Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Gun Lane - Archive Photo 2

Aerial view of the Gun Lane area looking towards the east, c1950's.

Gun Lane runs from left to right across the middle of the photo, with the Church End crossroads on the right. The old cottage which stood opposite the White Hart (where the driveways of Nos. 8 and 10 Gun Lane, which were built in the mid-1960's, are today) is visible, but the row of thatched cottages further to the left along Gun Lane (visible in the other Gun Lane archive photo) are no longer there. Apart from the cluster of buildings near the White Hart, there is just one modern house in Gun Lane (in the top left of the photo).

St Laud's church is in the foreground, and Church Farm to its left. The farm buildings and field between the Church Farmhouse and Gun Lane have since been replaced by Field Close. The Churchyard was extended in the late 1950's - the right hand boundary is now straighter. The triangular area now included in the churchyard is where the Iron Age settlement was found.

Park Road runs from the crossroads towards the top of the photo, with Yew Tree Farm at the top right. The end of School Lane is at the right hand edge of the photo - the bungalows on its east side would have been fairly new at the time the photo was taken and Griggs Farm is on the west side. There are no houses opposite Griggs Farm on the north side of Church Road.

Click here to go to previous archive photo

Back to GUN LANE - Go to the Start of the Tour

Click here to go to next archive photo

Home Page - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 7 January 2010