Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

April 2011

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 5th April 2011 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs P Burton (Chair), D Keene, D Hyde, T Kirby, J Ager, M Northfield and I Thomson

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk) Cllr Sam Potts (arrived 7.55pm) and 3 members of the public

Cllr Burton paid tribute to Peter Cook who had served as a Sherington parish councillor for seven years but sadly died on 22nd March 2011 after 18 months of bravely fought illness. The funeral took place on Friday 1st April at Bedford School chapel and the parish council was represented by Cllrs Burton and Hyde. Councillors observed one minute silence in remembrance of Peter who will be truly missed by his friends and colleagues. It was agreed to purchase a gift for the family, to be discussed with them. ACTION: Cllr Burton



The minutes of the meeting held on 1st March 2011 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman


5.1 Potholes. MKC only have a couple of potholes outstanding on their system so residents are urged to report any potholes in the village, even if they have been repaired before.

5.2 Youth Club community projects. The youth club has asked for more ideas for community projects. It was agreed that apart from asking them to contact the church, help was most needed at the upcoming village fete on 3rd July at the recreation ground. ACTION: Clerk


Cllr Northfield reported that the planning application for a temporary building is nearly ready for submission; more people have joined the committee and have formed sub-committees dealing with planning, fundraising, marketing etc including the establishment of a dedicated website. Cllr Burton reported the Post Office's request to be kept informed of the project's progress. Councillors acknowledged the note of thanks to ShopCo from a resident in SCAN magazine. ACTION: Cllr Northfield, Cllr Keene


Cllr Keene is due to meet with Peter Crook to agree how to make the footbridge safer and more accessible. The council has agreed to spend £1000 this year, half of which will be funded by MKC. Other improvements will include a natural seat dug into the bank and fingerpost signage. ACTION: Cllr Keene


8.1 Monthly Balances Enterprise Account £705.70; Treasurer Account £7116.47

8.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

05/04/2011BALC Subscription £131.00 101887
05/04/2011E.ON Electricity for pavilion £270.24 101888
05/04/2011Anglian Water Water for pavilion £89.34 101889
05/04/2011Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £196.62 101890
05/04/2011Wendy Austyn Clerk's expenses £21.88 101891
05/04/2011A H Contracts Dog bins £84.00 101892
05/04/2011Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker/bookings £100.00 101893
05/04/2011R C Builders & Contractors Exterior landscaping pavilion £5,400.00 101894
05/04/2011Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £52.50 101895

8.3 Approve expenditure for turfing at recreation ground £435 was approved between meetings by emails from councillors; however Cllr Sam Potts has been able to award the parish council just under £300 towards this work.

8.4 HMR&C guidance The clerk advised the council that HMR&C has issued new guidance stating that clerks cannot be self-employed and must be subject to PAYE. The clerk will investigate the implications of this and report back . ACTION: Clerk


9.1. Decisions. The application for 25 Crofts End has been withdrawn. Cllr Potts advised that the planning application for The Swan Inn will be decided by the Development Control Committee.


10.1. Pavilion exterior landscaping. Cllr Burton reported that the work to build a retaining wall, steps and drainage is complete. The council agreed to pay the contractor the remainder of his invoice as soon as the first half of the precept money is paid over, which will be before the May meeting. Turfing at the top of the new steps has also been completed; and a quote of £350 has been received to put raised edging on the footpath immediately adjacent to the car park to stop it eroding. A drain will also be put into the footpath. ACTION: Clerk

10.2. Pavilion management group. Cllr Burton has spoken to Cllr Sam Potts about improving the car park lighting, who in turn is in touch with MKC's Rob Ward. Quotes are needed to improve the security lighting around the soffits. An invoice received by the plumber to replace an internal water heater is currently being disputed. Bookings are slowly improving. Cllr Sam Potts has ordered four wooden benches for the site. Fete preparations are progressing well. More quotes are needed to replace the BMX track stones with turf. ACTION: Cllr Potts, Clerk


11.1. Report from NECAF 9th March Cllr Hyde reported that public transport was discussed at length and urged the council to pass on any concerns about people who are inconvenienced by the lack of buses especially there currently being no through service from Newport Pagnell to Northampton




13.1. The road surface and ditches on Gun Lane need considerable attention. The clerk is awaiting a response regarding the ditches issue raised last month. ACTION: Clerk

13.2. Following the withdrawal of 25 Crofts End's planning application it was agreed to ask if MKC is taking any enforcement action. ACTION: Clerk

13.3. Dogs are reported running free on the village hall play area. Ideas such as having "No Dogs" signs and fencing the play area were discussed before agreeing to obtain "Keep Dogs on a lead" signs. Cllr Potts agreed to try and source these. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Potts

13.4. Hillview residents with gardens that back onto the recreation ground need to be considered if the car park lighting is improved.


14.1 Cllr Kirby reported that youths are congregating at the recreation ground and adjacent track. The police need to be asked to increase their presence in the area in order to move them on. ACTION: Clerk

14.2 Cllr Ager reported an increase in dumped tyres around the village.

14.3 Cllr Keene asked about the nominations to the parish council. The clerk reported that there have been six nominations so all candidates will be elected unopposed. Cllrs Kirby and Burton are standing down.

14.4 Cllr Burton thanked Cllr Kirby for his valued contribution over the last two years.

15. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The Annual Parish Meeting will be held on Tuesday 10th May 2011 at the Pavilion commencing at 7 pm, followed by the Annual Meeting of the Parish Council at 7.30pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.40pm

          Pages 1362 to 1364  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018