Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

December 2007

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 4th December 2007 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Peter Burton (Chair), Peter Cook, David Keene and David Hyde

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk), Sam Potts (Cllr for Sherington Ward) and 7 public.


2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST Cllr Hyde declared an interest in the St Lauds Church item.

3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING The minutes of the meeting held on 6th November 2007 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

4. STONE PITS CLOSE Cllrs Keene, Cook and Burton visited Hazeley Wood to view a young woodland which is about to undergo its first thinning project since its creation 16 years ago. It was noted that the trees were all native species and had been planted in rows with space to allow machinery to pass through. Cllr Cook thought there might be practical issues with planting and is in discussions with the Amenities department at MKC to find out what help is available. Current advice is coming from The Parks Trust, the Woodland Trust and the Forestry Commission and includes suggesting digging trial holes at Stone pits, creating a sustainability plan, funding opportunities etc. It was agreed that the parish council should meet informally between meetings to discuss this project further. ACTION: Cllr Keene

5. ANGLIAN WATER UPDATE Following its last letter dated 22nd October 2007 the clerk has found a letter from Anglian Water dated 1996 stating that the ditch behind Smiths Yard is in fact its responsibility and Dave Harper (Area Customer Response Manager) is currently arranging for contractors to obtain costings for clearing the ditch. Cllr Burton is talking to Kevin Whiteside (MKC) re the proposal for forming a grid and pipe work to the end of Water Lane adjacent to Mrs Smith’s property. ACTION: Cllr Burton


6.1 Bus Shelter. Consultation letters are due to go out this week. Providing there are no issues the council can include the expenditure in the 2008/09 precept to be agreed in January and MKC can be given the go ahead to install hard standing and a level access kerb. ACTION: Clerk & Cllr Thomson

6.2 Tree Maintenance. Salcey Arborcare has quoted £180 for a survey. Local arboriculturist Tim Horne has carried out a free survey with recommendations to fell two trees on the Knoll and one at the Village Hall play area along with crown lifting in both areas. Cllr Keene proposed and Cllr Hyde seconded to approve maximum expenditure of £950 but it was agreed to meet with Tim and have a look at the trees in question. It was noted that planning consent would have to be sought for work to the trees in the conservation area.ACTION: Clerk

6.3 Dog Bins. The owner of the land between the church and the High St has requested two new bins, and a new bin on Water Lane has also been suggested along with the relocation of the bin on the corner of Crofts End and High St. Clerk to draw up proposals and costings for the next meeting. ACTION: Clerk & Cllr Thomson

6.4 Street lighting and under grounding. Cllr Hyde reported that McAlpine expects to have finished the current phase of under grounding by 8th December with access issues now resolved. All the new street lights will also be checked. The urban style light opposite Carters Close on Crofts End will have to be disconnected and removed by MKC. ACTION: Clerk

6.5 Kerbing. Ian McGregor has requested priorities for kerbing in the village for the next financial year, Bedford Road, Gun Lane, Crofts End, Church End and Church Road being the options already submitted. Clerk to circulate details to Cllrs for their opinions. ACTION: Clerk


7.1 Caretaker's report. No issues for November have been reported by the caretaker but the council is aware of a window that needs repair. ACTION: Cllr Burton

7.2 Car park and recreation field maintenance. The quote for ongoing necessary maintenance at Perry Lane of £120 per month from March to November 2008 was approved. The new bench on Crofts End has been installed. ACTION: Clerk

7.3 Pavilion refurbishment project. Cllr Burton reported that a decision regarding funding is expected from WREN within two weeks, and regarding the planning application from MKC on 8th January 2008. If successful, quotes for building regulations can then be obtained.

7.4 BMX track extension. It was agreed to arrange a meeting with Philip Snell from MKC to discuss the submitted drawings and get an idea of costs. ACTION: Clerk

8. ST LAUDS CHURCH Cllr Hyde presented the salient points regarding the church’s financial situation. The parish council agreed that it wished the church to thrive in its local community and expressed concern that it is struggling to pay its year on year expenses. It was acknowledged that more public awareness is needed; and agreed to investigate the ways in which the parish council could help. The clerk will investigate how other parish councils have supported their churches. ACTION: Clerk


9.1 Monthly balances. Enterprise Account £27668.59; Treasurer Account £4598.32.

9.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

15/11/2007Raymond Rowan Design Planning application £265.00 101506
04/12/2007Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £232.54 101507
04/12/2007SLCC Clerk's membership £70.00 101508
04/12/2007Sports Ground Services Mowing £405.38 101509
04/12/2007A H Contracts Dog bins £47.19 101510
04/12/2007Raymond Graham Perry Lane maintenance £140.00101511
04/12/2007Raymond Graham New bench Crofts End £580.00 101512
04/12/2007D C Blunt Mowing £969.38 101513
04/12/2007Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £52.50 101514
04/12/2007Sherington Village Hall Hall Hire £33.00 101515
04/12/2007J Dines Perry Lane Caretaker £50.00 101516
04/12/2007Seans Outside Services Knoll and VH fencing repair £500.00 101517
04/12/2007SCAN Magazine Donation £225.00 101518
04/12/2007St Lauds Church Donation £350.00 101519
04/12/2007T Pilcher Donation £25.00 101520

9.3 Expenditure approval. £40 to Raymond Graham to repair the bench on corner of School Lane and Crofts End was approved; £48 for a Christmas tree for the Knoll was approved.ACTION: Clerk


10.1. 07/01890/FUL 26 Gun Lane – ground floor and roof extension. Whilst no objection to the extension to a two storey building in principle, the council felt that the proposal is an overdevelopment of a constrained site and is aware of the neighbours’ objections.

10.2. 07/01991/FUL 29 Carters Close – single storey rear extension . No adverse comments

10.3. Recent planning decisions. The application for 12 Carters Close to build a single storey rear extension has been approved; as has the application to fell several trees at the Manor.

10.4. Petsoe End Wind Farm. A decision is expected from the Development Control Committee on 17th December (meeting starts 7.30pm)


11.1. MKNECAF Wed 5th December 07 Weston Underwood. Cllrs Hyde and Burton to attend if possible.

11.2. TVP Consultative forum Thurs 6th December. Cllr Hyde may attend.

11.3. Parishes Assembly Thurs 13th December. No one is able to attend.

11.4. Precept meeting. A date of Monday 14th January was suggested to decide the 2008/09 budget.


12.1. Swings at Village Hall play area. A letter has been received asking the council to consider replacing one or two of the tyre swings for conventional seats. The clerk will look into the costs. ACTION: Clerk


13.1. The dog bin on Perry Lane has fallen over. ACTION: Clerk

13.2. A query was raised on the passing bays to be built on the approach to End Farm. The clerk confirmed no enforcement notice had yet been served, however Cllr Cook reported the commencement of the bays construction.

13.3. There is a pot hole on Alban Hill going towards Olney, past the Gun Lane turn. ACTION: Clerk

13.4. A resident suggested that the parish council should not be responsible for providing a BMX track for a minority group and should instead encourage use of existing local facilities, even providing transport if necessary.

13.5. A resident expressed concern that the facilities at Perry Lane are not being adequately looked after.

13.6. The Corn Close footpath has a sloped area next to the hand gate which could prove dangerous in bad weather. ACTION: Clerk

13.7. Tony Pilcher expressed warm thanks on behalf of residents to the councillors for all their efforts in 2007.

14. COUNCILLORS ITEMS There were none.

15. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 8th January 2008 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.20 pm

          Pages 1250 to 1252  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018