Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

January 2014

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 7th January 2014 at Sherington Village Hall, commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs J Ager (Chair), D Hyde, M Northfield, I Collinge and S Cook

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk), Cllr Keith McLean and two members of the public.

Cllrs Denman and J Cook.

Cllr S Cook declared an interest in item 11.1.

The minutes of the meeting held on 3rd December 2013 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

4. WARD COUNCILLOR'S ITEMS This item took place after item 10

4.1 Cllr McLean reminded councillors about applications to his 2013/14 ward budget. ACTION: Clerk

4.2 Cllr McLean has requested that the annual Highways inspection is brought forward to January, and a report should be available by the end of the month. He also reported that as at 31st December 2013 there were no road defects in Sherington that were at or beyond intervention level but some were getting close.

4.3 The Olney to Newport Pagnell taxi service is reported to be working very well. The owners are being encouraged to publicise it more.

4.4 Cllr McLean informed the meeting that Transport, including parking, is now within his remit that also includes Central Services, Property, Accommodation and the Community Asset Transfer Program.


5.1 Christmas Tree on Knoll. The clerk thanked Alban Hill Nursery for their contribution towards this year's Christmas Tree, to Tony Pilcher for supplying electricity to the lights and to the team who arranged the tree's collection, installation and decoration. ACTION: Clerk


6.1 Bank Account balance at 7th January 2014 £17993.56

6.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

07/01/2014Alban Hill Nurseries Contribution to Xmas Tree £40.00102168
07/01/2014Nexus Cleaning Supplies Pavilion supplies £93.74102169
07/01/2014PSB Consultancy & Design Ltd Survey on pavilion £540.00 102170
07/01/2014E.ON Electricity for pavilion £356.00102171
07/01/2014HMRC Clerk's PAYE £35.21102172
07/01/2014Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £165.08102173
07/01/2014Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker/bookings £100.00102174
07/01/2014Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £63.00102175
07/01/2014R A Denman Electrical repairs £86.97 102176

6.3. Section 137 request - NHS Community First Responder. Further to last month's talk from Mike Hughes it was agreed to pledge £500 towards a Community First Response kit. This would be paid over when the full cost of a kit has been donated or pledged. ACTION: Clerk

6.4. Application to Cllr McLean's 2013/14 ward budget. It was agreed to apply for £100 towards an NHS Community First Response kit to add to the parish council's own pledge. ACTION: Clerk

7. STANDING ORDERS Further to last month it was agreed that the wording regarding the clerk's authority to approve expenditure up to £100 should include "such items should be confined to one-off items of council expenditure and items relating to the administrative function of the council". It was also agreed to review the wording regarding the schedule of parish council meetings and additional meetings. ACTION: Clerk


8.1. 13/02331/FUL Land at Hollington Wood, Emberton - Erection of wind turbine with maximum tip height of 46m. Councillors objected to the proposals on the grounds of 1) the visual impact the turbine would have in a Conservation Area; 2) setting a precedent for future applications for wind turbines; and 3) a wind turbine of this scale would seem to be "overkill" for the usage purposes as stated by the applicant.

8.2. 13/02419/FUL & 13/02420/LBC 22 Crofts End - Internal alterations to convert utility room to dining room plus listed building consent (retrospective). Councillors supported returning the front room of the house to a design that is more in keeping with a listed building; however clarification is sought as to why this application is labelled "retrospective". This term is usually used if the planned work has already been carried out, and in this case the wc is still within the utility/dining room and has not yet been moved to the proposed location off the hall under the stairs. ACTION: Clerk

8.3. 13/02533/TCA 1 Park Road - Notification of intention to reduce crown of 1 x Ash tree by 2-3m & reduce crown of 1 x Silver Birch tree by 2-3m. Councillors had no adverse comments.

8.4. 13/02587/TCA Water Lane Farm - Notification of intent to fell and treat stump of 1 x Apple tree and 1 x Hazel tree. Councillors agreed they would like the application to be revised or resubmitted, as there is no clear indication of the impact or benefit of removing the two trees as proposed.

8.5. Decisions. None.


9.1. Pavilion survey. The clerk reported that the survey has been carried out and the report received which is currently being reviewed. Peter Burton who was chairman of the parish council when the extension was built has been asked for his feedback; and Cllr Hyde reported that there were a couple of inaccuracies. The clerk will contact the surveyor with a view to receiving an amended report in due course. The clerk also reported that a quote for £487 has been received to repair and replace the ridge tiles and gutters. This was approved on the condition that the whole of the pavilion was included and not just the extension, Cllr Ager will confirm. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Ager

9.2. Pavilion management committee's terms of reference. The management committee has not yet met, so this item was deferred to the February meeting.

9.3. Shelters by side of sports pitch. Cllr Collinge reported that the two shelters on the recreation ground originally intended as part of a nature study area were in a poor state and at the point at which a decision needs to be made about their future. It was agreed to refer this to the management committee in the first instance. The picnic bench from the play area has been moved to the shelter area and partly damaged, the clerk will contact MKC to move and repair/replace, then fix to the ground to prevent removal. ACTION: Cllr Ager, Clerk

9.4. Management committee report. The clerk reported that the legionella risk assessment and inspection has been completed with an all-clear result. The report for future testing is now awaited. Cllr Collinge reported potholes in the gravel car park, and it was recalled that there is a pile of large gravel in one corner that can be used to fill them in. ACTION: Clerk


10.1. NECAF Wednesday 4th December 2013 Weston Underwood village hall There was no report from this meeting

10.2. 2014/15 Precept meeting This was changed to Wednesday 22nd January 2014 8pm at the pavilion


11.1. MKC Minerals local plan - Issues and Options consultation (ends 22/1/14) A better map of the area local to Sherington had been circulated. It was agreed for Cllr Northfield to draft a response from the parish council which will be circulated for comments before the deadline. The clerk warned that if councillors disagreed with Cllr Northfield's comments then there would be no joint response made. ACTION: Clerk, All Cllrs

11.2. MKC Schools Admissions policy 2015 (ends 7/2/14). Responses to the proposed changes were agreed at the meeting (details available upon request to the clerk) ACTION: Clerk


12.1 A resident reported a large pothole on Knoll Close.

12.2 Concern was raised that the land around the shop is looking increasingly untidy; Cllr Northfield will speak to the shop owners. ACTION: Cllr Northfield

12.3 The issue of rain water coming off fields and coursing down Alban Hill and Gun Lane was raised again. The clerk will once again contact MKC and ask for an urgent site visit; Cllr Collinge will meet with Mr Williams and together plot the location of the ditches and issues concerned onto a mapping system to assist remedial effort. Clerk to provide details of field ownership to Cllr Collinge. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Collinge


13.1 Cllr Northfield has received favourable feedback and gave thanks to Cllr Collinge for his work on the village website

13.2 Cllr Hyde reported that following recent heavy rain the paths alongside the pavilion were under water.

13.3 Cllr Collinge reported that he is preparing a database of parish council associated land areas and assets and plotting them onto the mapping system which all councillors can access. It was noted that there may be useful archive information in the office above the village hall.

14. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 4th February 2014 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting ended at 9.40 pm

          Pages 1452 to 1454  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018