Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

April 2009

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 7th April 2009 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Peter Burton (Chair), David Keene (arrived 8pm), David Hyde, Peter Cook, David Wright and Ian Thomson

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk), Sam Potts and five other members of the public

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
None.

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
None.

3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING
The minutes of the meeting held on 3rd March 2009 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

4. COUNCILLOR VACANCIES AND CO-OPTION
There are currently two vacancies for councillor; Ian Thomson was re-co-opted and he signed a Declaration of Acceptance of Office; on behalf of the parish council Cllr Burton thanked David Wright and Lisa Masters for their contribution and wished them both well.

5. CLERK'S REPORT

5.1 Bus shelter. The ground work by MKC is due to commence this week and take approximately 4 days. The clerk has informed the shelter supplier. ACTION: Clerk

5.2. Surface dressing on High St summer 09. It has been noted that MKC has scheduled resurfacing of the High St sometime between 1st June and 31st July this year. Clerk to enquire as to whether residents will be informed. ACTION: Clerk

5.3 Environmental Visual Audit with TVP. This has been pencilled in for Wednesday 22nd April morning, starting at the recreation ground. Cllrs asked to attend if available. ACTION: Clerk and other Cllrs

5.4. Mobile police station with PCSO Matthew Wareham. This has started up again with planned visits to Sherington on 16th April, 29th April and 14th May.

5.5 Youth Club community project. Sherington Youth Club would like to get involved in a community project, parish councillors to consider ideas. ACTION: All Cllrs

5.6. SID locations. The clerk is enquiring with MKC as to how to get SIDS placed at other locations in the village where speed is known to be an issue e.g. Perry Lane, Gun Lane, Water Lane and Crofts End going down the hill. ACTION: Clerk

5.7 Mobile speed camera. Further to the enquiry last month it has been difficult to obtain actual data from the recent visits but PC John Bulman from the Roads Policing department sent some general information. It was agreed to find out what a Community Speed Watch Kit contains that has been offered for hire by Cheddington Parish Council at £100 per fortnight. ACTION: Clerk

5.8. Redundant pole on Crofts End. The clerk is currently in contact with Carillion (was McAlpine) to get the pole removed, Bob Semple says this may be BTís responsibility. ACTION: Clerk

5.9 Royal Mail posting boxes. Cllrs met with a representative of Royal Mail who was positive about placing a new larger posting box on the Knoll and also outside the school. Assuming there are no issues from MKC Highways or utility companies this should go ahead within a couple of months. ACTION: Clerk

6. PARISH PLAN

As this was his last meeting, Cllr Wright confirmed that the basic framework of the parish plan is in place, and recent projects such as Stonepits Copse and the pavilion need adding in. At the last opportunity for public consultation i.e. Sherington on Show in September 2008, positive feedback was received but no specific issues were reported. The council agreed that the current major village issues include the closure of the pub and the uncertain future of the post office and shop, and that possibly a village open meeting was needed to create a forum for new ideas and the way forward. It was agreed that whilst the parish council could take the initiative to facilitate this forum, it was not wholly responsible for the action now needed. After discussion the council agreed to meet informally before the May meeting to discuss ideas on how to progress this. David Wright offered to stay involved. ACTION: All to meet

7. STONEPITS CLOSE WOODLAND PROJECT

The footbridge has now been repaired. Cllr Cook reported that watering may be an issue if the current dry weather continues; he offered to monitor this and take any necessary action. Cllr Keene will organise the low stone plaque and also a plan for SCAN magazine to show residents where the site is. ACTION: Cllr Cook, Cllr Keene

8. FINANCE

8.1 Monthly balances. Enterprise Account £4703.42; Treasurer Account £13464.01

8.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

07/04/2009Leslie Goodway Curtians for pavilion £625.00101671
07/04/2009Anglian Water Services Ltd Pavilion water £111.37 101672
07/04/2009A H Contracts Dog bins £103.04 101673
07/04/2009Blue Flame Plumbing & Heating Pavilion shower refurbishment £5,267.00 101674
07/04/2009Lune Architects Ltd Pavilion project management £1,035.00 101675
07/04/2009Waste Recycling Group Ltd CTP payment for pavilion porch £907.50 101676
07/04/2009E.ON Pavilion electricity £45.41 101677
07/04/2009BALC Subscriptions £119.48 101678
07/04/2009Bernard Crook Garden Services Ltd Stonepits Copse planting £1,675.27 101679
07/04/2009Bernard Crook Garden Services Ltd Stonepits Copse footbridge £345.00 101680
07/04/2009Milton Keynes Council Pavilion rates £177.97 101681
07/04/2009Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £306.93 101682
07/04/2009Martin Jeeves Perry Lane booking clerk £50.00 101683
07/04/2009Colin Scowen Perry Lane caretaker £75.00 101684
07/04/2009Wendy Austyn Pavilion items £50.86 101685
07/04/2009Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £70.00 101686

8.3 Clerkís salary 0.3% increase. Final rates from April 2008 have been agreed by NALC, the council agreed this expenditure.

8.4 Insurance. An alternative quote for the councilís insurance has been received, which would appear to offer considerable savings. Clerk to obtain another quote and chase current insurers for the renewal quote. ACTION: Clerk

9. PLANNING

9.1 09/00197/FUL The Manor 4 High St. Demolish outbuildings and build 2 single storey extensions - After some discussion the majority agreed there were no adverse comments.

9.2 09/00198/LBC The Manor 4 High St. Listed building consent for above - no adverse comments.

9.3 Grange Farm, Chicheley Ė public path diversion order consultation - Only one councillor had walked any of the routes in question and expressed some concerns, so it was agreed to defer the councilís opinion until the May meeting. ACTION: Clerk

9.4 Decisions Applications from 24 Gun Lane and 16 Crofts End have been permitted.

9.5 Land adj. to 10 Crofts End - Cllr Keene reported that the neighbours are now objecting to the back garden being raised by 0.5m..

10. SHERINGTON SPORTS GROUND

10.1. Pavilion building/refurbishment project. Cllr Burton reported WREN have granted £8250 towards the new porch and that the tender has been awarded to R C Builders who will also build a screen between the new and old parts of the building and relocate the emergency exit. ACTION: Cllr Burton, Clerk

10.2. Pavilion management group. Cllr Thomson reported that business is brisk with enquiries and bookings from Sherington School, MKC, Sherington Youth Club and Sherington Twinning Association amongst others. Recent hire has confirmed that instructions to operate the heating are required. The pavilion will open to visitors on Sunday 19th April 10am to 12 noon. Cllr Burton reported that Willen Juniors FC are keen to start a youth team on a 7 aside pitch, and suggested that a high wire mesh fence would be needed along the front of the car park.

10.3. Pitch maintenance. The first part of the agreed maintenance plan is to verti-drain the pitch which will take place in the next couple of weeks. ACTION: Clerk

11. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

11.1. MKNECAF Wed 4th March Cllr Hyde reported that his suggestion at the NECAF to combine with the NAG was turned down. He will report any other items of interest at the May meeting. ACTION: Cllr Hyde

11.2. Neighbourhood Action Group (NAG) Tues 28th April 7.30pm Stoke Goldington

12. CORRESPONDENCE

12.1 Pre-school. A letter has been received thanking the parish council for its donation towards the outdoor safety matting.

12.2 Pavilion. A letter has been received expressing concern over the quality of the building work; this has been passed to the project manager Lune Architects. ACTION: Clerk

12.3 Reference. The parish council has been asked to provide a reference for Lune Architects. ACTION: Cllr Burton

13. PUBLIC COMMENTS

13.1. The application by Alban Hill Nursery for a CLUE has been resubmitted.

13.2. The application to build a property in the garden of the Manor House has been amended so that the vehicular gateway will be at the location of the current pedestrian gate.

13.3. The parish council was thanked for its good work and efforts.

13.4. It was suggested that the MKC co-ordinate its High St resurfacing work with any planned work by utility companies to avoid the new surface being dug up. ACTION: Clerk

13.5. It was suggested that the phone box on The Knoll was in need of refurbishment. It was noted that there is a preservation order on it. ACTION: Clerk

13.6. Sam Potts reported that a decision on the expansion plans for east of the M1 is expected in July/August 2009.

13.7. Sam Potts reported that the new owners of Chicheley Hall are proposing wind turbines on the property. Sherington Parish Council has not been consulted on this. ACTION: Clerk

13.8. Sam Potts reported that more resource is being dedicated to repairing the potholes in rural areas.

14. COUNCILLORS ITEMS

14.1. Cllr Cook reported youths climbing over wet haystacks on his land with potentially serious consequences. A note to go in SCAN.

14.2. Cllr Cook reported that Bernard Soul has been asked to trim his hedge on the High St before Gun Lane

14.3. Cllr Wright said that he had enjoyed his time on the parish council and was sorry to have to stand down. He reiterated his opinion that the volume of paperwork which councillors are expected to read prevents them from concentrating on real village issues.

14.4. Cllr Keene reported the stripping of bark from trees on the Mound. Clerk to address with MKC who is responsible for its maintenance. ACTION: Clerk

14.5. Cllr Burton reported that maintenance to the village hall play area swings has been carried out. It is hoped that MKC Play Areas will allocate some of its budget to laying safety surfacing underneath both sets of swings and the junior goal mouths. ACTION: Clerk

15. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The Annual Parish Meeting will be held on Tuesday 5th May 2009 at the Village Hall commencing at 7pm. This will be followed by the Annual Meeting of the Parish Council at 7.30pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.30 pm

          Pages 1288 to 1291  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018