Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council - 1895 to 1977

Sherington Parish Council celebrated its centenary in 1995. To mark the event Barry Hollis researched and wrote a book called 'The Hundred of Sherington'. This told the history of the village based on Parish Council records from 1895 to 1977. The following are the sections of his book:

Allotments Amenities Best Kept Village
Burial Ground Celebrations Chairmen
Charities Clerk Correspondence
Councillors Education and School Matters Fire Brigade
Free Fifths Green Belt The Knoll and Village Greens
Lamplighter Meetings Miscellaneous
Overseer Parish Constable Planning and Property
Post and Telephone Precepts and Finances Recreation Field
Roads and Footpaths Sanitary Business and Water Lane Stonepits Close
Street Lighting Townsend Pond Transport
Vice-Chairmen Village Hall Water Supplies/Sewerage Disposal
World Wars    
Crest from the cover of Barry Hollis's book

The coat of arms shown on the left is from the front cover of the book.

A description of this coat of arms by Barry Hollis is given in the Introduction to the Book.

The Hundred of Sherington by Barry Hollis - The history of the village from Parish Council records 1895 - 1977 - Published 10 November 2001 - ISBN: 0 907700 20.9


Back to VILLAGE LIFE



You may also wish to visit Sherington Parish Council's web site
containing around 25 pages on the present day activities of the council,
including Council Meeting minutes since May 2003
Home Page - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 27 December 2006