Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

December 2009

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 1st December 2009 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Peter Burton (Chair), David Hyde, David Keene and Trevor Kirby

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk) and six members of the public

Cllrs Thomson and Cook. The chairman once again sent Peter Cook very best wishes as he embarks upon his next stage of treatment.


The minutes of the meeting held on 3rd November 2009 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.


4.1 Village Hall play area fence. Cllr Kirby reported that he had inspected the fence and found it to be in good order with only the wire cut in a couple of places, and suggested that unless the fence is made higher balls will continue to go over it and youths will continue to get through. It was agreed to mend the wire and monitor the situation. ACTION: Cllr Kirby

4.2 BT “Adopt A Kiosk” scheme. BT has responded that it will take no further action at this time if its offer to sell the kiosk on the Knoll to the parish is not taken up. It was agreed to decline the offer. ACTION: Clerk

4.3 Wind Farm update. The work to construct the wind turbines at Petsoe End has commenced. It was agreed to register an interest in the Community Benefit Fund that will be set up. ACTION: Clerk

4.4 Rain water in bus shelter. Cllr Kirby reported seeing 2 inches of water sitting in the bus shelter on the Knoll following heaving rain. It was agreed to monitor this before taking remedial action. Some wood may also need replacing at the front of the shelter.. ACTION: Cllr Kirby

4.5 Dog Fouling. The clerk reported that someone had been caught in the act not picking their dog’s mess from a verge in School Lane. The police have been notified and are dealing with it. ACTION: Clerk

4.6 Cycle route. Councillors had had another chance to look over the plans submitted by MKC for the proposed cycle lanes through and out of the village. Cllr Hyde to draft a response to MKC querying the gaps and intended timescales ACTION: Cllr Hyde

4.7 Knoll bin. The concrete bin next to the bus shelter on the Knoll has been smashed up. It was agreed to replace it with a similar model asap, clerk to obtain current costs, these cost £160 over 2 years ago. ACTION: Clerk

4.8 Kerbing. Work to install new kerbing on the corner of Field Close and Gun Lane has commenced. Cllr Burton reported that a resident of Gun Lane has raised concerns over the state of the verge outside no.24.

4.9 Post boxes. Further to last month Royal Mail at Newport Pagnell has confirmed that there will be at least two collections per day from each post box in Sherington from Monday 11th December for the festive period. Royal Mail have also agreed that the new post boxes are still not adequate for the volume of mail and will consider replacing with full size models in the new year. ACTION: Clerk


Cllr Burton reported that the business plan and cash projections are in progress; and plans are being drawn up for a planning application to be submitted this month. The Post Office has been in touch with regard to installing a new operation in the premises when possible. ACTION: Cllr Burton


Cllr Keene reported that over 50 people including the school and pre-school turned up in appalling weather on Sunday 22nd November to plant new trees and hedging plants. Sherington Nursery provided a stone plinth containing a plaque to mark the site. Cllr Patrick Martin chairman of BALC and Cllr Sam Potts both attended. Thanks have also gone to Trevor Rivett at Central Networks for diverting the overhead telephone wire and pole in time for the launch. 8000 bulbs have been planted with the remainder having been planted around the village and at the school and pre-school. Next year some informal seating, a stile, litter bins etc are planned and in the spring more publicity as the bulbs come up. Cllr Keene emphasised that this is a long term project that would continue to evolve over time.


7.1 Monthly balances. Enterprise Account £7910.95; Treasurer Account £3457.42

7.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

01/12/2009SLCC Clerk's membership £72.00 101749
01/12/2009D C Blunt Mowing rest of village £776.25 101750
01/12/2009A H Contracts Dog bins £100.63 101751
01/12/2009Sports Ground Services Mowing rec field £276.00 101752
01/12/2009Sherington Village Hall Hall hire £44.00 101753
01/12/2009D C Blunt Perry Lane groundsman + tree work £457.83 101754
01/12/2009Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £330.89 101755
01/12/2009Wendy Austyn Clerk's expenses £48.43 101756
01/12/2009SCAN magazine Donation £225.00 101757
01/12/2009St Laud's church Donation £400.00 101758
01/12/2009Tony Pilcher Donation £25.00 101759
01/12/2009Martin Jeeves Perry Lane booking + caretaker £100.00 101760
01/12/2009E.ON Pavilion electricity £107.78 101761
01/12/2009Alban Hill Nursery ChristmasTtree £50.00 101762
01/12/2009Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £84.00 101763


8.1 09/01819/MKCOD3 Sherington School – single storey front extension. No adverse comments.

8.2 09/01846/FUL 2 End Farm, Water Lane – single storey extension. - No adverse comments.

8.3 Decisions. - The applications from 21 High St and 38 & 40 Water Lane have been approved. The applications from 53 High Street have been withdrawn.

8.4 38 & 40 Water Lane The parish council enquired about the exact intended use of the ancillary room but has not received a specific answer. One resident complained that he is now overlooked by this property and has not been consulted by MKC.

8.5 1 High St - In response to further enquiries it would seem that no reason was asked for or given for the removal of the mulberry tree. MKC has noted the parish council’s comments on this.


9.1. Pavilion management group. The minor refurbishment works are now complete; the storage hut doors were repaired at no cost to the council; a new secretary Tricia Thomas has been appointed to the committee; the new hawthorn bushes have been planted around the car park and the trees in the play area and outside the storage hut have been crown thinned; next year the committee would like more signage at the recreation ground. On behalf of the other councillors Cllr Keene thanked Cllr Burton and the clerk for all their hard work on the extension and refurbishment project.

9.2. Opening ceremony. Cllr Burton reported that over 60 people attended the official launch of the pavilion on Sunday 15th November including Pete Winkelman, Mark Lancaster MP, Cllr Sam Potts, Cllr Patrick Martin chairman of BALC, Shelagh Muir from MKC and Bart Gamber from the MK Community Foundation. It was disappointing that no one from Sherington FC attended but Willen FC held a training session for the Under 10s and Pete Winkelman was delighted to be able to give them some words of encouragement. The refreshments, raffle, speeches and ribbon cutting all went very well. A letter of thanks has gone to Pete Winkelman chairman of MK Dons FC for his support.


10.1. NECAF Wed 2nd December 7.30pm Weston Underwood. Cllr Hyde will attend.

10.2. 2010/11 precept meeting. This was pencilled in for Monday 11th January 2010..




12.1. A resident brought a press article about a community shop in Longborough.

12.2. The council was asked to be aware of the surface water pipes under the car park and in Church Road when drawing up plans for the new shop.

12.3. It was queried whether the Knoll bin is covered under the parish council’s insurance. Also the bin next to the bench in Church Road has no base. Clerk to address. ACTION: Clerk

12.4. Concerns were raised over available “personal accommodation” for anyone working in the new shop.

12.5. A Water Lane resident enquired about missing kerbing outside his house.


13.1. Cllr Kirby reported that he would be taking part in a community event for the elderly on Christmas Day. Information to be circulated.

13.2. Cllr Hyde reported pot holes outside Haynes garage. ACTION: Clerk

13.3. Cllr Hyde suggested that the village hall play area was under resourced and that the parish council could look at purchasing a new climbing frame. ACTION: Clerk

13.4. Cllr Burton announced that Ray and Teddy Barber have now left Sherington, a letter of thanks from the parish council was delivered to them and there is a mention in SCAN magazine.

14. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 5th January 2010 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 9pm.

          Pages 1311 to 1313  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018