Gayhurst Church

Gayhurst Church

The medieval church was demolished in 1725 and the present one completed in 1728, for George Wrighte. The architect is unknown. The west tower has rusticated pilasters at its base, with tall flat pilasters above. The belfry openings have round arches. The tower is surmounted by an open-sided cupola. The south front, containing the main entrance door, is divided into five bays with evenly rusticated pilasters with a pediment over the central bays. Tall, round arched windows with clear glass set into leaded lights. The chancel at the east end is lower and has a blank niche instead of a window behind the altar. The overall design is a mixture of Baroque and Palladian, rather awkwardly composed. Nevertheless it must be regarded as one of the most important Georgian churches in Buckinghamshire.