Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

July 2005

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 3th July 2005 in the Village Hall, Sherington commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs David Hyde (Chair), Bill Lewis (Vice Chair), Peter Cook, Peter Burton, Bob Finn and Sarah Jackson.

ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk) and 7 public.

1. APOLOGIES Cllr Keene.

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST Cllr Burton declared an interest in the Sherington Residents Management Group item.

3. MINUTES of LAST MEETING The minutes of the meeting held on 7th June 2005 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

4. MATTERS ARISING

4.1. Cycle Path. The Chairman read an email from Richard Duffill in which he explained that the new plans had been delayed due to department restructuring but expected them to be ready within a month. It was agreed to meet with him after that. Cllr Lewis reported that he had spoken to John Belcher from Thames Valley Police Traffic Management about the proposed route down from Alban Hill. John expressed concern at the proposal to remove the central markings thereby forcing traffic into the middle of the road. It was agreed to write to Richard Duffill and ask that John Belcher be consulted as part of the process. ACTION: Clerk.

4.2 Footpaths and Roadside kerbing in village. The clerk reported that as part of the 5/10 year plan, MKC have identified High St, School Lane, Church Rd, Park Rd, Bedford Rd and Crofts End for carriageway resurfacing/kerbing. Carters Close, Hill View and Footpath no. 20 have been identified for footpath reconstruction/resurfacing. It was agreed to request that a more permanent solution for Bedford Rd be found, and to include Gun Lane and Church End in the kerbing program. ACTION: Clerk.

4.3. Street Lighting, Water Lane. Cllr Jackson reported that the 3 new street lights now need to be ordered from MKC, and formally proposed the expenditure for this, seconded by Cllr Lewis. The new lights may need to be moved from the current positions, so MKC will need to find suitable locations for them. ACTION: Clerk

12.6. Letter re development at Smith’s Yard. This item was brought forward so that surveyor John Drake could leave afterwards. A letter has been received on behalf of Smith’s Yard about the possibility of redeveloping the yard for residential purposes. Although development in Sherington is not part of the current MK Local Plan, the council considered that the Village Appraisal does allow for continual development on a small scale and allowing this development would open up possibilities for other proposals in the village. It was agreed that more detailed proposals would need to be seen before further consideration could be made.

5. VILLAGE REPAIRS

5.1. Gas pipeline - Transco/Murphy repairs. The Chairman has spoken to Nick Brown who continues to issue defect notices to Transco but no further progress has been made. The Gun Lane triangle now has a ridge of earth around its border but it was agreed that this was an unacceptable solution. It was agreed to write to Transco expressing the council’s dissatisfaction, copy to Lilian Drew. ACTION: Clerk

5.2 AW site adjacent to Mound. The tyres and equipment have been removed and a wire strand fence has been erected to mark the border between the land and the mound.

6. THE KNOLL/STONEPITS CLOSE
The Clerk reported that MKC were unable to help with proving ownership of the Knoll or Stone pits Close and have now suggested contacting Bucks CC Archives at Aylesbury. ACTION: Clerk. The Chairman reported that Tony Pilcher has suggested a much cheaper alternative re supplying electricity to the Knoll from his house using heavy duty rubber cable covering, such as is used for temporary traffic lights, which could be removed when no longer required.

7. SHERINGTON RESIDENTS MANAGEMENT GROUP

Main items from the SRMG minutes of meeting held 27th June.

7.1. Proposals for the new playground equipment are currently being produced, with work hopefully starting mid-August

7.2. The drawings and application for the extension to the car park have yet to be submitted. Repair work should commence forthwith.

7.3. A grant for £6682 to buy and install the BMX circuit has been awarded.

7.4. An updated Development Plan should be ready by mid-September.

7.5. The pavilion has recently been left in an unacceptable condition, and it was agreed to appoint a caretaker to start immediately. Cllr Jackson agreed to meet with the prospective candidate to discuss duties and terms. ACTION: Cllr Jackson

8. PERRY LANE MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

8.1. The new management committee have met and appointed representatives from the main user groups. It has been suggested that a representative from the parish council should also be on the committee.

8.2. The clerk reported that it would seem Sherington FC have not been invoiced for the 2004/05 season. The July 2004 minutes state that the charge should be £120 so this is to be invoiced immediately. ACTION: Clerk. It was also agreed that Cllr Burton would contact Jason Giller to ascertain from SFC who will negotiate the fee for the 2005/06 season. ACTION: Cllr Burton

9. ANGLIAN WATER - WATER LANE
Cllr Cook is to speak to a colleague at Anglian Water about the ownership of the ditch behind Smith’s Yard. Roy Smith remembered the transaction that took place and will see if he has retained any paperwork. The residents of Water Lane have recently been asked to detail records of flooding, it was agreed to write to AW and ask for the results of the survey. ACTION: Clerk.

10. FINANCE

10.1 Monthly balances. Enterprise Account £10969.15; Treasurer Account £3592.45

10.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

27/06/2005Waste Recycling Ltd Perry Lane CTP £1979.00 101259
05/07/2005Powergen Pavilion Electric £33.92 101260
05/07/2005W. Austyn Clerk's Salary £160.06 101261
05/07/2005W. Austyn Clerk's Expenses £24.14 101262
05/07/2005A H Contracts Dog Bins £35.20 101263
05/07/2005Sports Ground Services Mowing Rec Field £472.35 101264

11. TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT

11.1. 30mph signs. The Chairman reported that the old 30mph signs have finally been removed, although the posts remain until the power supply is disconnected.

11.2. Signage at Sherington Bridge. The clerk reported that Andy Coe had visited the site but could not suggest any additional signage apart from more SLOW road markings. He is however open to suggestions which councillors agreed to think about.

12. PLANNING

12.1. 05/00721/FUL 25 Crofts End. Cllrs consider this to be an overdevelopment of the site which is too small for the new bungalow proposed.

12.2. 05/00720/FUL 25 Crofts End. Councillors had no adverse comments to the extension to the existing bungalow, provided that the height covenant is not breached.

12.3. 05/00830/FUL 54 Carters Close. - councillors had no adverse comments

12.4. 05/00768/MIN Sherington Shooting Ground. – The Chairman reported that he understood from the owners of SSG that the applicant would withdraw the application temporarily so as to allow the noise attenuation report which is now being prepared, to be considered by councillors at their September meeting.

12.5. Letters re land owned by B Kyte. The owner wishes his field in front of the church to be considered for development, possibly for affordable housing. Cllrs agreed that they need to see more detailed proposals, but are aware of the need for limited development in the village. It was agreed that the council would meet informally before September to look at the broader issue of development possibilities and update the village appraisal accordingly. It may be that a survey of residents is required to establish the need for affordable housing.

12.6. Letter re Smith's Yard. See item after Matters Arising

13. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

13.1. MKC Planning Seminars 8th and 30th June. Cllr Lewis reported that useful presentations were given on the planning system and procedures, including at local parish council level.

13.2. New Planning system briefing 22nd July. The clerk will enquire as to whether the new system was covered at the recent seminars.

14. CORRESPONDENCE
A questionnaire has been received from the Planning department. It was agreed that the Chairman would review it and see whether it is appropriate for the council to respond. ACTION: Chairman

15. PUBLIC COMMENTS

15.1. A resident enquired as to the particulars of the brick construction that has appeared on the corner of Perry Lane and Bedford Road. It was confirmed that the council has not been made aware of this development and it was agreed to contact MKC Planning to make enquiries. ACTION: Clerk

15.2. It was reported that the Thames Valley Neighbourhood Watch officer has expressed disappointment over the lack of attendees at the June meeting at which she gave a presentation. The clerk confirmed that a note had appeared in Scan and that posters have recently been put on the notice boards.

16. COUNCILLORS ITEMS

16.1. Cllr Finn was pleased to report that John Risby has kindly donated a Christmas Tree to the village for the Knoll. It will require trimming nearer the time

16.2. Cllr Finn enquired as to whether Sherington PC is a “very small” council and therefore eligible for 75% parish partnership funding. The clerk will check. ACTION: Clerk.

16.3. Cllr Lewis offered thanks to the fete organisers for a very successful event this year. It was agreed to send a note of thanks from the council. ACTION: Clerk.

16.4. Cllr Jackson reported increasing amounts of rubbish in the bus shelter. It was agreed to place a note in Scan and also to ask the new caretakers to keep an eye on it. ACTION: Cllr Jackson

17. DATE OF NEXT MEETING: The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 6th September 2005 in the Village Hall at 7.30pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.50pm.

          Pages 1136 to 1139  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018