Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

April 2010

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 6th April 2010 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Peter Burton (Chair), David Hyde, David Keene, Ian Thomson, Trevor Kirby and John Ager.

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk) and three members of the public

Cllr Cook.


The chairman welcomed John Ager onto the parish council who signed a Declaration of Acceptance of Office. Towards the end of the meeting Cllr Burton announced his intention to stand down as chairman at the May 2010 meeting.

The minutes of the meeting held on 2nd March 2010 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.


5.1 Election Hustings evening. The clerk confirmed that this is to take place on Sunday 2nd May at 7.30pm in St Laud’s church. All five prospective candidates have accepted an invitation to attend and Cllr Keene agreed to chair the event which will be publicised nearer the time. ACTION: Clerk

5.2 Village Clean Up Day MKC and Youth Club have expressed a willingness to get involved; it was agreed that this event should be a couple of hours during an evening in early July just before the village Flower Festival and Open Gardens. Clerk to find out exactly what equipment MKC can provide. ACTION: Clerk

5.3 Bench opposite Manor Farm. The remains of the wooden bench have been removed; Cllr Thomson will investigate whether the two metal benches in the Perry Lane storage hut can be used as replacements for opposite Manor Farm and in the village hall play area. Clerk to review the insurance policy for all the benches in the village as it would appear that the parish council is inadequately covered in this area. ACTION: Cllr Thomson, Clerk


Cllr Burton reported that the new planning application has been submitted under ref 10/00490/FUL and is now going through the consultation process; and costings from the quantity surveyor based on the new drawings have now been received. Cllr Keene was asked to try and find out from MKC Planning when a decision is likely; it is not currently known whether the village meeting planned for 20th May can go ahead. ACTION: Cllr Keene


Cllrs Keene and Kirby have been replacing the earth removed from around the new trees’ roots; it is thought that the damage is being done by foxes. The plinth has now been concreted into position and the area is due to be sprayed very soon. On the whole the trees are doing very well and the bulbs are looking lovely.


8.1 Monthly Balances Enterprise Account £234.22; Treasurer Account £3088.15

8.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

06/04/2010A H Contracts Dog bins £102.81 101788
06/04/2010E.ON Pavilion electricity £157.12 101789
06/04/2010Milton Keynes Council Pavilion rates £150.59 101790
06/04/2010BALC Subscription £131.25 101791
06/04/2010Anglian Water Pavilion water £671.11 101792
06/04/2010Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £211.00 101793
06/04/2010Wendy Austyn Clerk's expenses £17.94 101794
06/04/2010Martin Jeeves Perry Lane booking + caretaker £100.00 101795
06/04/2010Lune Architects Ltd Drawings and documentation £1468.75 101796
06/04/2010Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £98.00 101797

8.3 Bank Charge HSBC have refunded the overdrawn charge levied last month, agreeing that it was excessive.


9.1 10/00355/FUL 8 Park Road – single storey rear extension. No adverse comments

9.2 Church Farm application update. In between meetings redesigned plans for the access were received and agreed by councillors as much improved. A decision was due on 1st April.

9.3 Decisions. The applications for 10 Crofts End and 6 High St have been approved.


10.1. Pavilion management group. Cllr Thomson reported that provisional dates have been set for the football club reviews; and the builder is to be contacted regarding the storage heating and outside power cable. Cllr Burton reported that the flooring contractor is to remove and analyse a small piece of flooring in order to resolve the bubbling and seepage issues; and that WREN have offered a grant of £5500 towards the outside landscaping works; Cllr Hyde reported that one of the front doors is not closing properly; the clerk reported that MKC are looking at the car park area in front of the garages where there are several deep potholes; and the unexpectedly high water usage invoice has resulted from the meter only being read once a year and the charges have therefore accumulated over many months, this is now to be monitored monthly and readings provided to Anglian Water. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Thomson


11.1. NECAF meeting 3rd March Cllr Hyde reported the salient items of a) Salt Bins – requests can be made to MKC, it is expected the new bins will be sited in the summer and filled by MKC, the clerk confirmed that requests for Sherington have been made; b)Verge Parking Order – it was confirmed that any roads in the village giving cause for concern can be assessed to become part of the enforcement order in the future if necessary; c) Cycle Path to Newport Pagnell – Richard Duffill was surprised this is still outstanding and Ceri Griffin is to contact the parish council, clerk to chase; d) Trevor Dove Traffic and Transport Manager has left MKC, he will be greatly missed.

11.1. NAG meeting Tuesday 23rd March – this was cancelled


12.1.Church End traffic Several issues have been raised about Church End, namely difficulty in accessing properties when there are lots of cars parked alongside the road; cars attempting to turn around and causing damage to verges and driveways; concern re emergency vehicles gaining access to church. It was agreed to contact MKC Highways and hold an on site meeting with the interested parties to find a way forward. ACTION: Clerk

12.2. White Hart festival A letter has been received from a resident asking the parish council to liaise with the pub and police about this upcoming event. It was agreed that any policing of the event was Keith’s responsibility but to make him aware of the contents of the letter. ACTION: Clerk

At this point (8.35pm) Cllr Burton left the meeting and Cllr David Hyde took the chair.


13.1. Robert Brewis requested some assistance at the Hustings evening; there are various roles that will need to be fulfilled.


14.1. Cllr Kirby reported how lovely all the bulbs that were planted in November are looking and thanked all the helpers from Youth Club. A note to be placed in SCAN.

14.2. Cllr Thomson reported that a few residents have expressed concern as to the use of the land next to 43 Water Lane of which the view has been recently obscured by placing plastic sheeting over the fencing. It was agreed to monitor this. ACTION: All cllrs

15. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The Annual Parish Meeting will be held on Tuesday 4th May 2010 at the Village Hall commencing at 7pm. The Annual Meeting of the Parish Council will follow at 7.30pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.47pm

          Pages 1330 to 1332  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018