Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

December 2010

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 7th December 2010 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs P Burton (Chair), D Keene, D Hyde, T Kirby, J Ager and M Northfield.

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk), and 11 members of the public

Cllr Thomson.

Cllr Northfield declared an interest in the community shop item, Cllr Hyde declared an interest in the Calgary House planning application as a member of the church committee.

The minutes of the meeting held on 2nd November 2010 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.


4.1 Community Speedwatch training. Thames Valley Police are offering free training in the use of vehicle speed detection kits for volunteers from parishes within the Rural North NAG. Councillors generally felt that whilst they themselves would not advocate getting involved in such police activities, it was up to individual residents to decide so a note will be placed in SCAN. It was also agreed to try and get some feedback from other parishes who are already involved in the Community Speedwatch scheme. ACTION: Clerk

4.2 National Tree Week. Funding is available from The Tree Council for community groups involved in tree planting projects next year. The deadline for applications is 31st March 2011 so it was agreed to place a note in SCAN and also directly contact any community groups that might be interested. Councillors suggested sites such as the Village Hall play area, Perry Lane Recreation Ground and Stonepits Copse as possible venues for a parish council application. ACTION: Clerk

4.3 Parish Online Mapping system. A new service has been launched which helps parish councils to manage their business and communicate effectively with residents through the use of digital maps and aerial photography. There is an annual fee of £10 and a one off setup fee of £20. It was agreed to obtain feedback following the demonstration of the product anticipated at the Parishes Forum on 9th December. ACTION: Clerk

4.4 VH Play Area Improvement Project. The chairman and the clerk met with Phil Snell MKC Projects Officer to discuss ideas to spend the matched funding awarded. It was agreed to try and approach the relevant community groups e.g. youth club and school for some feedback before making a decision in January. ACTION: Clerk

4.5 Christmas tree on Knoll. The parish council wished to express thanks to the team of residents responsible for erecting and decorating the Christmas tree on the Knoll. It was also agreed to write a letter of thanks to Alban Hill Nursery for donating the tree. ACTION: Clerk


Cllr Northfield, new co-chairman of ShopCo reported that the meeting with MKC to discuss planning consent for a temporary building at the village hall play area has yet to take place. The Village Hall trustees have been approached for a meeting but have not yet responded. Sources of funding for such a project are currently being explored and the recently closed Swan pub may now be reconsidered as a possible location. The parish council chairman urged the shop committee to keep up the momentum before public interest wanes. ACTION: Cllr Northfield


Cllr Keene reported that J W Cook & Son has given permission to remove part of the hedge that runs alongside the public footpath in order to install a wooden stile. He has also spoken to Bernard Crook Garden Services about the purchase and installation. The clerk reported that she has placed the purchase order to carry out the works. The owner of the kennels whose property adjoins Stonepits Copse has expressed concern over the proposals, however it was agreed that a stile just under two thirds along the hedge would lead people back onto the footpath at that point and they are therefore less likely to go near the adjacent land. On-going maintenance of the site needs to be considered when deciding on the 2011/12 precept in January, the council has been advised to arrange a grass cut before the spring to allow the bulbs to push through and the weeds around the trees will need to be sprayed. ACTION: Cllr Keene


Cllr Keene reported that this document would appear to be an overall assessment of Milton Keynes’ economy and has no real relevance for Sherington. ACTION: Cllr Keene


Further to last month, Cllr Hyde has spoken to the editor and whilst assuring her that there was no implied criticism of her decision to cancel the January edition of SCAN, suggested other solutions to the workload issue such as an interim “dates only” flyer, and getting some help with the editing. It was agreed to think about this issue in time for the January 2012 edition.


Cllr Ager advised that this needs updating, it was agreed to have an informal discussion at the precept meeting in January to decide how to take this forward.


10.1 Monthly Balances Enterprise Account £5130.51; Treasurer Account £3763.04

10.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

07/12/2010Sherington Village Hall Hall Hire £33.00 101852
07/12/2010Sports Ground Services Mowing rec field £324.30 101853
07/12/2010R C Builders & Contractors Pavilion repairs £359.55 101854
07/12/2010SLCC Clerk's membership £72.00 101855
07/12/2010SCAN magazine Donation £225.00 101856
07/12/2010St Lauds Church Donation £500.00 101857
07/12/2010Tony Pilcher Donation £25.00 101858
07/12/2010Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £225.39 101859
07/12/2010Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker/bookings £100.00 101860
07/12/2010A H Contracts Dog bins £102.81 101861
07/12/2010D C Blunt Gardening Services Mowing £1,368.88 101862
07/12/2010Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £52.50 101863


11.1. 10/02219/TCA The Old Rectory - tree felling and pruning. No adverse comments.

11.2. 10/02172/FUL Calgary House 5 Church End – detached two bedroomed annex. After much discussion the parish council agreed to object to this proposal because of the adverse impact it will have on the Conservation Area and particularly the setting of St Lauds Church. It was agreed that the proposed siting is too close to boundary walls and suggested that a more satisfactory design and location might overcome these concerns.

11.3. 10/02279/FUL The Old Post Office 21 High St – first floor rear extension. After discussion it was agreed to object to this application because it is not clear whether the concerns of the conservation Officer have been addressed and how daylight impacts on adjacent properties are being dealt with. There were also concerns over chimney height, overpowering development and adverse impact on neighbouring properties and possible inappropriate use of wooden cladding. Cllr Kirby wanted the record to show he objected to this application. The clerk reported that the creation of a new access way onto Water Lane from the rear of this property does not require planning consent.

11.4. 10/02286/FUL & 10/02287/LBC The Old Rectory 16 School Lane – demolish outhouses, construct 2 storey house including barn conversion. The council raised no objection to this application because it restores an old structure and is located on previously developed land. The design is also well-considered. However, it was agreed to make clear to MKC that the parish council does not generally support development within large gardens in the Conservation Area. The lack of any objection to this application should not be seen as setting any form of precedent, the council will continue to assess any similar application on its individual merits.


12.1. Pavilion exterior landscaping. Cllr Burton reported that a purchase order has been placed on the builder who hopes to start work imminently. ACTION: Clerk

12.2. Pavilion management group. Cllr Thomson was absent so unable to report. The clerk reported that an electrician has reported that outside electric point is not live so can safely be removed. There may be some funding from Bucks Playing Fields Association for small projects such as turfing the BMX track, Cllr Ager will look into this. The next meeting is on Tuesday 11th January 2011 at the pavilion. (Post meeting note: a draft Delegation of Management Agreement has been submitted to the committee for perusal) ACTION: Cllr Ager


13.1. Report from NECAF 2nd December. Cllr Hyde reported the new Neighbourhood Manager Rob Ward would like to attend a parish council meeting, so it was agreed to invite him to the February meeting; it was confirmed that there is no personal liability with residents spreading salt on footpaths and roads; the two outstanding Wind Farm planning applications in the region are now part of an Appeal Against Non Determination; the cycle path project was again pursued with up to date information promised from Rob Ward; parish councils are required to sign the new Parish Protocol which has now replaced the Parish Charter, however it is no longer a condition of MKC’s funding awards that applicants have signed the protocol.

13.2. Interim NECAF Wed 19th January 2011 North Crawley Institute. MKC Deputy Head of Finance Gary Waghorn will attend to talk more about changes to the economic environment at MKC.

13.3. Precept meeting 2011/12. Scheduled for Tuesday 11th January 8pm at the pavilion

13.4. Rural Masterplanning and Design workshop Monday 17th January MKC. Hosted by MKC this workshop covers assessing design of quality rural housing. Cllrs Keene and Kirby expressed a desire to attend.


Several letters of objection and comments have been received regarding the planning application at Calgary House.


15.1. A resident reported insufficient planning application notices posted in the vicinity of Calgary House, and also pages missing from the documents posted online by MKC.


Cllr Burton wished everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

17. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 4th January 2011 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.20pm.

          Pages 1350 to 1352  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018