Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Kelly's Directory 1891

Kelly's Directory of Buckinghamshire, 1891

SHERINGTON, n Domesday " Serintone," is a parish and village on the road from Newport Pagnell to Olney and separated from Lathbury and Newport Pagnell by the river Ouse which is crossed by a bridge of five arches, 11 miles west from Bedford, 2 miles north from Newport Pagnell station on the Wolverton and Newport Pagnell branch of the London and North Western railway and 3 south from Olney station on the Bedford and Northampton branch of the Midland railway and , in the Northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport Pagnell, archdeaconry of Buckingham, rural deanery of Newport Pagnell and diocese of Oxford. The church of St. Laud the Martyr (whose festival is celebrated on September the 21st), seated on an eminence, is an edifice of stone, chiefly in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch with parvise, and a central tower containing 5 bells and a clock: the nave arcades, one Early Decorated and the other of a later period have circular pillars on the north and octagonal on the south side, in both cases with moulded capitals; the tower is good Perpendicular, and there is a fine west window of five lights of the same date; the east window is Decorated, other chancel windows are Perpendicular; in the north-east buttress of the tower is a Decorated window pierced through and looking towards the altar; on the handle of the porch door are the arms of Dr. William Barrow, rector 1406, and afterwards bishop of Bangor and Carlisle: the church was restored in 1870 at a cost of 1,200, and there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1698. The living is a rectory, yearly value from the tithe rent-charge 400, with residence and 17 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford, and held since 1884 by the Rev.Edward Elton M.A. of Balliol College, Oxford. Hereare Congregational and Wesleyan chapels. Fuller's charity of 5 yearly is distributed as follows, viz.: 1 for a sermon; 5s. each to the churchwardens and 26 half-crowns to the poor. Mrs. Umney is lady of the manor; the trustees of the Tyringham estate are the principal landowners. The Mercers' Company of the City of London also have land here. Tbe soil is various; subsoil, limestone and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and roots. The area is 1,780 acres;rateable value, 2,621; population in 1881, 60.

Parish Clerk, Joel Attwood

Post Office. - Miss Annie Brown, receiver. Letters arrive from Newport Pagnell at 7 a.m & 12.15 a.m.; dispatched at 9.10 & 7.10 p.m.; sundays, box closed at 10 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Newport Pagnell, 2 miles distant. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid..

School, built in 1872, at a cost of 900, for 105 children; average attendance about 85; David Wesson Brearley, master; Mrs. Brearley, sewing mistress.

Elton Rev. Edward M.A. [rector]
Makeham William, The Laurels
Norman Jesse, The Curacy
Oliver Mrs. Ash Cottage
Rogers Mrs.
Sedding Mrs.
Smith Mrs. High Street
Storer Mrs
Taylor Wellesley, Manor house
Tompkins Mrs. Sherington bridge

COMMERCIAL
Aldred John, White Hart P.H.
Aldred William, farmer, Gowell's
Adkins John, farmer
Battam & Coles (exors. of), maltsters
Boone Frederick, shopkeeper
Bright William, farmer
Cannon Thomas, farmer, Church end
Downing Mary (Mrs), Swan P.H.
Emerson Robert, boot maker
Feasey David, corn mer. & assist. overseer
Field John, grazier
Field Mary (Mrs), farmer
Fleet George, horse dealer
Fountain Abraham, farmer
Gardner Henry, farmer
Goodman Walter, farmer, The Slides
Groom William, blacksmith
Harding Daniel, farmer
Hickson William Thomas, butcher & grocer
Hill Geo. farmer, Manor farm & Water la
Hine James, beer retailer & farmer
Jefferson Eliza. (Mrs.), farmer
Joyce George, matting maker
Joyce Jas. Crown & Castle P.H. & grazier
Looms William, shoe maker
Lucas Isaiah, farmer
Oldham Owen, baker & coach builder
Proctor James, carpenter
Rose Abraham, tailor
Rose Henry George, carpenter & builder
Rose John, wheelwright
Rush Samuel, carpenter & hurdle makerr

 

Back to PEOPLE - Back to DIRECTORIES - Kelly 1887 - Kelly 1895

 

Home Page - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 27 May 2007