Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

July 2013

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 2nd July 2013 at Sherington Village Hall, commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs A Denman, J Ager, D Hyde, M Northfield and I Collinge

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk) and three members of the public.

Cllr Cook. Ward Cllr McLean also sent his apologies.


The minutes of the meeting held on 4th June 2013 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

The clerk reported that one application has been received; it was agreed to set a deadline of 31st July 2013 for any more applications, with a view to co-opt a new councillor at the September meeting. ACTION: Clerk


5.1 Cllr McLean was absent but had sent a report to the Clerk that the Local Government Boundary Commission has made its final recommendation that, despite objections from a few rural wards such as Sherington to stay as is there should be 19 wards with 3 councillors per ward. This means that Sherington ward will be combined with Olney ward and Stoke Goldington and Gayhurst will both be transferred to the new Newport Pagnell North and Hanslope ward.

5.2 Cllr McLean had also reported that he and MKC officers were currently investigating alternative public transport arrangements for evenings and weekends between Newport Pagnell and Olney.

5.3 Cllr Denman reported that JW Cook & Son were discussing the use of the "sledging" field with The White Hart for the Beer & Sausage Festival next year. An initial concern over the adjacent fast road into Newport Pagnell was raised. It was agreed to invite representatives from both parties to the September parish council meeting. ACTION: Clerk


6.1 Stonepits Copse arboriculturist's report. Jason Down from Oakland Tree Services reported that approximately 45-50 trees have died and at least 30 should be replaced now for the sake of continuity, even though some thinning may be needed in 10-15 years. There is a high volume of weeds that need to be strimmed away and some of the weaker trees should be mulched to prevent more weeds, promote good growth and protect against moisture loss. Many trees need ties or spiral guards removing where they are damaging the bark. Councillors were reminded that Sherington School is currently nurturing around 30 saplings that will be ready for planting out at the woodland in the Autumn, the clerk will liaise with the school. Councillors agreed to ask Jason for a quote to carry out the other work he recommends, and as the next meeting is not until September to agree by email to request the work is carried out as soon as possible if the quote is deemed reasonable. The clerk also reported that the woodland will be mowed asap by Peter Crook, as previously agreed, now that the spring bulbs have died back. The clerk asked the councillors if they were happy to investigate costs of using railway sleepers to make naturally rustic benches that are more in keeping with the woodland setting. This was agreed. ACTION: Clerk

6.2 Horse Chestnut at village hall play area. Jason Down from Oakland Tree Services suggested that the horse chestnut was perhaps the wrong tree for the location. It will continue to affect the ground where the pre-school play area is now situated so the options are either full removal at a cost of £200 or 3 yearly pruning and shaping to keep the root system under control. The clerk reported that the pre-school have secured grant funding to renovate the play area but would like the tree removed to make the best use of the money. It was agreed that there are plenty of other trees nearby, and that a renovation of the pre-school play area would benefit other children as well as the pre-school attendees, so a decision was made to have the tree removed. ACTION: Clerk

6.3 Consent to prune Lime on The Knoll. The clerk reported that consent to prune a lime tree on The Knoll has been granted. Cllr Denman reported that a resident had queried the parish council's right to maintain the trees; the clerk confirmed that The Knoll is registered as a Village Green and Sherington Parish Council is the custodian.

6.4 Gun Lane bin. The clerk reported that MKC Waste Services have confirmed that the current refuse contractor will empty a new litter bin on Gun Lane on a weekly basis as it is on their route. Clerk to now arrange purchase and installation of bin, together with a sticker that it can also be used for dog waste. ACTION: Clerk


7.1 Bank Account balance at 2nd July 2013 £18826.43

7.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

02/07/2013Oakland Tree Services Ltd Tree maintenance £570.00 102117
02/07/2013Bucks Playing Fields Association Subscription £20.00 102118
02/07/2013E.ON Electricity for pavilion £109.69 102119
02/07/2013D C Blunt Gardening Services Mowing £840.00 102120
02/07/2013D C Blunt Gardening Services Perry Lane groundsman £558.00 102120
02/07/2013Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker/bookings £100.00102121
02/07/2013Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £196.33 102122
02/07/2013HMRC Clerk's PAYE £43.29 102123
02/07/2013Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £42.00 102124

7.3. Approval of cost to empty Stonepits bin. The clerk has confirmed with MKC Waste Services that a litter bin at Stonepits Copse woodland would not be emptied for free as it is 140m from the Highway. However the current dog bin contractor has confirmed he will empty a litter bin for the same cost as a dog bin i.e. £2.50 each time. This expenditure was approved in principle for when it is deemed appropriate to install a litter bin at the woodland. ACTION: Clerk


8.1. 13/01100/REM Land adjacent to 2 Hillview - Reserved matters pursuant to outline planning permission 12/00914/OUT for erection of detached bungalow. Councillors were unsure exactly what was being asked of them and questioned whether full consent had already been granted, especially as the builder has begun clearing the site. Cllr Denman agreed to contact the planning officer. ACTION: Cllr Denman

8.2. Decisions. The application for 10 Park Road was permitted.


9.1. Pavilion management group. Cllr Ager reported that the next meeting was Thursday 11th July and a report on the recent village fete would soon be available.

9.2. Proposals for improvements to lighting and pavilion exterior. Proposals for improvements to the pavilion's exterior lighting and paving slabs have not yet been agreed. It was acknowledged that there are drainage issues around the pavilion and Cllr Denman proposed that the parish council should wait until MKC Housing have completed their drainage works from the garages across the car park before agreeing on a drainage resolution. The management committee was asked to agree on requirements for lighting and paving at their next meeting. The clerk stated that the parish council could now not meet the end of July deadline to apply to the Community Safety Fund for help with the expenditure, however money for pavilion improvements has already been allocated from the parish council's own budget and this can be added to next year if necessary. ACTION: Cllrs Denman, Ager and SPMG

9.3. Proposals for improvements to pavilion heating. The clerk reported receiving a £600 electricity bill that is believed at least in part to be due to the over use of the down flow heaters during the past year. Cllr Denman proposed disconnecting the down flow heaters and making proper use of the night storage heaters, which if operated properly should provide sufficient heat for the newer part of the building. Cllr Denman will contact the caretaker to advise how this should be carried out. ACTION: Cllr Denman


10.1. NECAF Thursday 20th June Cllr Hyde attended this meeting where presentations on the new Public Access System for Environmental Services; Neighbourhood Management; and the Children and Families Practices were given. Other items included proposals for the Parish Warden service and the Nunn Wood wind farm. (Post meeting note: the next NECAF is Wednesday 18th September 7.30pm at The Olney Centre)


11.1. Census 2011 analysis for Sherington ward. A 28 page document containing the 2011 Census statistics regarding Sherington ward has been circulated. The clerk commented that many of the findings are similar to those for Sherington village.


12.1. A resident asked about the reinstatement of the pavement outside the new gate in The Manor wall opposite Carters Close. The clerk confirmed this has been reported to MKC and will be chased. ACTION: Clerk

12.2. Satisfaction was expressed about the relocation of the Beer and Sausage festival.

12.3. A resident reported guttering and downpipes at the pavilion that need attention. ACTION: SPMG

12.4. It was suggested that the purpose of the different entrances to the pavilion were getting confused. The clerk confirmed that the pavilion is intended to have a dual purpose, with the old and new parts of the building capable of being used simultaneously. Cllr Collinge suggested more or better signage would help.


13.1 Cllr Hyde proposed a letter of thanks to Jeff Charles and his fete committee for a successful event in adverse weather conditions owing to a lot of hard work. ACTION: Clerk

14. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 3rd September 2013 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting ended at 9.08 pm

          Pages 1440 to 1442 8  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018