Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

December 2012

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 4th December 2012 at Sherington Village Hall, commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs D Keene (Chair), J Ager, D Hyde, M Northfield, A Green, A Denman and I Collinge

ALSO ATTENDING:Wendy Austyn (Clerk), Cllr K McLean (Sherington Ward), PC Andy Perry and PCSO Pat Flynn (TVP) and six members of the public


Cllr Northfield declared an interest in item 5.

The minutes of the meeting held on 4th November 2012 were agreed as a true record and signed by the acting Chairman.

Richard Duffill from MKC did not attend the meeting, despite saying he would. PC Andy Perry from Thames Valley Police who looks after 24 villages and Olney attended the meeting, supported by PCSO Pat Flynn. PC Perry covered the main issues faced by many rural areas.
1) Parking: this is a low priority for the police and often by the time someone is available to attend the issue has resolved itself. However unless a parked vehicle is causing an unnecessary obstruction i.e. a double pushchair cannot pass on the pavement, or the largest of emergency vehicle cannot get by on the road; or is in a dangerous position the owner is unlikely to face prosecution anyway. If an officer or PCSO is able to attend they will firstly try to speak to the vehicle owner, the second stage is to issue a parking ticket and the third is to tow the vehicle away. PC Perry advised that by phoning the non-emergency police telephone number 101 a history of repeat offenders could be created. The police have no powers of enforcement over parking on yellow lines or on grass verges; this is the responsibility of the local authority. There is a parking enforcement scheme which the parish council can opt into, which will involve road markings and signs.
2) Speeding: the mobile hand held speed camera currently only operates in designated places but PC Perry stated he would arrange for other locations to be included in the near future. There is a Community Speedwatch Scheme in which volunteers from each parish operate the handheld camera, note the details of speeding vehicles and pass to the attending PCSO who sends an advisory letter to the owner. The local authority SID (Speed Indicator Device) programme has been subject to budget cuts but the local NAG (Neighbourhood Action Group) whose priority this year is speeding, is looking at creating a community SID programme whereby the cost of operating and using a SID is shared by participating villages. PC Perry advised that TVP officers attend NAG meetings rather than any other community forum; and also that there have been a higher number of burglaries in Olney recently and reminded residents to be vigilant and use visible deterrents in the home.
The chairman opened the meeting up to public comments which were responded to by PC Perry:
1) Bedford Road is narrow and two large vehicles struggle to pass each other - a phased speed reduction zone or moving the 30mph limit could be explored
2) Increase in traffic at Sherington Bridge - the local authority can put counters across the road. The clerk reported that the current counters have been installed by a local developer and Richard Duffill is trying to obtain the data.
3) Speeding vehicles cut through via the High St to avoid the bypass - a handheld camera from the Community Speedwatch Scheme could identify these.
The chairman thanked PC Perry and PCSO Flynn for their advice and information.

Cllr Northfield reported that a response is still awaited from both solicitors. It was agreed that the length of time being taken to resolve this issue is unacceptable and that it should be urgently chased up. ACTION: Cllr Northfield


6.1 MKC Parish Community Safety Fund. The clerk reported that a new joint matched fund has been set up by MKC with a total pot of £100k to be spent by 31st March 2014. Councillors were asked to think of ideas where this fund could be used within the village to discuss at the January meeting. ACTION: All cllrs


7.1 Bank Account balance at 4th December 2012 £21160.19

7.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

04/12/2012SCAN magazine Donation £225.00102054
04/12/2012St Lauds PCC Donation £550.00 102055
04/12/2012Milton Keynes Council Tree clearance £210.00 102056
04/12/2012MK Play Association Play Ranger sessions £1,440.00 102057
04/12/2012D C Blunt Gardening Services Mowing except Perry Lane £840.00 102058
04/12/2012D C Blunt Gardening Services Perry Lane groundsman £558.00 102058
04/12/2012Sports Ground Services Mowing rec field £331.20 102059
04/12/2012Sherington Village Hall Hall hire £36.00 102060
04/12/2012Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker and bookings £100.00 102061
04/12/2012A H Contracts Dog Bins £273.00 102062
04/12/2012SLCC Subscription £75.00 102063
04/12/2012Anglian Water Water for pavilion £134.67 102064
04/12/2012Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £135.20 102065
04/12/2012Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £52.00 102066

7.3 MKCF funding application. The clerk reported that the application for funding towards MKPA Play Ranger sessions has been re-submitted; a decision is expected at the end of January.


8.1. 12/02331/FUL 25 High St - Change of use of shop to dwelling house to be incorporated into existing residential dwelling There were no adverse comments.

8.2. Decisions. The applications for Barn in Shoulder of Mutton Field, Gun Lane and 53 High St have been permitted.


9.1. Pavilion management group. The clerk reported that two new benches have been ordered; when they arrive the pavilion committee will arrange their installation on the recreation field. It was also reported that Phil Snell from MKC has met with the pavilion committee regarding the installation of fitness equipment on the recreation ground. The clerk will try to establish when this is likely to take place. ACTION: Clerk


10.1. Next NECAF 5th December 7.30pm Weston Underwood Cllr Hyde will attend. Cllr McLean reported that Martin Goff (see item 11.1) will be present at the meeting.

10.2. Next NAG meeting 17th January 2013 Newton Blossomville. Cllr McLean encouraged Sherington residents to get involved with this forum, if only on a trial basis.


11.1. Small Rural Schools consultation MKC consultant Martin Goff has been asked to visit all small rural schools in the area as part of a project to identify what key issues are faced in terms of financial viability. The parish council has been invited to comment, Cllr Hyde will forward comments to the Clerk after the NECAF meeting. ACTION: Cllr Hyde, Clerk

11.2. MKC Neighbourhood Services survey Cllr Keene and the Clerk will send the council's response. ACTION: Cllr Keene, Clerk

11.3. MKC Public Open Space strategy It was agreed that a response was not necessary.

11.4. Cycling strategy for Milton Keynes The strategy proposals were agreed in principle; however councillors raised concerns regarding the lack of connections from the existing redways to the rural areas. ACTION: Clerk


12.1 Michael Cook advised the parish council that he had put a letter to residents in SCAN magazine regarding the use of footpaths around land belonging to J W Cook & Son.

12.2 North Bucks Vintage Tractor Club recently had to postpone a ploughing match in Sherington; this will now take place in January.

12.3 Concern was raised over the double handling of newspapers for the shop. Alan Sims reported that as from 1st January 2013 deliveries will not be accepted at his property.

12.4 A resident reported fallen kerbstones on Church Road, Cllr Hyde reported that these were pointed out during his walkabout with Heather Baker, clerk to chase. ACTION: Clerk

12.5 A resident reported that the ditch on Water Lane just before the turning point is overgrown. ACTION: Clerk

12.6 Mel Northfield, on behalf of Shopco reported that it is the committee's intention to submit proposals to MKC Planning in order to resolve the current issues regarding early morning deliveries.


13.1 Cllr Collinge reported that potholes were repaired within a few days of his notification to MKC.

13.2 Cllr Denman reported problems with the Stagecoach bus service. Details to be passed onto MKC for assistance. ACTION: Cllr Denman, Clerk

13.3 Cllr Hyde reported that he took photos of the flooding on Alban Hill and High St during the recent heavy rain.

13.4 Cllr Hyde suggested that a survey was due for the parish council owned trees. This was agreed and the clerk will look into the costs. ACTION: Clerk

13.5 Cllr Keene gave thanks to Alban Hill Nursery for its contribution towards this year's Christmas tree on The Knoll; to Tony Pilcher, Derek Ferris and team for arranging its installation on the Knoll; and to Tony Pilcher for supplying the electricity to the lights during the festive season.

13.6 Cllr Keene wished everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

14. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 8th January 2013 at the Pavilion commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting ended at 9.20pm

          Pages 1416 to 1418  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018