Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

December 2013

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 3rd December 2013 at Sherington Village Hall, commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: A Denman (Chair), D Hyde, M Northfield, I Collinge, S Cook and J Cook

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk), Cllr Keith McLean (arrived 9.10pm) and two members of the public.

1. RECEIVE AND ACCEPT APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Cllr Ager.

2. RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Cllrs S Cook and J Cook declared an interest in item 11.2.

3. APPROVE MINUTES OF LAST MEETING
TThe minutes of the meeting held on 5th November 2013 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

4. WARD COUNCILLOR'S ITEMS (this item actually took place approx. 9.20pm)

4.1 Cllr McLean is inviting applications to his 2013/14 ward budget for contributions towards parish defibrillators. After a discussion in which concerns were raised that a parish defibrillator may, in an emergency, place too much responsibility on untrained individuals, he advised he would also consider taking applications for contributions towards NHS Community First Response kits. Applications need to be made by 31st January 2014.

4.2 Cllr McLean reported the reduction in council tax support grant next year which may result in parish councils needing to increase their precepts. This item will be on the Parishes Forum agenda on 12th December.

4.3 After a discussion on road deterioration in the village mainly caused by potholes, Cllr McLean said he would request that Highways' inspection of the roads in Sherington be brought forward. ACTION: Cllr McLean

5. TALK FROM NHS COMMUNITY FIRST RESPONDER

Volunteer and Olney resident Mike Hughes gave a brief summary of the NHS Community 1st Response service which is looking for financial support in the form of kits that contain dressings and full first aid equipment, a defibrillator, oxygen cylinder, oxymeter and other essential emergency items. There are currently only two kits for a team of four responders and they cost £3500 each. The voluntary service is activated when someone dials 999 for a life threatening situation, and due to the speed of response offers the best chance of survival in rural areas. It is hoped that contributions from the local parish councils together will make up enough money to fund at least one kit, and if not any donation will be held until there are sufficient funds available. Councillors thanked Mike for coming to the meeting and agreed to formally consider his request at the next meeting.

6. CLERK'S REPORT

6.1 Dog bins. The clerk reported that the dog bins were being cleaned at a cost of £25.

7. FINANCE

7.1 Bank Account balance at 3rd December 2013 £21418.63

7.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

03/12/2013A H Contracts Dog Bins £273.00  
03/12/2013Sherington Village Hall Hall hire £37.00  
03/12/2013Anglian Water Water at pavilion £86.76  
03/12/2013Sports Ground Services Mowing Rec Field £414.00  
03/12/2013SLCC Subscription £76.00  
03/12/2013SCAN magazine Donation £225.00  
03/12/2013St Lauds Church PCC Donation £600.00  
03/12/2013Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker/bookings £100.00 
03/12/2013Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £156.84  
03/12/2013Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £56.00  
03/12/2013R A Denman Electrical repairs £214.94  
03/12/2013Reform Fire Ltd Fire alarm service £60.00  
03/12/2013D C Blunt Gardening Services Mowing/Groundswork £1,398.00  

7.3. Bank signatories and electronic payments. It was agreed to update the bank mandate so that all seven current councillors could be signatories on the account; and also that only two signatures would be required on each cheque. The clerk reported that the government legislation which will allow electronic payment methods to be used in the future was slowly progressing. The clerk also suggested to councillors that purchases of up to £100 could be authorised by the clerk only, this was agreed and a change to standing orders will be made and approved next month. ACTION: Clerk

8. PLANNING APPLICATIONS AND DECISIONS

8.1. Applications. None.

8.2. Decisions. None.

9. SHERINGTON RECREATION GROUND

9.1. Repairs to Pavilion. Cllr Denman reported that he had carried out some improvements to the outside lighting and repairs to loft cabling. He recommended that some circuitry is replaced in the near future; this will be considered at the precept meeting. PBS Consultancy & Design has been appointed to survey the extension to the pavilion in terms of its construction and councillors await the report. The cost of this is £450 which was approved by email before the meeting.

9.2. Pavilion Health and Safety Audit update. The clerk reported that the fire alarm and smoke detectors have been serviced and that the legionella risk assessment is imminent. ACTION: Clerk

9.3. Pavilion management committee's terms of reference.Updated terms of reference have been circulated around councillors and the management committee. The councillors agreed that they were happy to approve the updated document, the clerk will chase for a response from the management committee. ACTION: Clerk

9.4. Management committee report. Cllr Denman reported that he had made adjustments to the storage heater timers and would advise the caretaker accordingly. ACTION: Cllr Denman

10. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

10.1. NECAF Wednesday 4th December 2013 Weston Underwood village hall Cllrs are invited to attend

10.2. 2014/15 Precept meeting This was agreed for Tuesday 21st January 2014 at the pavilion

11. CORRESPONDENCE/NEW CONSULTATIONS

11.1. MKC draft Statement of Community Involvement (ends 15/1/14) It was agreed that a response was not necessary.

11.2. MKC Minerals local plan - Issues and Options consultation (ends 22/1/14) Councillors agreed that a response was necessary and to read the documentation before the next meeting. It was suggested that a better map would assist, clerk to request. ACTION: Clerk, All cllrs

11.3. MKC Taxi Licensing policy 2014-2018 (ends 3/2/14). It was agreed that a response was not necessary.

12.PUBLIC COMMENTS

12.1 A resident raised concerns over the state of the roads in the village due to potholes.

13 COUNCILLORS ITEMS

None

14. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 7th January 2014 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting ended at 9.40 pm

          Pages 1449 to 1451  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018