John Allen

Police Officer's Record of Service
Full Name John ALLEN
Date Appointed 11th November 1952
Collar Number 2
Date of Discharge 9th November 1982

10/11/52 £400 per annum.

14/1/54 £445 “

10/11/54 £455 “

8/8/55 £535 “

10/11/55 £550 “

10/11/56 £565 “

3/6/57 £580 “

10/11/57 £597 “

00/9/58 £635 “

10/11/59 £655 “

10/11/60 £675 “

10/11/61 £910 “

Promoted to Sergeant 26th April 1965. (£1210 per annum)

26/4/67 £1255 per annum


Posted to Headquarters 10th November 1952

Posted to Slough 28th February 1953

Posted to Buckingham 17th April 1953

Posted to Newport Pagnell 4th December 1953 (8 Charles Way)

Posted to Hanslope 4th November 1957 (13 Castlethorpe Road)

Posted to Newport Pagnell 31st May 1961 (5 Beech Road)

Posted to Bletchley 22nd May 1972

Posted to Newport Pagnell 28th November 1977

Description – 5 feet 8 ¾ inches tall, pale complexion, grey eyes, brown hair.


  • Refresher – Eynsham 1953
  • Civil Defence (Basic) 24/2/53
  • Elementary Damage Control 12 hrs. – 1954
  • Refresher – Eynsham 1954
  • Refresher Driving Course – Headquarters 1965
  • Man Management Course – Headquarters 1967
  • Examined for sergeant 1957. Qualified 1957


Disobedience to Orders – Between 4/11/57 and 31/5/61, without the consent of the Chief Constable did carry out work for gain.

Fined 3 days pay.

Below from ‘Over 100 years of Hanslope Village Policemen’ by Mick Shaw. Click here to order a copy.

PC 2 John Allen was appointed to the Buckinghamshire Constabulary on the 11th November 1952, at the age of 24 years. Born in Slaley, Derbyshire on the 19th January 1927, he worked as a fitter and toolmaker at the Derby railway works. His first child Peter was born while he was at Police Training School; he was informed during a game of football that his wife Margaret had given birth. His second child Maureen was born a year later.

His first posting was on the 28th February 1953 to Slough where he remained until 17th April that same year, transferring to Buckingham on the 4th December 1953 before moving to Newport Pagnell. He served there for around three years and on the 4th November 1957 he arrived at Hanslope, moving into the beat house at 13 Castlethorpe Road with his family. He patrolled the Hanslope area, at first on a pedal cycle but was issued later with a Velocette 125cc motor cycle. As crash helmets were not standard issue at the time, police officers wore their ordinary helmets with a special chin-strap fitted. During his time at Hanslope he was commended by the then Chief Constable, Brigadier Cheney for saving the life of a man who was attempting to commit suicide in Salcey Forest. He remained at Hanslope until the 31st May 1961, returning to Newport Pagnell where on the 26th April 1965 he was promoted to sergeant. On the 22nd May 1972 he moved to Bletchley until 28th November 1977 when he returned to Newport Pagnell. He was there until he retired on the 9th November 1982. In all Sergeant Allen had served 30 years in both the Buckinghamshire Constabulary and, after amalgamation, the Thames Valley Police.

During his time at Hanslope the area beat consisted of:- Hanslope, Little Linford, Tathall End, Gayhurst and Stoke Goldington (the latter two villages were most likely taken over by PC Allen after PC 137 Cyril Higgin's retirement in 1959). All the paperwork and process etceteras for this part of the area went through Newport Pagnell Police Station and all prosecutions through Newport Pagnell Magistrates Court. Castlethorpe, Haversham and Haversham Village process and paperwork were sent to Wolverton Police Station and all prosecutions to Stony Stratford Magistrates Court.

As previously mentioned, PC Allen saved a man's life during his period of service at Hanslope. On the 11th April 1960 he was on patrol in the Salcey Forest area when he came across a parked vehicle. He noticed a hosepipe coming from the exhaust into a partly opened window. The engine was still running and an unconscious man was inside. He turned off the engine and pulled the man out of the vehicle, administering first aid by artificial respiration which he maintained for up to forty- five minutes. He then arranged for an ambulance to be called to convey the now conscious person to hospital. The man later made a full recovery. PC Allen was a keen first aider and a member of the St. John's Ambulance Brigade which gave him the knowledge and confidence to save this man's life but it was also his perseverance for such a long time that earned him the commendation from the Chief Constable Brigadier Cheney.

John Allen died on the 3rd May 1997. His funeral took place at St. Peter and St. Pauls Church, Newport Pagnell, on Monday 12th May 1997.

**Records on this officer are complete**

Details were provided by John Allen himself and Records of Service

Return to Village Constables Intro Page