Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Kelly's Directory 1935

Kelly's Directory of Buckinghamshire, 1935

SHERINGTON, in Domesday "Serintone", is a parish and village on the road from Newport Pagnell to Olney and separated from Lathbury and Newport Pagnell by the River Ouse which is crossed by a bridge of five arches, 2 miles north from Newport Pagnell station on the Wolverton and Newport Pagnell branch of the London Midland and Scottish Railway, 4 miles south from Olney station on the Bedford and Northampton branch of the same railway and 11 west from Bedford; it is in the Buckingham division of the county, county court district of Bletchley and Leighton Buzzard, hundred, petty sessional division, rural district and rural deanery of Newport, archdeaconry of Buckingham and diocese of Oxford. The church of St. Laud the Martyr, seated on an eminence, is an edifice of stone, chiefly in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch with parvise, and a central tower containing 5 bells and clock: the nave arcades, one Early Decorated and the other of a later period, have circular pillars on the north and octagonal on the south side, in both cases with moulded capitals: the tower walls are of the 12th century, with arches into the chancel and nave of the 13th century: the large west window is chiefly of the 15th century: the early 15th century font is noteworthy: in the north-west buttress of the tower is a Decorated window pierced through and looking towards the altar: there is a stone tablet in memory of 11 men of this parish who lost their lives in the Great War, 1914-18: on the handle of the porch door are the arms of Dr. William Barrow, rector 1406, and afterwards Bishop of Bangor and Carlisle: the church was restored in 1870 at a cost of 1,200, and affords 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1698. The living is a rectory, net income 300, with residence and 17 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford and held since 1912 by the Rev. Henry Arthur Gilbert Blomefield M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and hon. C.F. There is a Congregational chapel, founded in 1810 and seating 200, and a Methodist chapel. Fuller's charity of 5 yearly is distributed as follows, viz: 1 for a sermon, 5s, each to the churchwardens and 26 half-crowns to the poor. There are three manors in the parish; two of which are held by Mr. John Thomas Burgess and Mrs Owen Williams. The land is mainly owned by the farmers. The soil is various; subsoil, limestone and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and roots. The area is 1,799 acres of land and 6 of water; population in 1931, 462.

Post Office. Letters through Bletchley. Newport Pagnell nearest M.O. & T. office.

Police Station

Conveyance. - Motor omnibus to & from Bedford to Newport Pagnell pass through several times daily.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
(For T.N.'s see general list of Private Residents at end of book)
Allfrey Lt.-Col. Frank Edward
Blomefield Rev. Henry Arthur Gilbert M.A., hon. C.F. (rector), Rectory
Byam-Grounds Lt.-Col. N., Sherington lodge
Gordon Walter Begbie, Sherington Bridge lodge
Kelloway Edward Harry, Radnor ho
Smith Maj. Alfred, Sherington Bridge house
Taylor Mrs. WellesleyJ.P. Manor ho

COMMERCIAL
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Adkins Bros. farmers, Water la
*Burgess Jn. Thos. farmer, Griggs farm
Burgess Jn. Thos. jun. haulage contrctr Newport Pagnell 163
Feasey Ellen L. (Miss) corn dlr
*Field Fredk. Jn. farmer, Church frm
Fleet Ernest, farmer, Newport Pagnell 61X2
*Gardner Dudley, farmer, Water Lane farm
Haynes & Co, motor engnrs. T.N. Newport Pagnell 73
Hickson Frank. Wm. shopkpr
Hine Geo. Jas. wheelwright
Hooton Wm. Thos. Crown & Castle P.H
Line Jn. timber mer
Middleweek Philip Lang, farmer, Yew Tree farm
Nobbs Jn. Thirsk Sharman, Swan Inn
Oldham & Co. mineral water manfrs T N Newport Pagnell 61Y2
Peach & Stone, nurserymen T N Newport Pagnell 49
Peters Arth. Donald, shopkpr
Pikesley Jsph, carpenter
Simmonds Alfd. Jn. White Hart P.H.
Smith Chas. Hy. wood dlr
West Geo. dairyman
West Mabel (Mrs.), shopkpr

 

Back to PEOPLE - Back to DIRECTORIES - Kelly 1931 - Kelly 1939

 

Home Page - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 27 May 2007