Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

July 2003

Minutes of the Meeting at the School on Tuesday 1st July 2003 at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllr David Keene (Chair), Cllr Peter Burton, Cllr Bill Lewis, Cllr David Hyde, Cllr Peter Cook.


2. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: The minutes of the Meeting held on 3rd June were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.


3.1 Repairs in Village: Work is progressing on the renovation of the seats in the village.

3.2 Village Hall Car Park: Cllr Keene had as yet been unable to arrange a meeting, this will be done before the September meeting of the Parish Council. ACTION: Cllr Keene

3.3 Sherington Mound: Milton Keynes Council had replied to the Parish Councils comments on the extent of the work on the mound. They have stated that they have no finance for this purpose, but suggest that a grant be applied for via the Countryside Agency. It was agreed that Clerk should contact Jan Phillips at Milton Keynes Council, who will be able to assist. ACTION: Clerk

3.4 Multi Activity Area: Several Councillors had visited the newly installed area at Lavendon and thought that it could be suitable for the village. Cllr Burton will try and arrange for some of the young people to inspect this facility and give their views. Further discussion will take place with Bernard Perkins (MKC) after which a consultation with the residents will be necessary. We will hopefully be in a position to make progress on this item at the September meeting. ACTION: Cllr Burton

3.5 Electricity Board Quotation: Cllr Hyde advised that he had suggested that a quotation be obtained, in order that this subject should be discussed at regular intervals. Cllr Keene suggested that this item be included in the village appraisal discussions, when they resume in the Autumn.

3.6 Vacancies for Councillors: Cllr Keene advised that the Parish Council will be advised after 12th July whether or not an election has been requested.


Current Balances: Clerk provided balance sheet, which showed 637.00 in the Treasurers Account and 9,524.62 in the Enterprise Account.

Cheques for Payment: It was agreed that the following cheques be authorised:

BALC Good Councillor Guide Cheque 101133 14.00
Powergen Electric Cheque 101134 22.93
J Sharp Clerks July Salary Cheque 101135 176.50
J Sharp Expenses April-June Cheque 101136 28.55
Sports Ground Services Mowing Cheque 101137 305.50

5. PLANNING MATTERS: There were no planning applications for discussion this month.


Cllr Hyde had been unable to attend the Parish Assembly meeting.

North Area Forum: Cllr Keene had attended and reported that only three of the thirteen Parish Councils were represented. The three Milton Keynes Councillors were however present together with officers from Milton Keynes Council. Andy Hudson had given a presentation on the waste aspect and advised which items were collected free of charge and which were charged for. The Fly Tipping and Streetcare programmes were also discussed.

Cllr Keene to complete the Best Value Review on Services to Parishes on behalf of the Parish Council. The next meeting will be held on 20th November at Stoke Goldington.


Section 136 Consultative Committee Vote: It was agreed that the Council would vote for Cynthia Cheney from Emberton Parish Council.

Parish Partnership Grant: Letter had been received advising that a grant of 4,000 has been allocated for the purchase of a new store to replace the dilapidated one at Perry Lane Recreation Field. Cllr Keene will contact Mr J Cook before the next meeting and ask him to obtain firm quotations. Emergency repairs have had to be carried out on the door of the building. ACTION: Cllr Keene

Stonepits Close: Letter sent to Cllr Keene by Mr Clarke. This will be circulated to Councillors. No discussion has yet taken place on this item, will be put on the September Agenda.


Mr Hulston advised that dogs were being taken into the play area at the Village Hall. Clerk has some larger signs which she will let Councillors have. A notice will also be put in the Scan, advising that dogs are not allowed and if this activity continues, then the Dog Welfare Officer from Milton Keynes Council will be asked to investigate and prosecute if necessary.

Mrs Feasey advised that the School sign in School Lane was obscured by bushes. Mrs Feasey kindly offered to cut this back. The signs in the village are in need of cleaning. Clerk will bring this to the attention of Milton Keynes Council. ACTION: Clerk

Mrs Graham asked about the times the Shooting Range was allowed to operate. Cllr Keene suggested that she phone David Rusling at Milton Keynes Council.

30mph Limit in Gun Lane: Mrs Graham asked when this was due to be moved. Clerk advised that Traffic Orders take a considerable time to impose.

Green Wheelie Bins: Mrs Graham congratulated MKC on the introduction of these and thought that the same bins should be introduced for all rubbish

Village Fete: Mrs Graham congratulated those involved in the very successful Fete.

Multi Activity Area: Mrs Graham raised concern over the policing of the area which would be used for a variety of activities.


Community Safety Launch: Cllr Lewis advised that he will be attending this event.

Village Fete: Cllr Hyde suggested that a letter of congratulations be sent to Mrs Stewart and the Committee on the success of the Fete. Parish Council are very pleased with the involvement of the residents and the village organisations, who will benefit from the proceeds.

Play Area: Cllr Hyde raised his concerns at the demise of the inspection rota, this was required to meet the conditions of the insurance cover. As soon as there is a full quota of Councillors, then a new rota will be produced. In the meantime Cllr Burton agreed to carry out a weekly inspection of the Play Area and keep a log. ACTION: Cllr Burton

Village Name Signs: Cllr Burton commented that there were no name signs on the Bedford Road and Gun Lane entries to the village. He was advised that these are only placed on the main road.

Trees in Play Area: Mr Whatton had advised Cllr Keene that one tree in the play area had died and two Chestnuts were looking unhealthy. Cllr Hyde advised that there were some Chestnut trees in the Churchyard which also looked sick. Village Trees to be put on September Agenda.

10. DATE OF NEXT MEETING: This will be held on TUESDAY 2nd September 2003 at 7.30pm.

The Meeting closed at 8.47pm

Pages 1044 to 1045            

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018