Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

February 2004

Minutes of the Meeting held on Tuesday 3rd February 2004 at the School.

PRESENT: Cllr David Keene (Chair), Cllr Peter Cook, Cllr Bill Lewis, Cllr David Hyde, Cllr Bob Finn, Cllr Peter Burton, Cllr Sarah Jackson.


2. DECLARATIONS OF MEMBERS INTERESTS: Cllr Cook declared an interest in Item 7 (Stonepits Close) and Item 8 (Planning Application for Mercers Farm).

3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: : The minutes of the meeting held on 6th January 2004 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chair.


4.1 Multi Activity Area: This has now been installed, although there is some finishing off to complete and the markings to be painted. Contractors have agreed to return. To mark the opening a competition could be organised by the Youth Club. Cllr Hyde proposed and Cllr Burton seconded the motion that 15 be spent on a prize for the event, all agreed. The Councils thanks go to Cllr Burton for his work on this project.

4.2 Village Appraisal: The final copy has now been agreed and will be distributed.

4.3 Village Trees: Milton Keynes Council Planning Department has agreed the application. To remove the tree on the Knoll. Tree surgeon has advised that work will commence in approx two weeks time.

4.4 Perry Lane Recreation Area: A Meeting took place on 21st January, the notes of this have been circulated. A Public Meeting has been arranged for 17th February in the Village Hall. It is hoped that all interested parties will attend. ACTION: Cllr Burton

4.5 Bus Service: A new timetable has been delivered by the Clerk to the Shops in the village. It is understood that there will be further changes to the bus timetable in April 2004.

4.6 Village Repairs: MK Council has advised that the Perry Lane sign has been repaired. Cllr Jackson had joined Mr Chinnery (EMEB) on his inspection of the village. The High Voltage cable into the village is already under ground, and is therefore not the cause of the problems of interruption of power. This week will see a more comprehensive check of all poles in the village. Mr Chinnery to recommend that cables are put underground from Virginia Stores to the sub station in Water Lane. There will however still be poles as these also carry telephone wires. Cllr Hyde requested that EMEB be asked what their general policy is, regarding the undergrounding of unsightly cables. Cllr Jackson advised that the EMEB have a Discovery Bus, which they use to educate children on the dangers of electricity. Details will be passed to the School. Andy McPherson has still not passed to the Clerk the details of the last inspection of the village. Clerk will chase.

4.7 Village Hall Path: This item was discussed under Parish Partnership Grants.

4.8 Thames Valley Police Presentation (Distraction Burglaries): This has been organised for Monday 16th February between 4 and 5pm in the Village Hall. Clerk will put up notices. Item has been put in the Scan. ACTION: Clerk/Cllr Lewis

4.9 Cycle Path Route: The Public Presentation was very well attended and a further route proposed. This is via the by-pass and Winyards track into Gun Lane. The meeting almost unanimously agreed to this route and Richard Duffill (MK Council), will report back to the Parish Council in due course.


5.1 The current balances are 10,936.43 in the Enterprise Account and 628.93 in the Treasurer Account.

5.2 Cheques: It was agreed that the following cheques be signed:

Village Hall Cycle Path Meeting 10.50Cheque 101160
MK Council School Hire 120.00Cheque 101161
J Sharp Clerk's Salary 176.50Cheque 101162

5.3 Football Prices 2003/2004: There was further discussion into the prices that should be charged for the current season. Cllr Keene proposed and Cllr Lewis seconded the motion that, Sherington Football Club should be invoiced for 100 for their two teams. Sherington Veterans 100 and MK Saints 80. All agreed. Further discussion will take place regarding future prices.

5.4 Parish Partnership Grants: It was proposed by Cllr Hyde and seconded by Cllr Jackson that an application be made for a grant towards the Village Hall path.

5.5 Precept 2004/2005: It was proposed by Cllr Lewis and seconded by Cllr Burton that the Precept for the year 2004/2005 be set at 10,500. All agreed.

6. BUS SHELTER REPAIRS: Cllr Lewis advised that there was damage to the roof tiles and mortar on the bus shelter, also that the inside was in dirty condition, with graffiti. The Council are advised that the offending tree branch has been removed and the inside cleaned. Thanks to Mr P Smith and Mr Pepper for carrying out this work. Clerk will have the repairs carried out.

7. STONEPITS CLOSE LICENCE: (Cllr Cook left the meeting at this point). A second draft had been circulated and the contents generally accepted. Clerk will draft the notes for distribution with the licence and circulate before the next meeting. ACTION: Clerk


03/00231 & 00232 Mercers Farm There are no objections to this application

9. PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES: (Cllr Cook returned to the meeting). The continued publication of Minutes was discussed. Cllr Jackson proposed and Cllr Hyde seconded that for the time being the village website continues to be used for this purpose. A vote was taken, 4 in favour, 2 abstentions.


There is an Open Meeting of Thames Valley Police at the Olney Centre on 18th February.

Rural Affairs Committee: Next Meeting to be held at Hanslope on 19th February.


Correspondence from Mr I Collinge regarding the publicity of the Cycle Path meeting and other matters. Councillors are concerned at the contents of this e-mail and will reply in due course.

Gateway Feature: Letter from Milton Keynes Council advising that they would like to put a gateway feature at the entrances to the village, with new village signs and road markings. The Council are asked to choose which colours they would like to see this in. It was agreed by all that a green base with white lettering was appropriate.

Anglian Water: Reply to our letter asking whether they would like to attend a meeting a explain the current situation (in particular to Water Lane). They do not think this is necessary and have made various comments about future work which are not altogether clear. Cllr Keene will speak to Anglian Water and attempt to clarify. ACTION: Cllr Keene

Best Value Review Working Group: This Council will make no nomination.

Distribution of MKC Parish Newsletter: Letter asking whether Councillors would like individual copies sent - not required.


Perry Lane Recreation Area: Mr Tofts has great concerns about the amount of dog dirt, in and around the swings and playing field. More signs will be put up. The pavilion is in poor condition. The Parish Council do intend to give this area future attention.

Speed Activated Devices: Mr Hulston asked whether these are to be permanent fixtures. Council advised that these are only used for very short periods as the effect reduces if left up too long. They are put up as part of the Speedcheck Campaign (also signs).

Chestnut Trees: Mr Ferris asked whether the problem had been positively identified as he had seen an article on Sudden Oak Death Disease which can effect chestnuts. Clerk will speak to Tree Surgeons and Milton Keynes Council again about this. ACTION: Clerk


Village Hall for Parish Council Meetings: Cllr Cook had been asked to investigate the availability and reported that the 1st Tuesday of each month was free (apart from Knitting Group). This will be looked into further.

Verge Outside Manor Farm: Cllr Hyde advised that this was being worn away, possibly by heavy vehicles turning.

14. DATE OF NEXT MEETING: The next meeting will be held on 2nd March 2004 in the School at 7.30pm.

The Meeting closed at 9.45pm

Pages 1066 to 1068            

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018