Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

April 2012

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 3rd April 2012 at Sherington Village Hall, commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs D Keene (Chair), J Ager, D Hyde, M Northfield and A Green

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk), Cllr Keith McLean (Sherington Ward councillor) and two members of the public

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Cllr Denman. The chairman informed the parish council that he had received notice of resignation from Cllr Thomson with immediate effect. There is therefore now a vacancy on the council which will be advertised in due course.

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Cllr Northfield declared an interest in the Shopco update.

3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING
The minutes of the meeting held on 6th March 2012 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

4. CLERK'S REPORT

4.1 Adult Fitness Equipment. The clerk informed the parish council that she attended a meeting with Cllr Thomson and Robbie Caddock from the Fix It Team at MKC at the village hall park, where the area next to the "spider's web" climbing frame was suggested and agreed as a suitable location. Discussion took place as to types of fitness equipment that would be suitable but no specific decisions were taken. Officer Caddock encouraged the parish council to apply for MKC funding even if the exact details were yet to be agreed. Just before the meeting ended, the resident from the adjacent property approached the meeting and raised concerns over having equipment on the other side of her fence, the clerk and MKC officer then left as the discussion continued. The clerk reported on subsequent events which then led to Cllr Thomson resigning from the parish council. Cllr Keene who was not present at the previous meeting, said he felt the play area adjacent to the village hall was in danger of becoming cluttered and therefore was not in support of siting any more equipment there. After a brief discussion it was agreed that the location needed to be more carefully considered, and to wait until the funding decision had been made before taking the project forward. It was also agreed that some of the parish council's general reserves could be spent to top up the total funds allocated to this project. ACTION: Clerk

4.2 Wind Turbine Consultation. Further to last month's meeting councillors emailed their comments to the clerk who collated and sent a combined response to the 3 specific questions. 1) Do you agree with the height definitions and the associated separation distances proposed in the draft emerging policy? If not, what do you consider that they should be? Response given - Minimum separation distance should be 500m; 2) Should the separation distance from wind turbines be measured from dwellings or settlements? Response given - Separation should be measured from settlements; 3) Do you agree with the suggested separation distances from footpaths and bridleways? If not, what policy do you think should apply to footpaths and bridleways? Response given - Footpaths and bridleways should be excluded from distance tests, however agree with suggested separation distances if policy does not allow for exclusion.

4.3 Suggestion of path around VH car park for access to shop. The clerk has contacted MKC's Neighbourhood Management team who have agreed to attend a site visit and offer advice and information. Robbie Caddock from the Fix It Team has also offered to provide a quote to install a temporary path. After some discussion it was agreed in the first instance to suggest a meeting between Shopco, the parish council and the Village Hall trustees to discuss car park and shop access for vehicles and pedestrians in general. ACTION: Cllr Northfield

4.4 Drain cover replacements at Chicheley Hill. MKC has reported that the drain covers at Chicheley Hill are of a particular non-standard curved design and supplies of replacement covers are awaited. Both the clerk and Ward Councillor McLean will chase this. ACTION: Clerk

5. SHERINGTON COMMUNITY SHOP LTD (A.K.A SHOPCO) UPDATE

Cllr Northfield reported that the shop appears to be operating successfully and business is brisk. The grand opening was a well-attended successful event that raised another £400+ in donations. There have been favourable comments from both within and outside the village. The issue with early morning deliveries was addressed during a constructive meeting held with all parties concerned and with a new process in place this seems to have been resolved. Cllr Northfield will contact those residents involved to check that this is the case. A planning application has been submitted for the installed signage; and another funding application to the Parish Partnership Fund at MKC is currently being prepared, as suggested by the Community Liaison and Environment officers. ACTION: Cllr Northfield, Clerk

6. SHOPCO/PARISH COUNCIL LEASE
Cllr Keene reported that a draft lease agreement has now been forwarded to Shopco for its review. ACTION: Cllr Northfield

7. DIAMOND JUBILEE BEACON
The clerk reminded the council that there is only one parish council meeting left before this event on the evening of Tuesday 5th June. Notes in SCAN have been placed to ask for volunteer help although there has been no response so far. Cllr Keene will investigate how best to construct the beacon. It was agreed to invite villagers to the event with a SCAN article. The clerk will enquire as to how long the beacon is expected to stay lit for. ACTION: Cllr Keene, Clerk

8. FINANCE

8.1 Bank Account balance at 3rd April 2012 £11797.59

8.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

03/04/2012Sherington Community Shop Ltd Transfer of PPF grant £6,000.00 101997
03/04/2012MK Community Mediation Service Donation £100.00 101998
03/04/2012Community Impact Bucks Subscription £50.00 101999
03/04/2012BALC Subscription £140.94 102000
03/04/2012Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £151.10 102001
03/04/2012Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker/bookings £100.00 102002
03/04/2012Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £56.00 102003
03/04/2012Owens Plumbing Services Ltd Plumbing work to storage shed £40.00 102004

9. PLANNING APPLICATIONS AND DECISIONS

9.1. 12/00354/FUL Coney Grey, Gun Lane - Erection of a polytunnel for sheep housing. Councillors had no adverse comments.

9.2. 12/00578/TCA 5 Field Close - Notification of intention to remove Leyland Cypress hedge. There were no adverse comments.

9.3. Decisions. The application for Sherington House, Park Road has been permitted.

10. SHERINGTON SPORTS GROUND

10.1. Pavilion management group. Cllr Keene reported that regular bookings are picking up nicely. The clerk reported that some minor plumbing work had been carried out in the storage shed.

11. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

None.

12. CORRESPONDENCE/NEW CONSULTATIONS

12.1. MKC has forwarded a survey from the Office of Fair Trading regarding services to remote communities. It was agreed that this was not relevant to Sherington.

13.PUBLIC COMMENTS

13.1 A resident questioned whether the parish council can legally enter into a lease agreement with a limited company. Neither the clerk not the chair has been informed otherwise but will double che ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Keene

13.2 It was enquired when the other side of the hedge on the road to Newport Pagnell will be cut back. MKC has informed the parish council that this will be done when the bird nesting season is over.

13.3 Cllr Keith McLean the councillor for Sherington Ward reported that his investigations into retrospective planning applications across the borough of Milton Keynes is ongoing. Out of a total 1250 applications over 4 years, 70 per year have been officially submitted as "retrospective". Cllr Hyde reiterated his request to find out how many developments have been dismantled following unsuccessful retrospective planning applications or appeals.

13.4 Cllr McLean reported that he had been contacted by a representative from Sherington Youth Club with a verbal application for some funding but had not seen a response to his subsequent request for some details of the community group. The clerk will ask the Youth Club leaders to contact Keith. ACTION: Clerk

14 COUNCILLORS ITEMS

14.1 Cllr Ager reported an increase of tyres being dumped around the mound area.

14.2 Cllr Ager re-raised a concern over the state of the verges on Bedford Road which are still being worn away by heavy vehicles. The clerk will contact MKC Neighbourhood Management to see what measures can be taken to prevent this. ACTION: Clerk

14.3 Cllr Green has received a request from the village website manager to have draft parish council minutes published before they are officially approved at the next meeting. It was agreed to place this on the May agenda for consideration. ACTION: Clerk

14.4 It was agreed to ask a representative from the MKC Neighbourhood Management team to accompany councillors on their spring walkabout, date to be confirmed. ACTION: Clerk

15. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The Annual Parish Meeting will be held on Tuesday 1st May 2012 at the Village Hall commencing at 7 pm. The Annual Meeting of the Parish Council will follow at 7.30pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.50 pm

          Pages 1396 to 1398  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018