Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

February 2014

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 4th February 2014 at Sherington Village Hall, commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs D Hyde (Chair), I Collinge, J Cook and S Cook

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk), Cllr Keith McLean and four members of the public.

Cllrs Ager and Northfield.


The minutes of the meeting held on 7th January 2014 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

4. WARD COUNCILLOR'S ITEMS This item took place after item 11

4.1 Cllr McLean encouraged the parish council to chase for remedy of identified "28 day" highways defects at the end of February 2014.

4.2 Ringway has been awarded the MKC Highways maintenance contract. More information will be available at the next NECAF meeting on 5th March 2014.

4.3 Cllr McLean confirmed he would be awarding £166.66 from his 2013/14 Ward budget to Sherington parish towards the cost of a NHS Community First Response kit. This will be passed onto South Central Ambulance Service via Mike Hughes who came to the parish council meeting in December. ACTION: Clerk

4.4 Cllr McLean informed the meeting that MKC invites requests for new grit/salt bins as it has recently agreed to fund approx. 70 in the 2014/15 budget. Allocation will be on a perceived needs basis and they will be installed before winter 2014/15.

4.5 MKC has also purchased new Speed Indicator Devices (SIDs) which are to be deployed via the Neighbourhood Action Groups (NAGs) and operated by volunteers with support from Thames Valley Police. If Sherington wishes to participate someone needs to attend a NAG meeting and express interest, the next meeting date being 13th March 2014.


5.1 MKC Highways Inspection report. Cllr McLean forwarded information from the recent inspection to the clerk. This stated that Bedford Road, Church Road, Crofts End, Perry Lane and School Lane all had one or two defects requiring attention. It also stated that Bedford Road would be considered in the next year's programme of larger works. ACTION: Clerk


Further to repeated requests for assistance, MKC finally responded and have done some investigative and remedial work on Alban Hill. This reportedly has involved clearing of kerb weirs, tree/hedge clearance, hole digging and unblocking of ditches. More work is to be carried out by MKC and all at the meeting were pleased with the apparent progress being made. Thanks were given to Mr Williams for persistently bringing this issue to the parish council's attention.


7.1 Bank Account balance at 4th February 2014 £17029.41

7.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

04/02/2014B Tofts Replacement pavilion roof tiles £185.00102177
04/02/2014Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £181.56102178
04/02/2014Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £45.50102179
04/02/2014Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker/bookings £110.00102180
04/02/2014SCAS (League of Friends) NHS First Response kit £500.00 102181

7.3. 2014/15 precept. The budget for 2014/15 has been agreed and the parish council will be asking for £21,963 from MKC, being a reduction from last year of 0.14%. ACTION: Clerk

7.4. Approve payment to replace tiles on pavilion roof. It was agreed to pay £185 to replace recently damaged tiles on the roof of the pavilion. It appears that heavy stones and pieces of wood have been thrown onto the roof, causing damage. ACTION: Clerk


8.1. Applications. None.

8.2. Decisions. The application for 1 Park Road has been withdrawn; the applications for 22 Crofts End and 2 End Farm Water Lane have been approved. There was no response to the request for clarification on the Crofts End application and it was agreed to chase for this.


9.1. Pavilion survey and next steps. The clerk reported that Cllr Denman had agreed to contact the flooring contractor and pavilion cleaner but was not present at the meeting so it was not known whether he had. Councillors noted the surveyor's opinion that the situation regarding cracks in the internal walls and damp underneath the floor was not as bad as first feared, and so it was agreed that the next step was to contact Bob Cook and ask for his feedback before deciding on the best course of action. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Denman

9.2. Management committee report. There was no councillor available to give a report.


10.1. Next NECAF Wednesday 5th March 2014


11.1. Proposed solar farm, Newport Road, Emberton A letter asking for comments from the parish council regarding a proposed solar farm, along with details of a public exhibition have been received. The clerk advised the parish council against making any comments that would be construed as an endorsement of the proposals, before a formal planning application is submitted. This was agreed.


12.1 A resident asked how often the new bin on Gun Lane was being emptied; this should be emptied regularly and at the same time as all the other bins in the village.

12.2 Concern was raised that the pothole situation was worsening each year. Cllr McLean suggested that unfortunately the road damage was cumulative.

12.3 It was suggested that now is the ideal time to carry out the intended landscaping around the shop; the clerk will chase Cllr Northfield for progress on this. ACTION: Clerk

12.4 It was suggested that maybe part of St Laud's churchyard could be given over to wild life, as has successfully been done in other church yards. The parish council agreed that this was a matter for the church's management committee.


13.1 Cllr Collinge reported that he had visited the office above the village hall and noted that there are two filing cabinets and one cupboard containing parish council archive material. The metal canister containing, amongst other items, the 1796 Enclosure Map, has been located in the office.

13.2 It was suggested that if the parish council has valuable historical documents in its possession, then proper vault storage costs should be investigated. It was agreed to contact HSBC bank in the first instance. ACTION: Clerk

14. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 4th March 2014 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting ended at 8.50 pm

          Pages 1455 to 1457  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018