Church Wolverton, for the tangible expression of their gratitude. He hoped that the fellowship would not be lost.
People he said, had been extremely liberal in giving money and gifts to furnish the hall for services, and he thanked everyone who had helped over the years.
The Rector closed the meeting with prayers after which, coffee and biscuits were served by ladies of the congregation.