Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

February 2006

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 7th February 2006 in the Village Hall, Sherington commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: : Cllrs David Hyde (Chair), Bill Lewis (Vice Chair), Peter Cook, Peter Burton, Bob Finn and David Keene

ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk), Lara Bruce (Acting Clerk) and 6 public.

The Chairman welcomed Lara Bruce as Acting Clerk who will take over from Wendy Austyn during her period of maternity leave.

1. APOLOGIES Cllr Herbert

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST Cllr Burton declared an interest in the Sherington Residents Management Group item and Cllr Cook declared an interest in the Smiths Yard item.

3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING The minutes of the meeting held on 3rd January 2006 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

4. MATTERS ARISING

4.1. Under grounding and street lighting in village.

  4.1.1. Future Works The Chairman met with Alec Chinnery (CN HQ) and Lorraine Calcott (MKC) on 18 January. Alec confirmed that the under grounding of the cables in the High Street and Crofts End would commence in the third quarter of this year. School Lane, Park Road and Gun Lane would be in 2007 and it was unlikely that Church Road would start before 2008. There is a possibility that BT and MKC will be offered ownership of the poles. Lorraine is working on a design for the new lights. We may be offered new posts in keeping with the village, but she would need to discuss this with John Peachy at MKC. We may also be able to have “whiter” lights rather than the orange we have at present. There have been complaints in the past over dark spots in the village. The Chairman was unsure regarding the issue of funding if the number of lights were increased. This would need to be confirmed by Lorraine in her proposal. ACTION: Clerk to chase progress.

  4.1.2. Water Lane CN met with MKC on Monday 6th February, a camera will be sent into the storm drain culvert within the next fortnight to check the state of repair following CN works. Work is now drawing to a close. ACTION: Clerk to chase.

4.2 Ditch behind Smiths Yard ownership issue. Sheila Baker at MKC has now moved department and the new contact appears to have lost the drawing done by Cllr Cook. It was suggested that if no progress is made with MKC then we might be able to send Cllr Cook’s drawing to the Land Registry directly. ACTION: Clerk to progress

4.3 Village Hall footpath. Completed drawings have now been received from the architect. Three options were given for the surface of the footpath. There was concern over the cost of the surface that had been agreed with the Village Hall Trustees. It was agreed that the drawings should be passed to the Trustees with a view to firstly agreeing the design and then the surface. At this point local contractors could be contacted for more competitive quotes. ACTION: Clerk to arrange.

5. VILLAGE REPAIRS

5.1. Gas pipeline - Transco/Murphy repairs. The clerk has spoken to Nick Brown who confirmed that a letter has now been sent to Transco. A copy is to be forwarded to the clerk. Nick is also liaising with Alex Miller at MKC to arrange for the triangle at Gun Lane to be mown and the topsoil inspected. Nick will attend the meeting in March to update the council on progress to date. ACTION: Clerk to chase

5.2 Anglian Water – Water Lane repairs. Confirmation was received from AW that they would sleeve the foul sewer. The contractor has the materials but no start date has been set. It is unlikely that this will take place until CN’s work is complete. There is potentially another issue in Water Lane concerning the repair of a broken culvert. This will need to be resolved before the sleeving can be done. ACTION: Clerk to chase

5.3 Pavilion shutters. Quote now received from John Risby. It was agreed that more quotes would be sought. ACTION: Clerk to arrange

5.4 Bus Shelter. . The work has not yet been done. Barry Tofts is likely to do it this week. ACTION: Clerk to chase

5.5 High Street Ditches. Alex Miller (MKC) confirmed that the ditches would be cleared and had passed the matter to Andy McPherson. The ownership of the ditch opposite Manor Farm would also be investigated and, if appropriate, would also be cleared. ACTION: Clerk to chase.

6. PARISH COUNCIL STANDING ORDERS

The Clerk has issued revised standing orders prior to the meeting and there appeared to be no points for discussion. These will be adopted at the next meeting.

7. SHERINGTON RESIDENTS MANAGEMENT GROUP

7.1 Perry Lane Sports Ground. New security gates now fitted together with lock and chain.

7.2 Works programme. Purchase orders now made for new play equipment, safety matting, BMX track, fencing and gate plus the Nature Study / Environment Area. The new fencing around the play area cannot be installed until the adjoining hedge has been trimmed. Working towards all installations completed by end of first week in March. ACTION: Cllr Cook

7.3 Waste bins. The cost of concrete bins was felt to be excessive. Alternatives should be investigated. ACTION: Clerk to arrange

7.4 Insurance. MKC has been contacted regarding the new play area and BMX track to establish whether it will be covered by the existing insurance and maintenance programme. ACTION: Clerk to chase

7.5 Sherington Football Club. The club has offered £250 for the 2005/06 season. The council has agreed this and payment needs to be arranged as soon as possible. ACTION: Clerk to chase

7.6 Funding. Quotes have been sent to Richard Townsend (Parish Liaison) who has accepted them and the 50% Parish Partnership monies are on their way.

7.7 Open Day. It was agreed that an Open Day would be held to mark the opening of the new facilities. This would be done at an appropriate point when the weather is warmer.

7.8 Progress to date. Cllr Keene thanked Cllr Burton for his efforts and achievements with the new Perry Lane facilities to date.

8. PERRY LANE MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

Geoffery Charles, a resident of Perry Lane, has been appointed Chairman of the committee and will take on the day-to-day management of facilities at Perry Lane. He will hold the first meeting at the Village Hall at 8pm on Tuesday 21 February. He will be speaking to the School and Youth Club to see if facilities can be extended to include smaller sports such as rounders and volleyball in order to utilise the area fully. The Chairman thanked Geoffery for taking on the role and offered him the support of the Council.

9. CYCLE PATH

A letter was sent to Graham Mabbutt and copied in to Richard Duffill outlining the Council’s concern over the apparent lack of progress, the need to understand the complete route through to Newport Pagnell and an estimate of the final date of completion. Graham has suggested that Kevin Whiteside (Chief Highways and Transport Engineer) attend the next meeting, the council is in agreement only if he is able to answer the Council’s queries. ACTION: Clerk to contact Graham Mabbutt

10. FINANCE

10.1 Monthly balances. Enterprise Account £10,510.53; Treasurer Account £1,648.93. This reflected the receipt of the £2,500 community parking fund.

10.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

07/02/06A H Contracts Dog Bins £93.06 101308
07/02/06Brinnick Locksmiths Padlock & keys pavilion £41.49 101309
07/02/06J W Cook & Son Gates Perry Lane car park £480.58 101310
07/02/06W. Austyn Clerk's Expenses £9.69 101311
07/02/06W. Austyn Clerk's Salary £339.57 101312
07/02/06N Beal Cleaning £122.03 101313

10.3 Precept 2006/7. The councillors agreed on a precept of £18,112.50.

10.4 Clerk's Salary. In view of the excellent duties carried out by the Clerk it was agreed that this would be acknowledged by increasing her SCP to 18 with effect from the anniversary of when she started. Therefore, this increase would be backdated to November 2005. The councillors approved this. In addition, it was also agreed that during the Clerk’s maternity leave, the Acting Clerk would be paid at SCP 15. During the month of February both clerks would be paid to ensure continuity. The Acting Clerk would take charge with effect from the March meeting. The councillors approved this.

10.5 Parish Partnership grants 2006/07. The application for this needs to be made by 10th March. Suggestions included the goalposts and entrance signage at Perry Lane and also the village plan at The Knoll. Councillors must liaise over other possible applications before the next meeting. ACTION: Cllrs

11. TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT

Alan Sims had observed an officer using a speed gun opposite the bus shelter. ACTION: Bill Lewis to contact PC Mark Poulton to find out the results.

12. PLANNING

12.1. Planning applications - none to consider

12.2. Recent planning decisions – the applications 05/01881/LBC and 05/01882/LBC for Arbour House, Church Road and 05/01915/TCA St Lauds Church have all been granted.

12.3. Shooting ground - it was noted that a revised application for bunding around the shooting ground (including a noise attenuation report) was in circulation. This would be considered at the next meeting. It was likely that the councillors would make a site visit as part of its consideration.

13. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

13.1. Village Hall office tidy up This is ongoing and the councillors will liaise as necessary with The Historical Society. ACTION: Cllrs

13.2. MMKNECAF 22nd March at Weston Underwood It was agreed that the Chairman would attend this.

13.3. Parish Assembly 16th March at MKC It would be agreed at the next meeting which councillor(s) would attend.

14. CORRESPONDENCE

14.1. MK Parish Liaison. The Clerk has been asked to complete a questionnaire to explain why the Council do not wish to become a Quality Parish Council at this time. Reasons included the need for an election of 80% of the councillors and the extensive training requirements for the Clerk. The council noted that there are, however, some benefits such as additional funding possibilities. ACTION: Clerk to complete

14.2. Thames Valley Police questionnaire. This is currently in circulation. ACTION: Bill Lewis to complete if the deadline has not been passed.

14.3. Event litter management. This facility may be useful for the Summer Prom. ACTION: Clerk to liaise.

14.4. Garden design and property maintenance. A letter had been received from a resident in Crofts End offering asking for their services to be considered for future work.

15. PUBLIC COMMENTS

15.1. A resident enquired as to whether the application for bunding at the shooting ground would mean increased usage of the ground.

15.2. Tony Pilcher believed that the lighting in Sherington fell under the regulations governing footpaths rather than highways. ACTION: Clerk to raise with Lorraine Calcott

15.3. A letter had been received from Tony Pilcher suggesting an alternative way of receiving electricity on The Knoll. ACTION: Clerk to put on March agenda

15.4. Several comments were received about dogs and the associated mess. ACTION: Cllr Lewis to put a note in SCAN

15.5. A resident enquired as to whether CN would make good private driveways when under grounding began elsewhere in the village. The Chair said it was up to individual householders to ensure this was done, but confirmed that the Council were likely to be taking before and after photographs.

15.6. It was noted that there had been a break in and theft from a property in the village. It was felt that villagers should be encouraged to dispose of boxes from new televisions, pc’s etc more discreetly. ACTION: Cllr Lewis to put a note in SCAN

15.7. Tony Pilcher thanked Wendy Austyn for her work as Clerk.

16. COUNCILLORS ITEMS

None.

17. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 7th March 2006 in the Village Hall at 7.30pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.14pm.

          Pages 1162 to 1165  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018