Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

July 2014

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 1st July 2014 at Sherington Village Hall, commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs A Denman (Chair), J Ager, D Hyde, M Northfield and I Collinge.

ALSO ATTENDING: : Wendy Austyn (Clerk), Cllr Keith McLean and nine members of the public.

Cllrs J Cook and S Cook


The minutes of the meeting held on 3rd June 2014 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman


4.1 Fence at VH play area. The clerk reported that the repair of the 3 narrow sections has been delayed but will be underway as soon as possible. The ascot fence on The Knoll has been repaired, see also item 6.3. ACTION: Clerk

4.2 High St (Alban Hill) ditch and drainage update The clerk reported that she has chased for further progress on this but has not received an update. ACTION: Clerk

4.3 Stonepits Copse woodland mowing. The annual mow of the community woodland will take place by end of July.

4.4 Request to access village hall play area A request from a local arboriculturist to access the play area in order to fell a poplar tree on The Old Rectory land has been received. The parish council has been assured that all proper safety measures will be in place and if any section of the fence has to be removed it will be replaced exactly as it was. Councillors agreed that the proper process has been followed and granted permission. ACTION: Clerk

4.5 Funding request. A request for funding from the Historical Society has just been received. The clerk will circulate and place on the September agenda. ACTION: Clerk


Keith McLean had nothing to report except that the new administration is settling in following the recent local elections.


6.1 Bank Account balance at 1st July 2014 £22,258.77

6.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

01/07/2014D C Blunt Gardening Services Mowing £1398.00102219
01/07/2014Sean's Outside Services Knoll fencing repair £180.00 102220
01/07/2014Anglian Water Water for pavilion £102.71 102221
01/07/2014Sports Ground Services Mowing rec field £414.00 102222
01/07/2014HMR&C Clerk's PAYE £55.71 102223
01/07/2014Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker/bookings £100.00102224
01/07/2014Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £42.00102225
01/07/2014Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £188.46102226

6.3. Approval of Knoll fence repair. Councillors agreed the cost of £180 to repair the Knoll fence between meetings.

6.4. Costs to advertise clerk vacancy in local press. The clerk reported quotes received to advertise in the local press, both in the newspapers and online. It was agreed that the costs were prohibitive, especially when many villages don't receive local papers. Councillors considered the current advertising for the clerk vacancy to be adequate.


7.1. 14/00894/TCA C J Haynes, The Knoll - Notification of intent to pollard two Elder trees - The chairman noted the applicant is actually the owner of 10 High St whose property is adjacent to C J Haynes but that he had spoken to Bernard Haynes who was happy with the proposals. There were no adverse comments. ACTION: Clerk

7.2. 14/01273/FUL and 14/01274/LBC The Manor 4 High St - Demolition of single storey extension and rear conservatory, replacement with part single storey, part two storey rear extension; minor internal and external alterations; construction of a basement for home cinema; conversion of Road Barn into two bedroom apartment with garages; plus Listed Building Consent for the same. Councillors commented that the proposals appeared to be well thought out and had no adverse comments to make. ACTION: Clerk

7.3. Decisions. The application for The Granary 7 Manor Courtyard was refused; the application for 14 School Lane has been permitted and the application for The Old Rectory 16 School Lane has a split decision i.e. partial consent and partial refusal. Detailed documents can be accessed via the MKC Planning website.


8.1. Management committee report. The committee next meets on Thursday 3rd July.


9.1. NECAF Meeting 19th June 2014 Cllr Collinge attended this meeting and reminded the meeting that the public were also invited to attend. Topics discussed included the new Highways contract held by Ringway and the new Landscaping contract held by Serco. The meeting was also reminded that the High St in Sherington is due for some resurfacing this month. The next meeting is on Thursday 11th September 2014 at Emberton Pavilion.


Consultation on Draft Minerals Local Plan. This item actually took place after item 3. A Draft Minerals Local Plan is due to go out for consultation over the summer, although MKC Cabinet members have deferred their decision to allow the consultation from 23rd July which would have required comments by 3rd September, with a new deadline of early October yet to be confirmed. Gillian Pawson from GP Planning Ltd was at the meeting and kindly supplied the parish council with information relating to the draft proposals to extract minerals from land between Sherington and Lathbury. MKC recently asked for more potential extraction sites to be identified as there is currently inadequate tonnage for a 20 year period. Acting on behalf of the Cook family she has begun the process of analysing the aforementioned land to see if mineral extraction is viable. Having dug 26 boreholes over the area, she has currently ascertained that there is mineral present but not how much nor whether it will be feasible to carry out extraction. Many factors must be considered including impact on amenities, logistics, economics, archaeology, flood risk, highway impact etc. When there is more information, refined plans will be submitted for consideration by MKC. If MKC agree that a larger reserve in this locality should be allocated, it will be included in the next version of the Draft Minerals Local Plan, which is likely to go out for another consultation in 2015. The chairman allowed comments from the public during this item - concerns were raised regarding land restoration, dust and noise, residents having no say, devaluation of property etc. Gillian stressed that this project is still in its very early stages and all the proper consultation and planning application processes will be followed. She also stated that the planning system has to ensure that there is no negative impact on the surrounding area when considering any application. The chairman thanked Gillian for her input and she left the meeting at 8.15pm.


11.1 An update on the shop was requested. Cllr Northfield reported that a meeting with a prospective tenant has taken place and it is hoped that the new tenant will take over in July or August. The application to extend the temporary planning consent has been recommended for approval and is to be heard by the Development Control committee on 8th July 2014.

11.2 A resident at Sherington Bridge raised concern over possible flooding impact in Newport Pagnell if the mineral extraction in Sherington/Lathbury goes ahead.


12.1 Cllr Collinge suggested that the parish council create a register of local tradesmen who are willing to estimate for and carry out work for the parish council. This was agreed and will be handed over to the new clerk when appointed. ACTION: Clerk

12.2 Cllr Hyde reported that the footpath on Crofts End opposite the entrance to Carters Close, where a property is being developed is being left in a mess. Cllr Denman offered to speak to the builders. ACTION: Cllr Denman

13. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 2nd September 2014 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting ended at 8.45 pm

          Pages 1470 to 1472  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018