Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

January 2013

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 8th January 2013 at Sherington Pavilion, commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs D Keene (Chair), M Northfield and I Collinge

ALSO ATTENDING:Wendy Austyn (Clerk), Cllr K McLean (Sherington Ward) and Andrew Jackman (MKC Highways officer) with no other members of the public

Cllrs Hyde and Ager.

Cllr Northfield declared an interest in items 5 and 8.1.

The minutes of the meeting held on 4th December 2012 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

Andrew Jackman from MKC Highways attended the meeting and made the following comments and suggestions:
1) Reported increase of HGV traffic at Sherington Bridge. This B road is a classified diversion route due to the weight restrictions in Newport Pagnell and therefore 9000 vehicles on average per day could be expected, and of those, 5% HGVs would not be considered unusual. The recent traffic counts carried out by Richard Duffill's team, mostly between 6 am and 7am reported only a tiny fraction of this amount e.g. just one HGV in an hour. The data from the count using cables across the road is as yet unavailable from the local developer who commissioned it. Andrew also reported that the bridge itself has been inspected within the last two years with no strength issues found. With no further evidence to support the claim, parish councillors thereby agreed that they had done everything possible to investigate this issue and could go no further with it.
2) Speeding. Andrew reported that if the current 30mph signs are moved outwards to slow traffic coming in to the village they have to be accompanied by extra street lighting if not already present, at a cost of approximately £2k per light. A 40mph zone requires a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) at approx. cost of £10k plus signage of £2-3k per road where this is carried out. Reduced speed zones also have to be a certain minimum distance in length.
3) Parking on pavements/verges/narrow roads restricting access. This would be a low priority for MKC Highways and they are reluctant to get involved out of normal working hours due to staff security issues. Double yellow lines would require a TRO and signage, whatever distance covered. There is no obligation to provide residents' parking. Some parishes have opted to have "grasscrete" (a concrete "honeycomb" that allows grass to grow through) installed on wide verges to provide extra parking
4) New Highways Capital scheme. A new scheme is being introduced whereby parishes can submit their traffic and parking issues for the Highways department to look at possible solutions and allocate funding. The next deadlines for this scheme are February and August 2013.
The chairman thanked Andrew for his advice and information.

Cllr Keene reported that a resolution is imminent; both he and Cllr Northfield are to ensure this matter is closed by the next meeting . ACTION: Cllrs Northfield & Keene


6.1 MKC Parish Community Safety Fund. The suggestion of applying to this fund for additional lighting at the recreation ground car park was raised and will be discussed further at the precept meeting.

6.2 Ash Dieback update - Food and Environment Research Agency (FERA). The clerk reported that FERA had contacted the parish council to notify that a representative will be visiting Stonepits Copse woodland in the near future to inspect the 30 ash trees supplied by Acorn Nurseries in April 2009. It has been confirmed that the ash trees came from an infected source.

6.3 Neighbourhood Services walkabout update. Heather Baker has provided a spread sheet of the issues reported on her summer walkabout with Cllr Hyde. It shows that while some issues are dealt with quickly, others are left with no available date for resolution.

6.4 Councillor vacancy. Cllr Green has resigned as a councillor, just after the agenda was posted. The vacancy will be formally advertised with a deadline of 29th January 2013, after which the parish council can co-opt. It was agreed to place a note in SCAN. ACTION: Clerk


7.1 Bank Account balance at 8th January 2013 £16587.91

7.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

08/01/2013Broxap Ltd Benches for recreation ground £867.60 102067
08/01/2013E.On Electricity for pavilion £164.34 102068
08/01/2013H M R & C Clerk's PAYE £91.45 102069
08/01/2013Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £119.29 102070
08/01/2013Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker and bookings £107.95 102071
08/01/2013Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £42.00 102072
08/01/2013Denman & Son Electrical Repair pavilion heater £60.00 102073

7.3 Costs to carry out tree survey. The clerk invited quotes from three contractors, one of whom did not reply. However 3 quotes were provided from two contractors - £49, £185 and £320. Oakland Tree Services was awarded the work for a cost of £49 to survey the trees and shrubs at the Village Hall play area and The Knoll. ACTION: Clerk


8.1. 12/02525/FUL 1 End Farm, Water Lane - Conversion of garage to accommodation There were no adverse comments.

8.2. Decisions. The applications for Barn in Shoulder of Mutton Field, Gun Lane and 53 High St have been permitted.


9.1. Pavilion management group. The clerk reported that a more favourable quote has been received for both "trim trail" and "moving parts" adult fitness equipment and that she has asked Phil Snell from MKC if either will be covered under MKC's inspection and maintenance programme. The management group will make its final decision on what to purchase at its meeting on Thursday 10th January and installation should take place soon thereafter. ACTION: Clerk


10.1. Report from NECAF 5th December. Cllr Hyde sent a report in his absence. Reports from MKS officers were received regarding the 2013/14 Budget, Superfast Broadband rollout and Neighbourhood Management; as well as a presentation from Martin Goff on securing the future of small rural schools (see also item 11). The next NECAF meeting will be on 7th March at Sherington pavilion.


11.1. MKC consultant Martin Goff was at the NECAF meeting discussing his assignment to make recommendations on the best strategy to secure the future educational and financial viability of small rural schools. Nigel Anderson the vice chairman of Sherington and St Andrews Schools partnership has also written to the parish council. The parish council agreed to affirm its support for Sherington School as a vitally important feature of the village's social and community life. ACTION: Clerk


12.1 Cllr McLean reported that repairs to the A509 between the Chicheley roundabout and Sherington turn were due to take place that week.

12.2 Cllr McLean reported that he has still not heard from the Youth Club regarding a contribution from his discretionary spend, and that this money will be clawed back if not used. ACTION: Clerk

12.3 Cllr McLean reported that the NAG is still looking at implementing a SID scheme in the parishes who wish to take part and contribute to the costs involved.


13.1 Cllr Collinge reported that the results from the 2011 Census for Sherington Parish are due for release on 30th January; it was agreed to place this on the next agenda. ACTION: Cllr Collinge

13.2 Cllr Keene requested that the issue of village flooding be placed on the next agenda ACTION: Clerk

14. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 5th February 2013 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting ended at 9.30pm

          Pages 1419 to 1421  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018