Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Kelly's Directory 1911

Kelly's Directory of Buckinghamshire, 1911

SHERINGTON, in Domesday "Serintone," is a parish and village on the road from Newport Pagnell to Olney and separated from Lathbury and Newport Pagnell by the river Ouse which is crossed by a bridge of five arches, 2 miles north from Newport Pagnell station on the Wolverton and Newport Pagnell branch of the London and North Western railway and 4 south from Olney station on the Bedford and Northampton branch of the Midland railway and 11 west from Bedford, in the Northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport Pagnell, archdeaconry of Buckingham, rural deanery of Newport Pagnell and diocese of Oxford. The church of St. Laud the Martyr, seated on an eminence, is an edifice of stone, chiefly in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch with parvise, and a central tower containing 5 bells and a clock: the nave arcades, one Early Decorated and the other of a later period have circular pillars on the north and octagonal on the south aide, in both cases with moulded capitals; the tower is good Perpendicular, and there is a fine west window of five lights of the same date; the east window is Decorated, other chancel windows are Perpendicular; in the north-east buttress of the tower is a Decorated window pierced through and looking towards the altar; on the handle of the porch door are the arms of Dr. William Barrow, rector 1406, and afterwards bishop of Bangor and Carlisle: the church was restored in 1870 at a. cost of 1,200, and affords 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1698. The living is a rectory, net income 300, with residence and 17 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford, and held since 1903 by the Rev. John Mease Geden B.A. of London University. Here is a Congregational chapel, founded in 1810, and seating 200, and a Wesleyan chapel. Fuller's charity of 5 yearly is distributed as folIows, viz.: 1 for a sermon; 5s. each to the churchwardens and 26 half-crowns to the poor. There are three manors in the parish; F. A. Konig esq. of Tyringham Hall, holds one and is the principal landowner, the others are held by the trustees of the late George Alfred U. Nelson esq. and the Mercers' Company of the City of London. The soil is various; subsoil, limestone and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and roots. The area is 1,799 acres of land and 6 of water; assessable value, 1,825; the pupulation in 1901 was 548.

Parish Clerk, Albert Norman

Post Office. - Miss Ellen L. Feasey, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Newport Pagnell at 7 & 11.45 a.m.; dispatched at 9.45 a.m. & 12.15 &; 7.15 p.m.; sundays, box closed at 11.40 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Newport Pagnell, 2 miles distant.

Elementary School, built in 1872, at a cost of 900, for 105 children; average attendance, about 80; William Powell, master; Mrs. Webster, infants' mistress.

Police Constable, Ernest Crockford

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Allfrey Major Frank E. The Laurels
Cook-Yarborough Mrs. Sherington lo
Cranfield Walter, Pearcey cottage
Eastburn Thomas Worrell (congregational evangelist)
Geden Rev. John Mease B.A.. (rector), Rectory
Rogers Mrs. Radnor villa
Russell Joseph Rushforth W. G. Sherington bridge
Taylor Mrs. Manor house
Terry Chrstr. Wm. Sherington bridge

COMMERCIAL
Austin Abel, dairyman
Boone Fredcrick, shopkeeper
Burgess Jn. Thos. frmr.Yew Tree frm
Cowley Arthur, Swan P.H
Feasey David, corn merchant & poor rate collector
Field Fredk. John. maltster & farmer
Field John, grazier
Fisher Harry, school attendance officer, Ash cottage
Fleet George, horse dealer & butcher
Gardner Ellen (Mrs.), farmer
Graves John Wm. farmer, Water lane
Groom William, blacksmith
Harding Daniel (Mrs.), farmer
Hickson Fredk. Arthur. dog fancier
Hickson Wm. Thos. butcher & grocer
Hine George James, coach builder
JelIerson Eliza (Mrs.), farmer, Mercer's farm
Joyce Sarah (Mrs). Crown & Castle P.H
Labrum Robert, jobmaster
Lawes Sarah (Mrs.), White Hart P H
Line Frederick, beer retailer
Lloyd Thos. Ivester, artist, The Nest
Norman Albert, market gardener
Norman Joseph, market gardener
Oldham &. Co. mineral water manfrs
Petts Joseph, market gardener
Robinson John, mat maker
Rose Henry George, builder
Rush Saml. carpenter & hurdle makr
Simcoe John H. farmer, Gowls farm
Smith Clara Mary Ann (Miss), laundry
Smith William Henry, surveyor of highways to Newport Pagnell Rural District Council
Weeks William, farmer
West Henry, cowkeeper
Wiles Herbert, insurance agent
Worthington Alice (Miss), parish nurse

 

Back to PEOPLE - Back to DIRECTORIES - Kelly 1907 - Kelly 1915

 

Home Page - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 27 May 2007