THE GAYHURST COLLECTION

Introduction

Gayhurst House - East Front

The Gayhurst Collection is a series of thirty five photographs. It was commissioned by Mr J W Carlile, the then owner of The Gayhurst Estate.

The Collection was produced in 1885 by a professional photographer, whose identity is unknown.

Following the death of Lady Carlile, the photographs - together with assorted family papers - were passed to The Stoke Goldington Association for safe keeping by permission of The Executors of Lady Carlile’s estate.

The photographs show not only the exterior and interior of the house, but the 1885 Regatta, the Rowing Club and boathouse.

The original photographs are currently on loan to The Milton Keynes Central Library (Local Studies and Family History Department) and may be seen by arrangement with Librarian Ruth Meardon,