Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Kelly's Directory 1895

Kelly's Directory of Buckinghamshire, 1895

SHERINGTON, in Domesday "Serintone", is a parish and village on the road from Newport Pagnell to Olney and separated from Lathbury and Newport Pagnell by the River Ouse which is crossed by a bridge of five arches, 2 miles north from Newport Pagnell station on the Wolverton and Newport Pagnell branch of the London and North Western Railway, 3 miles south from Olney station on the Bedford and Northampton branch of the Midland Railway and 11 west from Bedford; in the northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport Pagnell, archdeaconry of Buckingham, rural deanery of Newport Pagell and diocese of Oxford. The church of St. Laud the Martyr, seated on an eminence, is an edifice of stone, chiefly in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, south porch with parvise, and a central tower containing 5 bells and clock: the nave arcades have circular pillars on the north and octagonal on the south side, in both cases with moulded capitals: the tower is good Perpendicular, and there is a fine west window of five lights of the same date; the east window is Decorated, others are Perpendicular; in the church is a shield of white metal with the arms of Catesby, being all that remains of a brass to a civilian and his wife and children, with a marginal inscription, c.1510; other brasses are recorded to Robert Yonge and Ada his wife, 1517; and to Richard Mareot, 1491; the church was restored in 1870 at a cost of 1,200, and affords 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1698. The living is a rectory, yearly value from corn rent about 400, net income 406, with residence and 17 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford and held since 1884 by the Rev. Edward Elton M.A. of Balliol College, Oxford. Here are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels. Fuller's charity of 5 yearly is distributed as follows, viz: 1 for a sermon, 5s, each to the churchwardens and 26 half-crowns to the poor. George Alfred H. Nelson esq. is lord of the manor; and Roger William Giffard Tyringham esq. of Shenly House is the principal landowner. The Mercers' Company of the City of London have land here. The soil is various; subsoil, limestone and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and roots. The area is 1,780 acres; rateable value, 2,517; population in 1891 was 566.

Parish Clerk, Joel Attwood

Post Office. - David Feasey, sub-postmaster.
Letters arrive from Newport Pagnell at 6 a.m. & 12.15 p.m.; dispatched at 9.10 a.m. & 7.10 p.m.; sundays, box closed at 10 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Newport Pagnell. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid.

School, built in 1872, at a cost of 900, for 105 children; average attendance about 75; Frank Collett, master; Miss Eleanor Birchell, infant's mistress.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Elton Rev. Edward M.A. (rector), Rectory
Graves Mrs
Makeham William, The Laurels
Rogers Mrs
Sedding Mrs
Smith Mrs, High street
Storer Mrs
Taylor Wellesley, Manor house
Tompkins Mrs. Sherington bridge

COMMERCIAL
Alfred William, farmer, Gowell's
Boone Frederick, shopkeeper
Bright William, farmer
Brown Hy. George, White Hart P.H.
Bunting Joseph, matting maker
Downing Mary (Mrs), Swan P.H.
Emerson Robert, boot maker
Feasey David, corn merchant & assistant overseer, & post office
Field Frdk. John (exors. of), malsters
Field John, grazier
Field Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Fleet George, horse dealer
Gardner Henry, farmer
Groom William, blacksmith
Harding Daniel, farmer
Hickson Wm. Thos. butcher & grocer
Hill George, farmer, Manor farm & Water lane
Hine George James, wheelwright & coach builder; material of the best quality only used; all orders receive prompt attention; moderate charges.
Hine James, farmer
Jefferson Eliza (Mrs), farmer
Joyce James, Crown & Castle P.H. & grazier
Looms William, shoe maker
Lucas Isaiah, farmer
Oldham & Co, non-intoxicating ale-brewers
Oldham Owen, baker
Rose Abraham, tailor
Rose George, matting maker
Rose Henry George carpenter & builder, contractor & undertaker, timber merchant, steam saw mill owner, gate & fencing works; all kinds supplied & fixed
Rose John, wheelwright
Rush Sml. carpenter and hurdle maker
Sharman George, beer retailer

 

Back to PEOPLE - Back to DIRECTORIES - Kelly 1891 - Kelly 1899

 

Home Page - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 27 May 2007