Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
A former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is located on the south side of The Knoll.
The front part, which was the Chapel itself, was built in 1863 and used some stone from the cottage previously on the site.
The Church Hall, behind the Chapel, was added in 1896. This was originally used for meetings and Sunday School. In 1952, when the old school building in School Lane was closed, the Church Hall became the temporary home for the younger pupils of the village school, until the new school building was opened.
In 1972, the Chapel was closed and sold. Initially planning permission for light industrial use was sought, but this was refused. Instead, the building was converted to a private residence, which was occupied in 1974.
Note: The 1851 Religous Worship Census (see below) records that there was a Wesleyan Chapel in the village before 1863. At present no further information is available.
Buckinghamshire Return of the Census of Religous Worship 1851
This census contains the following entry for the Wesleyan Chapel: (Note: a copy of this census was published in Bucks Record Society No 27, 1991, edited by Edward Legg)
388. Wesleyan Methodist 153/73
Erected: cannot say
Whether Separate: a separate building
Whether Exclusive: exclusively as a place of worship
Free Sittings: 80
On the 30th March
Dated: Thirty first March
Signed: John Booth Minister, Newport Pagnell
Click one of the thumbnails to read the account of the Stone laying ceremony on 25 May 1896.
Click one of the thumbnails to see photographs of part of a Class Book, or Attendance Register.
Click one of the thumbnails to see photographs of the Order of Service for the dedication of the refurbished Church Organ on Saturday 24th August 1946.
Click the thumbnail to see a photograph of the Memorial Stone for William Hill, his wife Mary Ann, his daughter Charlotte Green, who all died in 1864, and Henry Hill, who died in 1876.
Click the thumbnail to see a photograph of the Hymn Book.
Click one of the thumbnails to see photographs of the Order of a Memorial Service for King Edward VII in 1910 and three Quarterly Tickets from March and September 1893.