Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

January 2010

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 5th January 2010 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Peter Burton (Chair), David Hyde, David Keene, Ian Thomson and Trevor Kirby

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk) and four members of the public

Cllr Cook. Cllr Burton extended continuing good wishes to Cllr Cook for a satisfactory recovery over the forthcoming weeks.


The minutes of the meeting held on 1st December 2009 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.


4.1 Wind Farm Community Benefit Fund. The Clerk reported that the council’s interest in this fund has been registered. Apparently the committee who will administer the fund is still being established and after that the criteria for awarding grants will be set. It is likely that Cllr Sam Potts will be on the committee and it was agreed that he could look after Sherington’s interests until the time comes for an application to be submitted.

4.2 Perry Lane Play Area fencing. The railings need some maintenance and the council has received a quote of £300 to repair them. MKC has indicated it might be able to repair them after 31st March but no firm promises so the council agreed to spend the money now. ACTION: Cllr Thomson

4.3 Replacement bin on Knoll. MKC has quoted £116 for a new concrete bin plus £40 per half hour to install. It was agreed to approve this expenditure. ACTION: Clerk

4.4 Larch trees on Carters Close green. The two dead and dying larch trees have been removed. Cllr Hyde will have a look at the area to see if a replacement tree is warranted. Cllr Kirby urged the council not to plant too many new trees in one place to allow the existing trees to flourish. ACTION: Cllr Hyde

4.5 Salt Bin. A few residents have been asking for a bin that MKC could fill with salt for residents to spread over footpaths as required. The clerk is investigating this. ACTION: Clerk

4.6 Proposed Parking on Footways and Verges Order. MKC has announced its intention to create an Order which prohibits any vehicle (with a few exceptions) from parking on any pavements or verges that are part of the public highway.


Cllr Burton reported that he had met with the chairman of the village hall trustees to discuss the new village shop proposals and a formal response was still awaited although concerns re parking and increased numbers of vehicles have been raised. The planning application is to be submitted this week and the £502.50 fee for this was approved by the council. A letter outlining the proposals will be delivered to the adjacent residents within a week. The village hall is provisionally booked for another village meeting on Saturday 20th March 10.30am and a representative from the Plunkett Foundation will attend. Philippa Newey from the Post Office is meeting with the chairman to talk about the possibility of opening a new counter within the new shop. ACTION: Cllr Burton


6.1 Monthly Balances Enterprise Account £7083.17; Treasurer Account £1987.17

6.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

05/01/2010Anglian Water Services Ltd Pavilion water £48.44 101764
05/01/2010A H Contracts Dog bins £80.50 101765
05/01/2010Lune Architects Ltd Drawings and building regs fee £1,144.37 101766
05/01/2010Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £182.23 101767
05/01/2010Wendy Austyn Clerk's expenses £17.78 101768
05/01/2010Martin Jeeves Perry Lane booking + caretaker £100.00 101769
05/01/2010Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £45.50 101770


7.1 09/02081/FUL and 09/02082/LBC 53 High St – conversion of existing barns into single dwelling and erection of gateway building including garage and storage (resubmission). No adverse comments.

7.2 09/02287/TCA The White Hart – intention to crown thin horse chestnut tree. - No adverse comments.

7.3 Decisions. - The application from Sherington School has been approved.


8.1. Pavilion management group. Cllr Thomson reported that the cleaner will be taking appropriate measures within the changing room showers to prevent the spread of Legionnaires Disease as requested by the Football Association. The pitch would be appear to have been re-spiked recently; the clerk is enquiring with MKC as to what further measures to maintain the pitch will be needed before year end, and also the likely costs next year. Cllr Thomson will ask the football clubs to take care when erecting/removing the nets from the goal posts as the new hooks are being broken off. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Thomson


9.1. 2010/11 precept meeting. This was confirmed for Monday 11th January 8pm at Cllr Keene’s house.


10.1. The parish council has been made aware of concerns raised about levels of noise at the White Hart pub.


11.1. A resident raised concerns about a planning application for Church Farm. This will be on the February agenda.

11.2. Tony Pilcher thanked the parish council on behalf of the village for its hard work in 2009 and wished it every success in 2010.

11.3. There have been several incidences of vandalism in the village recently including the damage caused to bins, a hen house, trees and gravestones. It was agreed to ensure the police are aware of these issues. ACTION: Clerk


12.1. Cllr Burton thanked Alan Sims for his contribution to the community over the years and wished him well for the future.

12.2. Cllr Burton thanked Tony Pilcher and his team for erecting, decorating and dismantling the Christmas Tree on the Knoll.

12.3. Cllr Burton asked the council whether the idea of having a permanent Christmas Tree on the Knoll had any merit. It was agreed that the idea did have merit but to continue purchasing a temporary tree that could be centrally placed each year was preferred.

12.4. Cllr Hyde suggested that a dog bin may be needed on Carters Close as the litter bin close to his house is being regularly used as one.

13. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 2nd February 2010 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.35pm

          Pages 1321 to 1323  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018