Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

SHS Meeting Minutes 69



23 Carters Close Sherington, 27th March 2006

Present: Norman, Mark, Pearl and Kay.

Apologies: Sheila

The minutes of the previous meetings minutes (No. 67) were approved

Matters Arising: - The HSBC account has still not been opened. Norman, Shelia, Pearl and Kay need to provide ID. Pearl will check to see if we need to make an appointment to enable us to open the account.

The visit to 78, Derngate with The New Thursday Group will not take place. There are no spare places.

Chairman's Report:

Scan Article for April is about road and lane names in the village.

Thank you cards: - Norman has produced several versions some coloured and some in black and white. He had experienced a few difficulties in printing, depending on where he carried out the printing, either at home or at the VH. The lettering came out differently. If we were to go for the cream paper printed with black ink the finished product would look best with a cream envelope. Norman told us how he had tried to contact several stationers in MK for a C6 size cream envelope but these seem difficult to acquire. He will continue to try source these.

Crown and Castle Deeds: - The deeds to the crown and Castle have been given to the society on permanent loan by Alan & Ann Barber. Dating back to about 1730 they are in 3 rolls and a folder and have for the present time been stored in the tin box.

Secretary's Report:

COIN: - The letter came in via Norman. The subscription has been paid to include us in the up to date Library reference system.

Community Raffle: - Sheila received our £30 cheque for our taking part in this years community raffle.

Letter re the future of the society: - Pearl and Kay must still get together to write to Pat Seymour.

SCAN article March 06 external repair of St Lauds: - The article written by Mike Inskipp ( Little Bird) enquired if any of the society’s members could help with the project. It was decided to drop him a line to say we have no such expertise but we would be happy to document the works once they got under way of this Grade 1 listed building.

Treasurers Report Pearl presented the accounts, they stand at £2,328,51. All the members except two were paid up.

Correspondence/E mails - none to report

Web site - Nothing to report from Ian Collinge


It was decided to run this years Scarecrow competition from the 18th June. This leads up to the Flower Festival on the weekend of the 24th and 25th culminating with Proms in the Park from 4pm on Sunday 25th in the play area next to the Village Hall. Norman will speak to Philip and an article needs to go into the May SCAN. Making the SCAN article for May the Scarecrow event.

Honours list – It has been suggested by a member of the village that one of our members be put forward for the honours list. The society will write an appropriate piece on the subject and refer to the original instigator for the appropriate address so it can be sent. Both Sheila and Norman had put pen to paper regarding the subject.

The meeting closed at 9.05pm with thanks to Kay for her hospitality and refreshments. The next committee meeting will be at Pearls on 24th April. 7.30pm Visit to The Well and Towers Historical Society Emberton 26th April 06 The next General Meeting will be at SVH 8pm when we will have a talk on Family History by Leslie Williams.


Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 6 January 2007