Old Stratford Inquests

The Northampton Mercury January 28th 1809

On Thursday night the following melancholy accident happened to one of Messrs. Pickfords’ waggoners and his team, on its way to London. The waggon left this place about four o’clock in the afternoon, under the care of William Mails, a particularly steady man, and had proceeded nearly to Quarry-Bridge tool-bar, where there is a brook that intersects the road, and across which is a small bridge. In consequence of the late rains, the water had been so greatly increased as to considerably overflow the banks of the brook, and flood the high road; from which circumstance and the situation in which horses, nine in number, were discovered drowned, as likewise the waggoner at a short distance from them, it is conjectured that the depth and rapidity of the current had been so great as to bear then entirely from the ground, and becoming entangled they had facilitated the drowning of each other. No part of the harness was injured, nor a horse disengaged from the waggon, which was overturned. The team was of considerable value, the horses being all young ones; and from which circumstances, added to his great carefulness and sobriety, the unfortunate man had been selected to drive them. We are sorry to hear that he left a wife and child to lament his unhappy death.

The Northampton Mercury February 4th 1809

Yesterday se'nnight an inquisition was taken at Old Stratford in the parish of Cosgrove, in this county, before John Lovell, Gent, one of his Majesty's coroners, on the body of William Mails, the waggoner of Messrs Pickford, who lost his life in attempting to Cross the water at Quarry-Bridge, as mention in our last. Verdict-Accidental Death.

The Northampton Mercury October 7th 1809

On Wednesday last an inquisition was taken at Old Stratford, in the parish of Cosgrove, in this county, before John Lovell, Gent. One of His Majesty's coroners, on the body of Mary Bosworth, a very aged and infirm woman, who having been left alone in her apartment, sitting by the fire-side, her clothes took fire, whereby she was so dreadfully burnt that she died soon afterwards. Jurors' verdict-Accidental Death.

The Northampton Mercury 13 March 1824

At Old Stratford, in the parish of Cosgrove, on view of the body of Sophia Douglas, who was drowned in the Buckingham Arm of the Grand Junction Canal. The deceased was a servant to Mr. Matthew Willison, who keeps the Falcon Public House, at Old Stratford, and it is supposed, went to the side of the Canal to inquire of the Captain of the Buckingham Fly (which was then lying there) after her Aunt, who lived at Buckingham, and that while leaning over the rail between the towing path and the Canal, looking after the boat, her shawl blew off, and that in attempting to catch it she overbalanced herself, and fell into the water, There being no direct evidence, however, to prove that fact, the Jury returned a verdict of “Found Drowned.”

The Northampton Mercury November 4th 1854

FATAL DISASTER AT COSGROVE. Saturday last an inquest was held before A. Weston, Esq., at Old Stratford, in the parish of Passenham, on view of the body of William Slater, a labourer, aged 22 years, who came by his death under the following circumstances. It appeared that he was working with a brother and a lad in Captain Mannsell's stone quarry, in the parish of Cosgrove, on the previous Thursday, and was undermining with an iron bar, when his brother saw the embankment giving way, and called to him to move, but before he could do so, the earth fell on and buried him. He was extricated as soon as possible, and was conveyed home, but death ensued in about 30 minutes. Mr. Bache, surgeon found that the deceased's back was broken. A verdict of Accidental Death was recorded. The poor fellow had been married but about eight weeks.

The Northampton Mercury April 17th 1880

AN INQUEST was held at the Falcon Inn, Old Stratford, on Friday, touching the death of Jane Monk, wife of a boatman, who died suddenly the previous Wednesday. Mr. Francis, surgeon, of Fenny Stratford, attributed death to heart disease, accelerated by confinement. The jury returned a verdict of death from natural causes.

The Northampton Mercury August 20th 1881

An Inquest was held at the Falcon Inn, Old Stratford, on the 12th inst., by A. Weston, Esq., on view of the body of Albert Wake, a child 2½ years of age, who was drowned in the canal on the previous Wednesday. Annie Wake said I am the wife of Charles Wake, a labourer, residing at Old Stratford, in the parish of Potterspury. About 2.30 on Wednesday afternoon the deceased was at home. A few minutes afterwards I heard my child Edith screaming, and she told me that the deceased was in the cut of the Buckingham arm of the Grand Junction Canal. I saw my child in the water. It was dead. Assistance came, and the child was got out. The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental drowning," and thought it necessary that the Canal Company should be informed of the danger caused by the want of proper railings.

The Northampton Mercury November 15th 1884

FOUND DEAD. On the 7th inst. William Ratley, employed in the London and North-Western Railway Works as a slater, was found dead on the roof of the fitting shop at Wolverton. An inquest was held in the afternoon, at the Royal Engineer Inn, before Mr. E. T. Worley. Jonah Bliss of Old Stratford, said he knew deceased. They were mates, also neighbours. He had known Ratley for over 40 years. Deceased was about 65 years of age. Had complained for some time of pains in the chest and head, and complained more than usual that morning. He also said that he had lain awake for more than four hours during the night. They started together on a job about seven on that morning. They were relaying slates on the roof, and no one else was with them. About ten minutes to eight deceased went to fetch a tool, and being gone more than five minutes, he went to look for him. When he got partly on the way he saw him some 60 yards off lying all of a heap in a gutter. He thought life was extinct when he found the deceased. Deceased had no medical advice for six or seven years, but occasionally took pills. He said he had had some camomile tea twice that morning, which eased the pain. Dr. Symington gave evidence that on being sent for he made a superficial examination, and found deceased quite dead. He saw no injury, nor was there any evidence of apoplectic seizure. He was satisfied that death occurred from heart disease. The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical evidence.

The Northampton Mercury October 20th 1888


Mr. A. J. Barnes (deputy-coroner for the Southern Division of Northamptonshire) held an inquest at the Plough Inn, Cosgrove, on 12th Inst., touching the death of Ann Rebecca Marks, aged 65 (wife of John Marks, district superintendent of the Grand Junction Canal Company), who was drowned in the canal the previous day.-The jury, of whom Mr. T. Seymour was foreman, having viewed the body, the following evidence was taken.—John Marks said that his wife was well when he left home In the morning about eight o'clock. He did not see her alive again.—Pamilla Ann Willison, daughter of deceased, said she took her mother a cup of tea in the afternoon, about three o'clock, as she did not feel well. She thought her legs would drop from under her. She did not see her mother again till she saw her go by with a milk tin in her hand, as if to go to the canal to fetch some water. Shortly after witness went out and saw her mother in the water with her face downwards. She got a fire-rake out of the house, and dragged the body to the side, and held the deceased head up above the water, and shouted for assistance. Some men who were going by in a lighter looked back on hearing witness shout, but took no notice. The body was got out of the water about ten minutes after it was dragged to the side. A doctor was sent for, who came at once, and pronounced life to be extinct. — Mr. P. Dickens, farmer, of Cosgrove, said he was fetched by the previous witness's little girl about four o'clock on Thursday afternoon. He went at once and saw Mrs. Marks in the water. With the help of Mrs. Willison and Mr. L. Bird (Old Stratford) the deceased was pulled out of the water, and was in witness’s opinion, quite dead. The jury returned a verdict of “Accidental Death.” A vote of censure was passed upon Samuel Phipkin for his conduct in not helping to pull the deceased out of the water when called. A vote of condolence was also accorded Mr. Marks and family in their sad bereavement.

The Northampton Mercury September 14th 1894

FOUND DROWNED IN THE CANAL. Mr. T. M. Percival, coroner, conducted an enquiry at the Falcon Inn, Old Stratford, on Thursday morning with respect to the death of Edward Watts, a gardener, of Stony Stratford, whose body was found in the canal the previous Tuesday afternoon. The jury having viewed the body, the following evidence was taken: Joseph Watts identified the body as that of his father. He was 69 years of age. He last saw his father alive on Monday morning. Mrs. Elizabeth Holt stated she was a widow and lived at Stony Stratford. The deceased, Edward Watts, had been lodging with her for about 15 months. He was on his club and had been under the doctor’s hands over eight months. Dr. Maguire had attended him for sometime, and told her that the deceased was suffering from heart disease and dropsy. He had been strange in his head for some time. On Monday night he seemed very funny and complained of his head, but on Tuesday morning was better. He had said several times that he should do away with himself. He had been drinking a good deal lately. She had not seen him again since he left the house. By the Foreman: He was in fear he should have to go to the Workhouse through poverty, and he troubled himself because his home was broken up. By a juror: She had not known him fall down suddenly. The deceased was working at Cosgrove Rectory on the Monday. Matthew Canvin stated that he was with a steam barge at 4.30p.m. on Tuesday, and he saw a body floating in the canal. The body was quite cold, and the deceased was quite dead. When searched, the police found a few articles in his pockets and an envelope with his address on, but no writing of any kind in reference to the deceased contemplating suicide. There were no marks of violence on the body, and nothing in the pockets to keep him under the water. The Coroner having briefly summed up, the jury retired, and returned a verdict of “Found drowned.”

The Northampton Mercury May 31st 1895


On Saturday, at five p.m., an inquest was held at the Falcon, Old Stratford, before Mr. T. M. Percival, coroner, and a jury of whom Mr. J. Attwood Reeve was foreman, touching the death of Thomas Panter, aged one year and seven months, son of William Panter, dealer and coal merchant. William Panter, father of the deceased, stated that about six o’clock on the Friday evening he went into the house to get some tea. His little girl followed him in, and her mother asked her where Tommy was, and she answered, “I do not know where Tommy is, mamma; I thought he was in the house.” His wife went into the yard, which joins the canal, and he heard her cry out, “Oh he’s in the water.” He ran out and got the boy out a once and sent for Dr. Bull. The boy was quite dead. His wife had sent the child in the field to play with his sister (eight years old) and had seen the child 20 minutes previously. By a juror: He had had a child previously in the water, and the desirability of fencing the canal in had occurred to him. He thought a fence could be constructed to divide the house from the yard. The Coroner said it was a very dangerous yard, but he could not see how it could be avoided, as to fence in the canal would do away with the utility of the wharf. William Cowley, a labourer in the employ of Mr. Panter, said he was playing with the deceased inside the yard between the wash-house and the back door, when Mr. Panter called to load some straw. He left the boy in the yard, and he believed he was alone, as he did not see the little girl. It was about half-an-hour from the time he saw the child alive till it was got out of the water. He did not see the little girl between these times, and he heard no cry or splash. Mr. W. H. Bull. F.R.C.S., Stony Stratford, stated he was sent for at 6.35 p.m. on Friday, and arrived at the house a few minutes afterwards. He saw the deceased, and found life quite extinct. He examined the body, and found a bruise on the left forehead. He was informed by the father that the child was floating with the back out of the water, and that fact tended to show that the child was evidently stunned and fell in the water in a more or less unconscious state, and did not struggle at all. It would also probably account for the child not crying out when it fell into the water. A verdict of “Accidentally Drowned” was returned.

The Northampton Mercury August 22nd 1902

A CHILD DROWNED AT OLD STRATFORD At 6p.m. on Thursday, Mr. T. M. Percival, Coroner, held an inquest at Old Stratford, touching the death of Arthur William Nichols, aged four years, son of Arthur William Nichols, a labourer employed in the Wolverton Carriage Works. The child’s body was found in the canal the previous evening. Mr. W. Webb was foreman of the jury. The mother Mabel Louise Nichols, said she lived at Old Stratford. The child was in the house at dinner-time on Wednesday, and after dinner he went out to play. She saw him playing at 3.25 with other children. A shower came on at half-past four, and as he did not come home she went to look for him, but could not find him. Arthur William Nichols, the father, stated that he was employed in the Wolverton Works as a labourer. When he arrived home from work at six o’clock on Wednesday evening his wife told him she could not find the little boy, and he went to look for him, and after some  time found his cap inside some rushes in the canal. He got some assistance and the boy was found in the canal about 7.45. The boy was not subject to fits and had enjoyed good health. John Thomas Knight, of Old Stratford, a rubber in Wolverton Works, stated that the father told him at 20 minutes to eight that he had found the boy’s cap. Witness borrowed some drags and discovered the boy in the canal. The child was quite dead when he pulled him out. Dr. P. Lake Hope, of Stony Stratford, deposed to examining the body. There were no marks of violence. Life had been extinct some hours. All the appearances were of death by drowning. The jury returned a verdict of “Accidentally drowned.”

The Northampton Mercury July 22nd 1904

DROWNING FATALITY. On Saturday morning a young man named Gordon Thompson, 18 years of age, an electrician, of Cambridge, was drowned whist bathing in the River Ouse, near Stony Stratford. Two companions were bathing with the deceased at the time, and although they could swim they were not accustomed to diving. Both often made efforts to get their companion out, but unfortunately they were unsuccessful. The inquest was held the same evening at the Falcon Hotel, Old Stratford, by Mr. T. M. Percival, coroner, and the jury returned a verdict of “Accidentally drowned.” They recommended that a lifebuoy and drags be provided for Old Stratford.

The Northampton Mercury February 22nd 1905


DEATH FROM BURNS. On Monday an inquest was held at the Railway Tavern, on the body of Annie Mary Jackman, 13 months, the infant daughter of Alfred and Annie Jackman, of 64, Spencer-street, who died on the previous Saturday from burns on the head, sustained by falling into the fireplace on December 23rd. The evidence adduced was to the effect that the deceased, who with her parents, then resided in Cosgrove-road, Old Stratford, was left on December 23rd by her mother in the downstairs room by the side of some chairs near the fire. The mother went upstairs, and in a minute or so heard screaming, and came down and found the child’s head on the fire-bars and its feet in the fender. Drs. Powell and Maguire were fetched, and did everything possible, but the child died from exhaustion on Saturday. February 11th. The Coroner, in summing up, commented on the carelessness of people in being without fireguards for young children. He also deprecated the use of flannelette, and urged the necessity, where there were babies, of the cradle. The jury returned a verdict of “Accidental death from exhaustion after burns.”

The Northampton Mercury February 16th 1906

A RAG AND BONE—DEALER’S DEATH. Mr. T. M. Percival held an inquest at Old Stratford on Tuesday afternoon, touching the death of Edward Hall, a rag and bone dealer, who died at the lodging-house on the previous morning Mr. R. Webb was foreman of the jury. Mrs. Edith Andrews, who keeps the lodging house, said the deceased had lived at the house for about twenty years. He was a rag and bone dealer, and would be about 50 years of age. Last Friday he complained of being in pain. He got up on Saturday morning and complained of being in pain all over. On Sunday morning he complained of being worse than he was the day before. Witness gave him an egg and some brandy, and he went to bed at 4.30. At 7.30 he seemed get worse, and she sent for the doctor, but he could not come that evening. Had witness known the deceased was so ill she should have sent for the doctor before. Witness was call at 1.30 on Monday morning, and found the deceased much worse, and she was with him at intervals until 4.30. A man named John Harris was sitting up with deceased. Witness went see to her children, and Hall died during her absence. The deceased had been drinking heavily, the last eight or nine months, and never ate much. He was always craving for drink. Witness said the deceased had a sister, but she did not know where the sister was.—John Harris, a labourer, living at the lodging house, gave corroborative evidence as to the deceased being ill, and complaining of pains between the shoulders. Witness sat up with the deceased all Sunday night, and was with him when death occurred at 4.30.—George Clarke. a rag and bone dealer, said he had known the deceased for about 15 years, and they had worked together all that time. The deceased had craved for drink for long time. Witness went for the doctor on Sunday evening. The doctor inquired what was the matter, and witness told him the deceased had been drinking very heavily.—P.S. Robinson, stationed at Potterspury, having stated that when he searched the deceased clothing he found only a halfpenny in money. Dr. T. S. Maguire, of Stony Stratford, said the witness George Clark called at his residence with a verbal message from Mrs. Andrews, the lodging-house keeper, asking him to go and see Hall, who was been drinking heavily. In the absence any definite particulars, witness concluded the deceased was suffering treat the immediate effects of a drinking bout, otherwise he should have gone at once, without waiting for a parish order. He told the messenger he would call in the morning, and that in the meantime he could go to the relieving officer and get an order. He had made a post-mortem examination at the coroner’s request, and found pneumonia of the left lung what was called a nutmeg liver (due to alcohol). Bright's disease of the kidneys, and a flabby and dilated heart, a condition of things that rendered the case absolutely hopeless from the first. The actual cause of death was failure of the heart, arising from pneumonia.--T he jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical testimony.

The Northampton Mercury July 31st 1908

DROWNED. On Monday an inquest was held at the Falcon Inn, Old Stratford, by Mr. T. M. Percival (Coroner), touching the death of Albert Arthur Shakeshaft, of Bath-terrace, Stony Stratford, aged 24, a labourer at the Wolverton Works. James George Hobbs, labourer, Wolverton Works, No. 2 Bath-terrace, said that they went bathing at Old Stratford on Sunday morning about eleven o’clock. Neither were experts swimmers. They swam across the river to the Stony Stratford side and stood on the bank. After a time deceased started to swim back again, but before he reached the other side he was in difficulties, and shouted. Witness went to him and caught hold of him and they both went under. When witness got out the deceased was still struggling. He could not assist him because witness could not swim well enough. William Neal, stoker at the Gas Works, said a man came to him and said a man was drowning in the river two fields from the Gas Works. Witness immediately went. He could not see the body. He undressed, dived in, and brought the body out. As near as witness could guess the body was lying in from 17ft. to 18ft. of water. The deceased appeared to be dead, and witness went back to work. The jury returned a verdict of “Accidentally drowned.” The Coroner said there was no blame attached to Hobbs, who did all he could. The witness Neal deserved commendation. It was not a public bathing place, and if people did persist in going there it was at their own risk. It was not the first time that Neal had brought a person out of the water.

The Northampton Mercury January 1st 1909


On Monday afternoon, an inquest was held at Stony Stratford Police Station by Mr. E. T. Worley (Coroner),  touching the death of William Hawkins, aged 60, who died late on Saturday as the result of an accidental fall from the seat of a brougham. Mr. Thomas Betts was foreman of the jury.
 Mr. Frank Higgens, landlord of the Bull Hotel; Dr. Maguire, for whom the deceased worked for a good number of years previous going to the Bull Hotel; Mr. F. D. Bull, and Rev. Sullivan Leader were present at the inquiry.
William Castle, a labourer, of Castlethorpe, deposed that between 7.30 and 8 p.m. on Saturday evening he was on his way home from Stony Stratford to Castlethorpe. He called at the Swan Inn at Old Stratford, and when he carne out he saw the back of a vehicle going round the corner towards Cosgrove. Witness hastily bid his friends "Good night." and hurried after the vehicle to try to get a ride, but he could not catch it. He saw the fly go over the crown of the canal bridge. When witness got to the Dog's Mouth he saw the fly. It appeared as if the horse had turned round and got on to the turf. Witness did not try to get the horse straight. The horse was standing still but seemed uneasy and witness patted it. He looked about for the man, but could not see him at first; then, hearing a groan, he found Hawkins a little distance off. The fly was on the turnpike, and the deceased was lying with his head on the road and his feet on the grass. There was no one else about. Hawkins was unconscious. Witness had taken the lamp out of the socket to look round as it was dark, and he put the lamp back and started up the hill towards Old Stratford to get assistance. Witness stopped two men on bicycles, and told one to fetch the doctor and the other to fetch the police. Witness went back, and they got some water and washed the blood off Hawkins. Then they put him into the fly, and as they were bringing him towards Stony Stratford they met Dr. Powell. The Coroner: Did you look at the track of the wheels?—Witness: No, sir.
The Coroner: Did you hear any noise?—Witness: Not a sound. sir.
Witness, continuing, said the reins were down on the ground, but were not broken. He really could form no opinion as to how it all happened. The whip was nearer the fly than the deceased. The whip was broken. Hawkins was lying on the right hand side of the road going to Cosgrove.
Frederick Hawkins, a son of the deceased stated that his father was sixty years old, was employed at the Bull Hotel as ostler. Witness did not see his father on Saturday afternoon.
P.C. Brown stated he was on duty at the crossroads at Old Stratford. He saw the fly turn the corner, the driver was alone on the box. Five or six minutes afterwards a cyclist informed him that there had been an accident, and be went at once to the spot. The deceased was lying unconscious on the side of the road just beyond Dog’s Mouth. The horse’s head was turn towards Old Stratford. With help witness got Hawkins into the fly, and they brought him to the Bull yard. Witness examined the road Sunday morning, and there were indication, that the horse had turned towards Yardley Gobion and then brought sharply round. There was the mark of the wheel on the corner of the turf, which was high just there, and witness was of opinion that the sudden jerk would throw the driver yards. From what witness saw of the wheel marks he should expect to see Hawkins lying where he was found. It was a dark night. Witness considered the three-cornered piece of turf dangerous, and thought that had this been level the accident would not have happened. Roland Francis Bull, of Old Stratford, who  was coming from Cosgrove about five minutes to  eight, also gave evidence.
Cecil Powell stated he was called at 8 p.m. on Saturday. He met the fly in the High-street and it was driven down the Bull yard. Seeing the serious nature of the injuries he bad the deceased removed home. He was completely unconscious. There was a large severe abrasion on the right temple, with greet weeping and discolouration of the right eyelid. There was another large abrasion on the right cheek, both looking as if the face had been forcibly dragged or pressed into the road. There was a sharply cut incised wound on the back and right-side of the head the hair being scraped off one aide of the wound as if the head had been struck a glancing blow—the wheel of the carriage would make a similar wound On the lower jaw was a small puncture wound and also there were small abrasions and scratches on the left side of the face. Witness considered death was due to a fractured skull and shock consequent thereon. Witness examined deceased’s breath very carefully, but there was absolutely no smell of drink. All the injuries witness found were consistent with the man having pitched from his driving box into the road.
The Coroner: Was there anything to raise your suspicions of any foul play?
Dr. Powell: I could not tell. The scalp wound was a sharply cut one, and if the man had pitched on the wheel or the step it would have caused it.
The Coroner having summed up, the jury returned a verdict of “Accidental death,” and suggested that the Coroner should write to the road authority with respect to the three-cornered piece of grass at the corner of the Cosgrove and Yardley road.

The Mercury & Herald January 26th 1934

Samuel Jordan Pinney (65), was knocked down by a lorry and fatally injured while cycling from Old Stratford to Cosgrove.


The inquest on Pinney was conducted the Divisional Coroner (Mr. W. L. Whitton), sitting with a jury, at Old Stratford yesterday, Pinney was a retired grocer and sub-postmaster at Old Stratford.
Mrs. Jane Pinney, the widow, said her husband left home on his bicycle to go to Cosgrove.  His eyesight was good, but he was little deaf. As he went out he withed her " Many happy returns " on her birthday.


Fred T. Washbrook, haulage contractor, Old Stratford, who was warned by the Coroner (Mr.  E. Whitton) elected to give evidence. He said he had had eight years experience of driving. It was very foggy at the time of the accident, and the visibility was only about four yard.
 The windscreen wiper of the lorry was not working, but the glass was clean. He had two side lights. He sounded his horn before approaching the Dog’s Month Bridge at about five m.p.h. When three yards from the bridge be saw a man on a bicycle shooting across in front of him, as if going in the direction of Cosgrove. He could only make out a dark shape going across this radiator. He felt an impact on the near side of the cabin.


The Coroners: When you saw him cross the radiator why did not you pull up?—I tried to swerve and miss him, but it all happened In about three seconds.
The Coroner: Were you cutting the corner? No, I was about a foot from the kerb no the near side. Did you carry him along with you?—No. I don't think so.
Dr. Douglas Bull, Stony Stratford, said Pinney was dead when brought to the surgery. Death, which must have practically instantaneous, was due to a fracture at the base of the skull and shock. Charles Henry King, 127, Birchfield-road, Northampton, commercial traveller, said he was motoring from Northampton to Stony Stratford when he was requested to stop by the lorry driver, who was supporting Pinney in his arms. The bicycle was lying in the rood.
A juryman, Michael Haltom, Old Stratford, left his seat to give evidence. He Washbrook asked him to come to the scene of the accident and assist him. Pinney was lying on the road in a dying condition, and there were two pools of blood. It was very foggy, and he could see only five or six yards.
The Coroner said it was an unfortunate ease, caused by the fog. He thought the lorry driver took an reasonable precautions.
 A verdict of " Accidental Death " was returned.

Mercury & Herald July 16th 1948



For many years 84-years-old George Adams had been a familiar figure in Old Stratford. Regularly, several times a day he could be seen taking his small dog for a walk across the recreation ground and down the canal towpath.
And then, last Friday afternoon, a village woman saw his dog running across the recreation ground – alone. It kept jumping up and down in front of her and running back to the canal so she followed it. Floating on the surface were its master’s coat and cap. Five feet from the bank was the body.
George Adams and his dog had taken their last walk together.
This was the story told at the Towcester inquest at which the South Northamptonshire Coroner, Mr. J. S. Budge, recorded a verdict of accidental death on Adams, a retired railway worker, who lived at 14, Cosgrove-road, Old Stratford.
Mrs. H. D. C. Webb of Towcester-road, Old Stratford told how after finding the cap and jacket she fetched a friend, Mrs. K. Millward and they searched for the body.


The body was recovered by Sidney Harold Chapman, Cosgrove-road, Old Stratford, who said that to reach the towpath from the recreation ground where he exercised the dog, Adams would have to go down the bank through a gap in the hedge. He thought Adams had slipped and fallen headlong into the canal.
Dr. W. M. Douglas said Adams had been to him complaining of dizzy spells. Death was stated to be due to drowning.
Mr. Sidney Smith, of Stony Stratford represented the relatives.