Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

January 2008

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 8th January 2008 in Sherington School commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Peter Burton (Chair), Peter Cook, David Keene, David Wright, Ian Thomson and David Hyde

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk) and 7 public.


2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST Cllr Cook declared an interest in item 9.2 and Cllr Hyde declared an interest in item 9.3.

3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING The minutes of the meeting held on 4th December 2007 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman

4. PARISH PLAN UPDATE Cllr Wright presented the initial framework and introduction for the new Parish Plan. However based on the recent discussions reference the Local Development Framework and further research, it was agreed that consultative advice should be sought from MKC. Cllr Wright will invite Bob Wilson from MKC to discuss the way forward for Sherington in conjunction with MKC’s own Local Development Framework strategy . ACTION: Cllr Wright

5. ANGLIAN WATER UPDATE Cllr Cook reported that Anglian Water has been in touch regarding clearing the ditch; this is likely to take place in the Spring. Mark Bennett MKC has confirmed that a scheme and costings to prevent flooding which includes resurfacing the road outside 43 Water Lane has been submitted, and if successful work is likely to take place late Spring/Summer.


6.1 Bus Shelter. One resident provided a response to the consultation letter, giving comments about the proposed location, to which the clerk has already responded; and about youths hanging around the shelter - the council agreed that it could only keep an eye on this. Although the final design of shelter has still to be decided, Cllr Wright proposed and Cllr Keene seconded the proposal to install the shelter. ACTION: Clerk

6.2 Tree Maintenance. A meeting with Tim Horne to discuss intended work to trees on the Knoll and Village Hall play area has been arranged for 10th January 9.30am. Cllrs Thomson, Hyde and Wright will attend, and clerk to follow up.ACTION: Clerk, Cllrs Hyde, Thomson & Wright

6.3 Street lighting and under grounding. Bob Semple from McAlpine has reported that the under grounding is now complete and it will look at the two street lights that are not working when the teams come back to remove redundant poles and cables, this is hoped to be mid February. McAlpine will contact BT as some of the remaining poles need replacing and the clerk also awaits specific BT contact details. MKC has agreed to disconnect and remove the urban style light opposite Carters Close on Crofts End. ACTION: Clerk

6.4 Pre-school playhouse. The clerk met with Phil Snell from MKC who agreed the old play house needs replacing and suggested locating a new one in a more central position in the pre-school area. Phil also agreed to assist with laying new safety surfacing and removing the old playhouse. Clerk to submit application to MKC Play Area Improvement scheme for matched funding; the pre-school has also agreed to contribute. ACTION: Clerk

6.5 Swings at VH play area. MKC has agreed to swap two of the tyre swings for conventional seat swings. ACTION: Clerk

6.6 Car parking outside shop. Alan Sims has enquired as to whether designated parking spaces can be marked in the lay-by outside the shop. This has been forwarded to MKC; the clerk will also suggest an on-site meeting. ACTION: Clerk


7.1 Caretaker's report. No items reported for December

7.2 Pavilion refurbishment project. Cllr Burton reported that WREN has offered funding of £70,000 towards the pavilion project. A letter has been sent to the Football Foundation enquiring about further possible funding and a meeting has been set up with Community Liaison to explore other ideas. The decision from MKC Planning is expected any day, and then building regulation approval can be sought. ACTION: Clerk & Cllr Burton


8.1 Monthly balances. Enterprise Account £27214.99; Treasurer Account £1653.33.

8.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

08/01/2008E.ON Pavilion electricity £42.82 101521
08/01/2008Andec Solutions Spray pitch marker £564.00101522
08/01/2008Chicheley Farms Ltd Christmas tree on Knoll £265.00 101523
08/01/2008A H Contracts Dog bins £47.19 101524
08/01/2008Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £206.28 101525
08/01/2008Wendy Austyn Clerk's expenses £16.47 101526
08/01/2008Shane Lea Perry Lane caretaker £50.00 101527
08/01/2008Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £56.00 101528

8.3 Village Greens book. £17 to purchase The Open Spaces Society “Getting Greens Registered” book was proposed by Cllr Keene, seconded by Cllr Thomson and approved. ACTION: Clerk

8.4 Perry Lane pitch mowing. It was agreed to continue using Sports Ground Services for mowing at Perry Lane. ACTION: Clerk


9.1. 07/02003/LBC and 07/02004/FUL Harriets End – single storey extension and internal alterations . Cllrs had no adverse comments.

9.2. 07/02129/FUL Manor Farm – new storage building. - no adverse comments

9.3. 07/02252/FUL 32 Carters Close – single storey extension. - no adverse comments

9.4. Recent planning decisions. The application for 29 Carters Close to build a single storey rear extension has been approved.

9.5. Petsoe End Wind Farm. This has been approved by MKC, legal challenges are expected.


10.1. MKNECAF 5th December 07. Cllr Hyde attended. It was implied at this meeting that Sherington parish council has approved the cycle route into the village which is not the case, it was also noted that work on Alban Hill should commence in the new financial year..

10.2. Precept meeting. Tuesday 15th January was confirmed, 8pm at Cllr Burton’s house..


11.1. School markings TRO proposals. MKC is considering enforcing Traffic Regulation Orders to owners of vehicles parking on zigzag markings outside schools. To be placed on February agenda with a deadline of 16th February. Clerk to keep the school informed. ACTION: Clerk

11.2. Stonepits Close. Robert Brewis has enquired about the grazing licence from May to November 2008, it was agreed to offer this to him without going to tender. ACTION: Clerk


12.1. Part of the footpath to Newport Pagnell has been cleared, a good job done

12.2. A resident reported lack of visibility when turning into the High St from Church Road due to vehicles parked on the corner of the Knoll.

12.3. There has been press coverage about the National Lottery funding for cycle paths.

12.4. It was suggested that a letter of thanks be sent to Phil Smith for clearing away the debris from the Knoll after the Christmas tree was dismantled. ACTION: Clerk


13.1. Cllr Cook commented that it was sad to see the owners of Alban Hill nursery had sold their property.

13.2. Cllr Keene reported increasing incidences of cars parking on footpaths. It was agreed to put a note in SCAN magazine.

13.3. Cllr Wright asked if anyone had had a problem with rats in their loft, as he personally had.

13.4. Cllr Hyde noted that the relatively new manhole covers on Bedford Road are standing proud of the puddles surrounding them. It was agreed to contact MKC about this. ACTION: Clerk

13.5. Cllr Burton commented that the councillor vacancy has not yet been filled. It was suggested that some new advertising was needed. ACTION: Clerk

14. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 5th February 2008 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.40 pm

          Pages 1253 to 1255  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018