Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Kelly's Directory 1887

Kelly's Directory of Buckinghamshire, 1887

SHERINGTON, in Domesday "Seritone" is a parish and village on the road from Newport Pagnell to Olney, 3 miles south from the latter, 2 north from the former, 11 west from Bedford, in the Northern division of the county, in the hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport Pagnell, archdeaconry of Buckingham, rural deanery of Newport Pagnell and diocese of Oxford. The river Ouse separates the parish from Lathbury and Newport Pagnell and is crossed by a bridge of five arches. The church of St. Laud the Martyr (whose festival is celebrated on September the 21st) is an edifice chiefly in the Decorated style, seated on an eminence: it consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch with parvise, and a central tower with small spire; the nave arcades have circular pillars on the north and octagonal on the south side, in both cases with moulded capitals; the tower is good Perpendicular, and there is a fine west window of five lights of the same date; the east window is Decorated, others are Perpendicular; in the church is a shield of white metal with the arms of Catesby, being all that remains of a brass to a civilian and his wife, children, and a marginal inscription, c. 1510; other brasses are recorded to Robert Yonge and Ada his wife, 1517; and Richard Mareot J.P. 1491 : it was restored in 1870 at a cost of 1,200: there are 300 sittings, all free. The register dates from the year 1698. The living is a rectory, yearly value from the tithe rent-charge 400 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford and held since 1849 by the Rev. Edward Elton M.A. of Balliol College, Oxford. Here are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels. Fuller's charity of 5 yearly is distributed as follows, viz.: 1 for a sermon; 5s. each to the churchwardens and 26 half-crowns to the poor. Mrs. Umney is lady of the manor; the trustees of the Tyringham estate are the principal landowners. The Mercers' Company of the City of London also have land here. The soil is various; subsoil, limestone and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and roots. The area is 1,780 acres; rateable value, 2,772 ; the population in 1881 was 604.

Parish Clerk, Joel Attwood

POST OFFlCE. - Miss Annie Brown, receiver. Letters arrive from Newport Pagnell at 7 a.m. & 12.45 p.m.; dispatched at 9.10 a.m. & 7.10 p.m.; sundays, box closed at 10 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Newport Pagnell.

School, built in 1872, at a cost of 900, for 105 children; average attendance about 85; John S. Sutton, master; Mrs.Sutton, sewing mistress

Elton Rev. Edward M.A. [rector]
Holton Mrs
Makeham William
Parmeter Mrs.
Rogers Mrs.
Sedding Mrs.
Storer George
Taylor Wellesley, Manor house

COMMERCIAL
Aldred John, White Hart P.H.
AIger Robert Green, Swan P.H.
Battam & Coles (exors. of), maltsters
Boone Frederick, shopkeeper and insurance agent
Borton Thomas, farmer
Bright William, farmer
Emerson Robert, boot maker
Fleet George, horse dealer
Gardner Henry, farmer
Groom William, blacksmith
Harding Daniel, farmer
Hickson Thomas, butcher & grocer
Hine James, beer retailer
Jefferson Joseph, farmer
Joyce George, matting maker
Joyce James, Crown & Castle P.H.
Lucas Isaiah, farmer
Oldham Owen, baker & coach builder
Parmeter Frank, farmer
Proctor James, carpenter
Rose Abraham, tailor
Rose Henry George, carpenter, builder, timber merchant, contractor & undertaker
Rose John, wheelwright
Rush Samuel, carpenter & hurdle maker
Sarrington Jeffery, farmer
Umney Edwin, grazier & butcher
Umney Thomas, matting maker

 

Back to PEOPLE - Back to DIRECTORIES - Kelly 1883 - Kelly 1891

 

Home Page - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 27 May 2007