Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

St Laud's Church Tour - Inside

St Laud's Church
Inside Tour
Select a number on the plan
Key to the colour scheme and numbers1 - Start the tour - Entrance2 - Porch3 - South Aisle4 - War Memorials5 - Font6 - West Window and Nave7 - North Aisle8 - Dais pulpit and Screens9 - Choir Stalls10 - Organ11 - East Window and High Altar12 - Vestry13 - Sedilia and Squint Window14 - South Aisle15 - Exit Church plan
Outside Tour

Click here to go to 15 - Exit

1 - Start of St Laud's Inside Tour

Click here to go to 2 - Porch

Entrance to the Church

The main entrance into the church is made via the porch (see left) into the South Aisle.

     Who was St Laud?

Sherington has the only Church in England known to be dedicated to Saint Laud (St. Lo). In France there is a town of St. Lo in Brittany - badly ravaged by allied bombing in 1944 - a railway station in Paris and a college at Angers which share his name, as well as other places. Little is known of St Laud.

Laud was a Bishop of Coutances from 529 AD until his death in 568 AD. His claim to fame appears to have been that he was "one of the most energetic prelates of his day". The fact that a later Bishop of Coutances owned lands at nearby Tyringham after the Norman Conquest helps us to understand the unusual dedication.


Click here to go to 15 - Exit


Click here to go to 2 - Porch

Home Page - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 29 December 2006