Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

January 2009

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 6th January 2009 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Peter Burton (Chair), David Keene, David Hyde, Lisa Masters, David Wright and Peter Cook

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk), Cllr Sam Potts and three other members of the public

Cllr Thomson


The minutes of the meeting held on 2nd December 2008 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

The post left vacant by Cllr Ian Thomson will be advertised as from Wednesday 7th January and unless within 14 days 10 electors have called for a by-election, the parish council will endeavour to co-opt a new councillor. ACTION: Clerk


5.1 Cycle path from Sherington to Newport Pagnell. A copy of the safety audit report has been received which recommends that the cycle lanes are not provided on the road owing to lack of remaining road width for vehicles. If the lanes are provided it is recommended that road repairs are carried out, the tree line should be cut back and protection should be given to cyclists at the Sherington Bridge junction. Cllrs commented on recent “near misses” on Alban Hill and enquired about the ongoing maintenance of the trees and hedges along the cycle routes. ACTION: Clerk

5.2 Street Lighting. Holophane will be adding the curved supports to lights where they are missing within the next month or so. ACTION: Clerk


Cllr Keene reported that the funding application to DEFRA aggregates fund for £7000 has been successful although a confirmation letter is awaited. It was agreed that although the majority of the planting will be done by professionals, there will be a community planting event in February, to be advertised in SCAN. Cllr Keene to let MKC know of the progress and arrange a meeting asap with other councillors to devise an action plan. ACTION: Cllr Keene, Clerk


Cllr Keene has not yet had time to review this but will do so and suggest any appropriate response to councillors before the deadline for comments on 21st January. ACTION: Cllr Keene


Further to the January SCAN article the parish council has now been notified that all of the trustees except Jeremy Hine will be staying on and John Cook will take over as Chairman of Trustees. Jason Giller will be taking over the position of Chairman of the management committee. Therefore no further involvement from the parish council is required.


9.1. Monthly balances. Enterprise Account £33619.50; Treasurer Account £8929.12

9.2. Cheques for payment were as follows:

06/01/2009E.ON Pavilion Electricity £33.63 101637
06/01/2009J W Cook & Son Perry Lane rent £100.00 101638
06/01/2009Milton Keynes Flooring Company Ltd Pavilion extension £2,858.03 101639
06/01/2009Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £167.30 101640
06/01/2009A H Contracts Dog bins £103.04 101641
06/01/2009Colin Scowen Perry Lane caretaker £50.00 101642
06/01/2009VOID Void £ - 101643
06/01/2009VOID Void £ - 101644
06/01/2009VOID Void £ - 101645
06/01/2009Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £42.00 101646


10.1. 08/01940/FUL 24 Gun Lane – demolish bungalow and erect new dwelling No adverse comment.

10.2. 08/01954/FUL 26 Gun Lane – change of land use. There was no objection in principle to this application but MKC will be requested to resolve the alleged boundary ownership dispute before making a decision.

10.3. Decisions. Permission has been granted to 12 Hillview and Winnowing Barn, High St.

10.4. Response to complaint to MKC Development Control. A response has been received from Peter Lawrence Head of Planning dept who insists that correct procedures have been followed but does not comment on the actual decisions made. Much discussion followed on whether to pursue the matter either with specific regard to Land adjacent to 10 Crofts End or in a more general sense and it was eventually agreed to draft a reply without yet requesting that the complaint be taken further. A decision on this will be taken in the light of any further reply from MKC. Cllr Keene reminded everyone that the amount of permitted development on a property that can take place without planning permission is increasing, therefore issues like this are likely to increase in the village. ACTION: Cllr Keene, Cllr Wright


11.1. Pavilion building project. Cllr Burton reported that the floor is still not dry enough to lay the damp proof membrane but this is now being resolved within the next week or so. Once the top level flooring is down the new extension will be nearly finished. New funding sources are still being investigated for the refurbishment project. ACTION: Cllr Burton, Clerk

11.2. Pavilion management group. Cllr Masters reported that booking enquiries are now being received and it was agreed to start taking bookings from 1st March. A meeting between the current group and parish councillors was arranged for 21st January to agree the next steps forward, and all councillors were urged to get involved at this early stage to get the group up and running. ACTION: Cllr Masters

11.3. Pitch and pavilion maintenance. MKC’s Euan Darling met Cllr Burton at the football pitch and rated its condition as 65/70% fair condition and capable of withstanding two matches per week. A quote for immediate and ongoing future maintenance has been received and will be considered for next year’s budget. The suggestion to move the pitch eastwards to allow the goal mouths to completely recover and also make room for a smaller pitch was well received. Cllr Wright commented that currently the cost of maintaining the pitch far exceeds any income gained from its hire. Sherington Football Club has reported that the Away team showers are not working and a quote has been received to refurbish them, this will also be considered for next year’s budget. ACTION: Cllr Burton, Clerk

11.4. Grounds man duties. Cllr Masters will meet with Bernard Crook Services to obtain a quote for the necessary landscaping work, and also see which tasks could be taken on by the caretaker ACTION: Cllr Masters


12.1. MKNECAF Wed 3rd December Cllr Hyde reported updates on wind farms, cycle paths, flooding remedial work in Stoke Goldington and Weston Underwood post office. It was reported that once again hardly any MKC officers were present to answer questions and it was agreed to forward the parish council’s previous comments on this to the new Chair Cllr Debbie Brock. ACTION: Clerk

12.2. MK Economic Summit 9th December. Cllr Keene was unable to attend.

12.3. Precept meeting for 2009/10 This is now Tuesday 13th January 8pm Cllr Cook’s house.




14.1. Potholes were reported outside Manor Farm and on Gun Lane. ACTION: Clerk

14.2. The vegetation on the footpath from Sherington to Newport Pagnell needs cutting back again. ACTION: Clerk

14.3. The post office will remain closed until further notice.

14.4. The road on the Sherington Bridge junction always floods after heavy rain. Cllr Cook suggested this was due to blocked ditches owned by J W Cook & Son but inaccessible due to the fence being in the way.

14.5. The most recent road sweeper visit to Water Lane was ineffective. ACTION: Clerk


15.1. Cllr Cook reported that the MKC owned ditches along the High St have still not been cleared. ACTION: Clerk

15.2. Cllr Masters chased for progress on replacing kerb setts on Crofts End and Hillview. ACTION: Clerk

15.3. Cllr Burton chased for progress on the Perry Lane car park and also reported that the small car park off School Lane is becoming overgrown. ACTION: Clerk

16. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 3rd February 2009 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.31pm

          Pages 1279 to 1281  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018